Interesting, calories and horses.

Sparkles

Visit site
After seeing another post on here about how many calories and weight loss and a few responses, got me thinking.....if you actually stopped and counted up exactly how many calories you have each day, what would it be?

Popped into google and got some approximate calories up for different foods, and for example today, factoring in everything food and drink since I woke up....it came to a grand total of 597, approximate depending on portions in relation to calories etc etc so maybe a bit more into the low 600's.

That I believe, is quite poor. However that, give or take a snack or two on an occasional indulgent day, is pretty much average, thinking about it.
To me, that is normal. I have been exercising a bit more over the past month, been doing a bit of light jogging and sit-ups some evenings and then doing the horses during the day for my work [so mucking out just 7 at the moment, riding a few, walking checking fields, muck heap etc].
I'll admit, occasionally some days I may buy a sneaky chocolate bar...however, currently a tight arse where money is concerned so no chocolate or extras on the cards currently!

I feel fine. Have lost some weight, but nothing drastic. Back to a healthy size 10 now, but still a few 'wobbly' bits round the hips! I was just quite shocked to see the average recommended daily calories in relation to what you actually get.

Doesn't necessarily have to be just working with horses, even if you work elsewhere during the day, etc. Just was curious for some comparisons.

What's everyone else's on average?

Last edited:

matt_m

Visit site
597 calories in a day is very low - considering the 'average' woman should consume 2000 a day (average guy 2500).

Sparkles

Visit site
Hence why I was a bit shocked with the difference. I can only think the estimated calories for the foods was off.

I had lunch during the day today, for example, 2 scones, and then dinner in the evening [2 sausages and a small serving of chips, by small I mean, maybe 10 on the plate lol?]. Plus 4 cups of tea and a glass of milk. Normally like to have a portion of fruit for breakfast, but didn't have any today.
That was what I calculated which came to that amount said. Again, no idea how accurate that is.

Give or take maybe a portion of fruit and a snack some days, that is pretty much standard.

Last edited:

Pixxie

Visit site
Well today was an abnormal day for me I did binge a little I won't lie and feel terribly guilty for it. I'm quite careful usually and on work days i reckon i average about 700 and non work days probably closer to the 1000 mark (boredom makes the fridge very attractive) I don't know i could physically eat 2000 calories a day really :/ unless high volumes of sugar were involved!!

mandwhy

Visit site
Gosh 600 is very low I'd have that for dinner! When I am being very disciplined I try to get under 1000 but I think between 1500 to 2000 normally. I blame OH, was much less when single.

I'd expect you to be losing weight on that much even if you never moved?!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Depends on whether I manage not to nip out of the office to go to Home Bargains or not. On a good day - such as today - shredded wheat for breakfast, pot of baked beans for lunch (doesn't make me popular with my colleagues!), and an apple, and fish and salad for tea.
On a bad day would be something like two cakes from the artisan bakery for breakfast, a baguette with crisps for lunch, a trip to home bargains for a multipack of mars bars (I can eat seven mars bars in 20 minutes) and a multipack of cheesy wotsits (sometimes interspersed with the mars bars for a bit of sweet/savoury variation) and then possibly a pizza for tea. So I suppose I vary between about 1000 and 10000 calories a day!

Due to trying to reduce my cholesterol I am pleased to report that I am currently having more good days than bad days at the moment!

Buds_mum

Visit site
Are you actually sure? I found the opposite that foods have a huge amount of hidden calories in yet most exercise burns of far fewer than it feels like! When you work out that the average slice of white bread has about 150kcals in then an average sandwich can be nearly up to 500kcals with decent filling. (hence I've removed bread from my diet now as I found sandwiches far too easy to have as a snack!) Out of interest what have you had today? 600 is very very low for average daily intake....

HollyB66

Visit site
My guess is that you are either starving yourself or you've done your maths wrong lol.

I eat approx 2000 calories a day, weigh 8st and am a size 8/10

Sparkles

Visit site
No idea, I reckon the estimates must be way off lol!!!!! Hence me being shocked by the results lol!

Buds_mum

Visit site
Wow don't know how you keep going on so little, I have to eat 3 x a day + a snack or I'd think I would faint! On major diet now though so learning to cope with feeling hungry :(

Buds_mum

Visit site
No prob about right, two scones what about 400cals plus two saus at 100 odd calories each plus 100 odd cals worth of chips, pluuus 100 or so for your milk.... Very very roughly lol!

rhino

Visit site
I had lunch during the day today, for example, 2 scones, and then dinner in the evening [2 sausages and a small serving of chips, by small I mean, maybe 10 on the plate lol?]. Plus 4 cups of tea and a glass of milk. Normally like to have a portion of fruit for breakfast, but didn't have any today.
That was what I calculated which came to that amount said. Again, no idea how accurate that is.

