interlocking tiles vs mats

Queenbee

Visit site
Hi all,

As some of you know I am moving houses and therefore yards. I have a lovely huge stable 14 x 16ft, my original plan was to get 3 x 6ft x 4ft mats cut one in half legthways and have a covered area 6ft deep at the back for under his bed. but I am tired of having to scrape out shavings that slowly work their way under and lift the corners of the mats in my current stable... admittedly the mats in my current stable arent the perfect fit, but still :confused:

So anyway, before I run headlong into ordering my mats, what are peoples experiences suggestions for the best ones to go for? I like the 'idea' of the locking tiles but actually wonder if they wouldn't be too light and lift out of place - being more hassle? And then there are locking mats, the standard size... again are the 'locking' bits nifty looking but actually a pain - do they get clogged up and 'unlock'? Am I better off going with the original plan or am I overthinking this?

Wine and thanks :)

Haniki

Visit site
I've got mats that interlock on their long sides, from Ark mats. They need a level surface to stay locked, so good for concrete stable not so good for grassy field shelter. I got them when they were on offer, which made them a lot cheaper than mayo mats.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got the thick heavy black rubber mats in one stable and they’re fitted snuggly to that stable and never move. Been down about 5 years and never needed liftiing.

I’ve got the lighter, softer interlocking ones in my other stable that I bought second hand. Even though they’ve been put back in the same order they were originally down in not all will interlock properly and there are some big gaps in places. I don’t know why. However I’ve covered those areas with bedding (wood pellets) and none have moved since I laid them last September. There is also a gap at the back under the bed as they were not big enough to fill the entire stable. They’ve worked well for that horse though because he’s fairly tidy and doesn’t dig out the bed. My old boy however I don’t think they’d be as successful as he’s a mixer and digger.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I hate mats and have not used them in years, I would initially lay out for a huge shavings bed and put 2 big mats in front of where you bed ends, in the long run if mucked out properly and topped up you don't use any more bedding this is what I do.

elliejhb

Visit site
I have one on light weight interlocking mats, they expand with heat and pull apart leaving gaps. It seems to be areas with little bedding on top that is the worst affected. My mare is on lightweight mats which she lifts up and moves when fretting. So I constantly feel like I'm moving and cutting mats!
Where as the lady who I share the yard with has thick cow mats which don't move, no matter what the horse or weather is doing. In the long run I think these are what I'd be replacing my stables with.

tda

Visit site
I had the lightweight interlocking EVA mats put down last year, they have been fab until the weather has got warmer, and the whole lot has ballooned. Stanley knife time I think 🤔😐
Would still have them again

cauda equina

Visit site
I had the same problem with EVA mats (bulging in the heat) but I think it was my fault for fitting them snugly to the walls, rather than leaving a gap like they tell you to.
Otherwise they are very good

mariew

Visit site
i got interlocking rubber mats from the matman, no idea if he's still around. They worked really well and don't expand/come apart, even after a few moves. I still keep hold of them as they were not cheap, and i may well end up with another pony again.

Queenbee

Visit site
Hi all,

Thank you! Standard mats it is then :)

I hate mats and have not used them in years, I would initially lay out for a huge shavings bed and put 2 big mats in front of where you bed ends, in the long run if mucked out properly and topped up you don't use any more bedding this is what I do.

Pinky,

The beast still has a decent size bed even on shavings, he is mucked out fully every day and is generally a 1 bale a week top-up job. I am very lucky as he always wees in on spot and poos in one corner - not like my old mare who was also a box walker :confused:

I am certain I want mats under the bed, not sure of the reason for putting them in front of it? I like to have a clear concrete area.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hi all,

Thank you! Standard mats it is then :)

Pinky,

The beast still has a decent size bed even on shavings, he is mucked out fully every day and is generally a 1 bale a week top-up job. I am very lucky as he always wees in on spot and poos in one corner - not like my old mare who was also a box walker :confused:

I am certain I want mats under the bed, not sure of the reason for putting them in front of it? I like to have a clear concrete area.

I just hate it when the bedding gets stuck under the mats but I understand why people have them, I just put one large mat in front of the bed so they don't have to stand on the concrete.

Chuffy99

Visit site
We mat the front as that’s where they stand looking over the door, the last thing I want is my pony standing on concrete, then nice deep bed at the back and the urine drains away through the holes at the back