Interesting debate at the yard today

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I am glad you have managed to sort it so quickly EquestrianEllie01 and spot on from First Frost! Most impressed!

Slightly on the same topic. I am assuming everyone ties with the safety quick release knot? I always have done but rather interestingly my old mare who I have had for quite a long time now, came to me as a dedicated undo'er of safety knots, she never went anywhere just stood with the slobbered on loop untied looking smug.

I did not know her well enough to judge if she would bu**er off or not so I started doing multi safety loops down the rope and the baggage still just stood quietly slobbering away over them all while I was busy grooming or whatever until they were all undone and the rope just dangled through the baler twine. She never ever went anywhere, just stood there almost completely untied apart from loose dangling rope through the loop in the twine. And she could be so quick! Leave her with a feed bucket and disappear for literally two minutes and you would come back to the whole disgusting slobbered mess dangling loosely against the wall or fence! She knows she shouldn't do it, if I notice and growl at her to stop she stops immediately...for a moment or two until I turn my back once again.?

No idea why as it obviously isn't she doesn't like standing still or being restrained or whatever, but every single time it happens. Perhaps purely out of interest someone can come up with a clue???

Birker2020

Visit site
Sorry for the late update everyone, it's been a busy couple of days!

I cannot believe I am writing this but @First Frost you were 100% on the money! Thursday evening I had a good root around up the poor boys nose and dug out a massive thorn that brought a load of gunk out with it ?. Gave it a good squeeze and clean, and he's absolutely back to normal. He stood tied for an hour (with me close by; it'll be a while before I trust him on his own again!) whilst I faffed around and chatted, and he did not move once.
Thank you so much! I genuinely would not have thought to look there, just shows how sensitive they can be.
Would post pics but I unfortunately am not that computer savvy ?
Wow I'm so pleased for you and so glad it isn't a neck issue! Brilliant news x

PurBee

Visit site
I am glad you have managed to sort it so quickly EquestrianEllie01 and spot on from First Frost! Most impressed!

Slightly on the same topic. I am assuming everyone ties with the safety quick release knot? I always have done but rather interestingly my old mare who I have had for quite a long time now, came to me as a dedicated undo'er of safety knots, she never went anywhere just stood with the slobbered on loop untied looking smug.

I did not know her well enough to judge if she would bu**er off or not so I started doing multi safety loops down the rope and the baggage still just stood quietly slobbering away over them all while I was busy grooming or whatever until they were all undone and the rope just dangled through the baler twine. She never ever went anywhere, just stood there almost completely untied apart from loose dangling rope through the loop in the twine. And she could be so quick! Leave her with a feed bucket and disappear for literally two minutes and you would come back to the whole disgusting slobbered mess dangling loosely against the wall or fence! She knows she shouldn't do it, if I notice and growl at her to stop she stops immediately...for a moment or two until I turn my back once again.?

No idea why as it obviously isn't she doesn't like standing still or being restrained or whatever, but every single time it happens. Perhaps purely out of interest someone can come up with a clue???

Because she can ?

You say she knows she shouldn’t…and doesn’t when asked, but when left to her own devices she does….because she’s a smart cookie ?
She sounds adorable with her drooling! ?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Because she can ?

You say she knows she shouldn’t…and doesn’t when asked, but when left to her own devices she does….because she’s a smart cookie ?
She sounds adorable with her drooling! ?

? I think you are right PurBee - I have this uneasy feeling it is a bit of a long standing power play thing going on between us (we are both opinionated old mares) and she wins hands down every time! ?

Lois Lame

Visit site
... he has recently changed feed due to the Pure fiasco...
He also the past couple of weeks has been asking to go back into his old stable that he was in when I first got him, no idea why he's not been in there for months...

Just when I got to this part I wondered if your horse thinks he might find his precious kind of feed in his previous stable. Just a thought. Just a thought. He's quite a logical horse by the sound of it.