However many calories that is (and I would be surprised if it was under 600) that is a poor quality diet indeed. Anything under 800 is classes as 'restrictive' and is not recommended unless under strict medical supervision and for extreme and unusual circumstances.

Saying that, I do think that 2000 calories is probably too much for anyone who isn't particularly physically active, this figure dates back to when people were generally more active and less likely to be overweight.

1000 - 1200 is really the minimum that is suggested, and that should result in weight loss even if not combined with moderate exercise. Please look after yourself! :)

itsonlyme

Visit site
I do the 'my fitness pal' app, which includes a calorie counter. Im currently trying to shift a stone, so have no more than 1200 calories a day. Most days it's easy, but one little bit of naughtiness (mcdonalds or pizza hut for example!) massively cocks it all up! It's quite shocking when the app works out your daily nutritional intake. I started taking vitamins because i was so deprived of everything! :(

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
There was a show on C4 a month or so ago that this reminds me of, 'secret eaters' or something like that. Basically it showed each week how easy it is f to underestimate how many calories you've eaten.

For example, the calculator you used probably had a standard number of calories for say a 'scone', but did you just have them plain? or with butter/jam etc? because that's more calories that probably wouldn't have been included in your tally, similarly did you have ketchup or mayonnaise with chips etc? (condiments are surprisingly calorie high!). All those little 'extras' that are easy to overlook add up!

Last edited:

Sparkles

Visit site
I personally find weight a bit of a struggle, I don't really 'care' about it nor think of myself as overweight....but equally, I had a bad year a couple of years back and put on far too much, which I never want to go back to again and do worry about that.

Equally, again, on some days, I will have a bad binge day and buy a packet of crisps and have a have a do-nut or chocolate bar or something when I'm at the shop. But, it's not a daily thing now. I used to have say a packet of crisps a day, always fizzy drinks, etc....now I try and stick to fruit juices if I want cold drinks now instead. I certainly don't feel I'm starving myself, far from it. If I feel hungry [genuinely hungry, not bored hungry], then I'll have something....if not, then I'm just trying hard not to now. If I can, I'd rather be constantly doing stuff, than sat around bored. Something during the day and then dinner. I don't feel any worse off. Get plenty of sleep, etc.

Last edited:

Sparkles

Visit site
There was a show on C4 a month or so ago that this reminds me of, 'secret eaters' or something like that. Basically it showed each week how easy it is for you to underestimate how many calories you've eaten. For example, the calculator you used probably had a standard number of calories for say a 'scone', but did you just have them plain? or with butter/jam etc? because thats more calories that probably wouldn't have been included in your tally, similarly did you have ketchup or mayonnaise with chips etc? (condiments are surprisingly calorie high!). All those little 'extras' that are easy to overlook add up!

Very good point! I added the sugar for tea and milk...but couldn't find butter for scones. And peas. Forgot the peas. lol.

Anyway....sorry, I'm going into this way too seriously now lol. Was just curious for comparisons that's all, just wondered whether horses did limit it for people or not, working with them through the day etc.
I did say I don't know how accurate my source I used was, I just went on a health website and used the stats they had on it. There's probably tonnes of stuff overlooked that I forget about including.

Last edited:

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I personally find weight a bit of a struggle, I don't really 'care' about it nor think of myself as overweight....but equally, I had a bad year a couple of years back and put on far too much, which I never want to go back to again and do worry about that.

Equally, again, on some days, I will have a bad binge day and buy a packet of crisps and have a have a do-nut or chocolate bar or something when I'm at the shop. But, it's not a daily thing now. I used to have say a packet of crisps a day, always fizzy drinks, etc....now I try and stick to fruit juices if I want cold drinks now instead. I certainly don't feel I'm starving myself, far from it. If I feel hungry [genuinely hungry, not bored hungry], then I'll have something....if not, then I'm just trying hard not to now. If I can, I'd rather be constantly doing stuff, than sat around bored. Something during the day and then dinner. I don't feel any worse off. Get plenty of sleep, etc.
So, ok to refer to another documentary 'The men who made us fat' (final programme of it still available on iPlayer, I'd really recommend it, very interesting watching), just because something appears healthier doesn't necessarily mean its lower calorie. Fruit juices, and in particular smoothies, although 'better' than fizzy drinks in most people's minds often have a higher calorie count. They may well also contain more nutrients than say coke (which is essentially 'empty calories' as my Dad would say, just calories with no other nutritional benefits like vitamins, minerals or amino acids) but also more sugar = more calories.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I ate more than double what I do now when I worked ft with horses, if not more. And I agree its easy not to realise how many calories are in stuff, I assumed I ate around 3000 plus a few snacks, drinks etc. Not being a dieter I hadn't bothered to look how many calories are in a few choc bars, biscuits, crisps etc.

Sparkles

Visit site
Might check that out thanks :) I don't choose them because I think they've less calories so to speak, I never normally think of calories as such, which is why I decided to just randomly look into it tonight from another previous post, out of curiosity. I just don't like how bloated fizzy drinks make you feel, where-as, juices I find don't. No idea in nutritional differences if I'm honest! ATM eating less because I refuse to pay for extra 'junk' at the moment, have other things to put money towards currently than snacks. Did a tally up a month or so ago and realising just how much actually went on buying food, so decided to try and cut any snacks/extras out. So far it's working. Again, today was a bad example to use I think, as I did have an abnormally smaller meal and not a lot of much healthy today lol.

m1stify

Visit site
I'd say you are underestimating OP. I do WW so basically know calories of everything! All scones are not created equal. Some are huge! E.g the M&S scone from their cafe/bakery is a whopping 9 pro points which is about 350 cals!! More than a croissant! I always thought scones were a healthy option. BTW are you counting tea and coffee cos it all adds up I keep 2 pts a day to allow for this and I am only allowed 26 points in total and all I drink is tea with skimmed milk about 4/5 cups a day. Throw cappuccinos into the equation and that is about 100 cals right there.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I reckon I've had around 900 today. Not done much other than muck out and sort the beasts though as it's too wet to ride and I will actually kill myself if I have to hack round here again (too much road work, done too much boring hacking this year).

Star_Chaser

Visit site
given my current weight no point estimating I am definitely eating far too much. I have friends who have had babies and not gained a thing they just added a small button thing to do their trousers up during pregnancy and took it off and buttoned up after. Bit of the green eyed monster was losing it after pregnancy but gained at the toddler stage as I hate to see food wasted :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of doing an eddie izzard and running to get rid of it :D

nikCscott

Visit site
given my current weight no point estimating I am definitely eating far too much. I have friends who have had babies and not gained a thing they just added a small button thing to do their trousers up during pregnancy and took it off and buttoned up after. Bit of the green eyed monster was losing it after pregnancy but gained at the toddler stage as I hate to see food wasted :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of doing an eddie izzard and running to get rid of it :D

As soon as my kids have stopped eating I spray their leftovers with Flash to stop me eating it!

Have recently lost a lot from 12.10 to 10.4 and I'm terrified of putting back on :(

Goldenstar

Visit site
Hence why I was a bit shocked with the difference. I can only think the estimated calories for the foods was off.

Give or take maybe a portion of fruit and a snack some days, that is pretty much standard.

Two scones could easily be over 300 calories without what you spread on them A sausage if 40grammes will be over 100 if grilled I think your calculation is definatly off

luckylou

Visit site
When I was dieting a few years ago I used a website called weightlossresources.co.uk - it was absolutely brilliant.

You keep a food diary and it has a database full of English brand foods etc so as long as you enter the correct amounts that you've been eating it's pretty accurate. You can also use their exercise diary so you can calculate how many calories you have been using too. It's certainly an eye opener!

Some days my intake was around the 1000 calorie mark and I was exhausted so in my opinion, I would say that consuming 5-600 calories per day may be a little inaccurate.

mandwhy

Visit site
An app that does your nutritional intake as well sounds good! If I want to lose weight I just try and cut down on carbs which is quite difficult for me but works... Man I LOVE carbs! I would quite happily live on bread forever.

Working with horses would be probably ten times the exercise I do now and I would definitely eat more. I feel fitter already since I've had a horse full time, I can't believe people find time to go to the gym as well :-0

luckylou

Visit site
An app that does your nutritional intake as well sounds good! If I want to lose weight I just try and cut down on carbs which is quite difficult for me but works... Man I LOVE carbs! I would quite happily live on bread forever.

weightlossresources calculates that too - it's absolutely fab!

X

xspiralx

At a rough estimate (given no info on size or type of scones, sausages etc) - I reckon:

2 x scones = 300 calories
2 x sausages = 250 calories
Small portion of chips = 200 calories
4 x tea (plus milk and sugar?) = 160 calories
1 x glass of milk = 100 calories

So that takes you to around 1000 calories, and doesn't include any other calories you might have taken in from juice or other drinks, or ketchup/mayonnaise/butter/jam etc. It's very easy to underestimate calories in things and also not to notice hidden calories (such as in juices).