Internal stables - Monarch/Loddon/anyone else?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
With the youngster on rehab livery, my ridden boy now on holiday at my trainers yard and the companions heading home tomorrow, operation barn reno can begin!

We currently have huge (in every sense of the word) brick built stables with heavy set doors. Everything is a bit of an awkward shape, the previous owners built concrete feeders into the corner of each stable which take up a huge amount of space and are high set so of no use to us as I like my horses to feed from the floor.

We’re having the wash box concreted and fitted in January and are contemplating swapping out the current stable walling for the more modern plastic ones, with sliding doors as we’d like to free up some internal space if possible.

So far we’ve spoken to Loddon who have been excellent and Monarch, who weirdly upped the price whilst disparaging Loddon when asked if there was any wiggle room on the existing quote which seems an odd sales technique, and has probably sadly taken them out of the running as far as my husband is concerned. We’ve heard mixed things about Cheval Liberte and didn’t have the best experience with them at YHL a couple of years back, but I’m conscious show staff aren’t always the best so perhaps I’ve ruled them out unfairly? Stables online seem to be coming in slightly higher than Loddon on the quote so I’m thinking I’d probably rather stick with a known name.

Is there anyone else we should be considering? Are Monarch really worth the extra pennies despite their less than great sales team? Has Loddon’s build quality really gone downhill in recent years? This’ll likely be the only opportunity we’ll have to do this so I want to make sure we get it right.

Tea and cake for anyone who can help. Pictures would be a bonus!

Last edited:

[153312]

Visit site
Monarchs are ?????????? but no, definitely don't get them because I will be sick with envy if you do..... Not sure what it is but they are really, really, really nice .

sport horse

Visit site
We have Loddon sliding doors in an internal building. Been in for 30+ years and as good as new. Have always had excellent service from Loddon - we bought more doors and windows for later built stable blocks.

Friend bought a Monarch walker and was a little surprised when it broke down pretty soon afer purchase and was told to find herelf a local engineer to mend it as they had a waiting list of 6 months for their own engineer. Really????!

honetpot

Visit site
I have second hand Loddon, my buildings are very old tin, the best thing about them is the concrete floor, and everyone admires them. I have no idea about new build but they are very heavy frames, no rust, and built to last

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have Tailored Stables. Matt worked for Monarch for 10 years prior to setting up Tailored. They weren’t the quickest, and the install was a bit ad-hoc, but overall I’ve been very pleased.

Ah interesting, I’ve since realised a friend has also gone with Tailored recently and her stables are stunning so will be interesting to see how they compare cost-wise to the other quotes we’ve had so far.

tatty_v

Visit site
We have monarch internal partitions and door but tbh, I’m not sure they’re that great and their customer service is pretty appalling. OH has Lodden at the clinic and never has any complaints.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We have monarch internal partitions and door but tbh, I’m not sure they’re that great and their customer service is pretty appalling. OH has Lodden at the clinic and never has any complaints.

I’m always dubious when a company disparages the competition rather than speaking of their own merits (and let’s face it, Monarch stables really are beautiful so it’s not exactly a tough sell!). Even more so when a little research shows the comments they made against Loddon were completely unfounded. That combined with them increasing the price when asked if there was any wiggle room, and stories of poor aftercare has taken them out of the running for us I think.

tatty_v

Visit site
I’m always dubious when a company disparages the competition rather than speaking of their own merits (and let’s face it, Monarch stables really are beautiful so it’s not exactly a tough sell!). Even more so when a little research shows the comments they made against Loddon were completely unfounded. That combined with them increasing the price when asked if there was any wiggle room, and stories of poor aftercare has taken them out of the running for us I think.

I completely agree. It’s such a shame but the poor after care / customer service is really bugging me at the moment.

Birker2020

Visit site
With the youngster on rehab livery, my ridden boy now on holiday at my trainers yard and the companions heading home tomorrow, operation barn reno can begin!

We currently have huge (in every sense of the word) brick built stables with heavy set doors. Everything is a bit of an awkward shape, the previous owners built concrete feeders into the corner of each stable which take up a huge amount of space and are high set so of no use to us as I like my horses to feed from the floor.

We’re having the wash box concreted and fitted in January and are contemplating swapping out the current stable walling for the more modern plastic ones, with sliding doors as we’d like to free up some internal space if possible.

So far we’ve spoken to Loddon who have been excellent and Monarch, who weirdly upped the price whilst disparaging Loddon when asked if there was any wiggle room on the existing quote which seems an odd sales technique, and has probably sadly taken them out of the running as far as my husband is concerned. We’ve heard mixed things about Cheval Liberte and didn’t have the best experience with them at YHL a couple of years back, but I’m conscious show staff aren’t always the best so perhaps I’ve ruled them out unfairly? Stables online seem to be coming in slightly higher than Loddon on the quote so I’m thinking I’d probably rather stick with a known name.

Is there anyone else we should be considering? Are Monarch really worth the extra pennies despite their less than great sales team? Has Loddon’s build quality really gone downhill in recent years? This’ll likely be the only opportunity we’ll have to do this so I want to make sure we get it right.

Tea and cake for anyone who can help. Pictures would be a bonus!
I personally wouldn't opt for the sliding doors, we have Loddon I think, the green plastic insert type with bars between stables on the short side and a whole front of bars. They are lovely stables but when I was in a sliding door stable I had nothing but trouble and a number of the sliding doors on our yard come off and hang like cat flaps which I think are incredibly dangerous. I've had many a sleepless night when the door came off the runner at the bottom and Bailey was in the stable and I was so worried about her getting stuck in between the door and framework with a leg or hoof. Dad messed with the fixing a number of times and in the end fixed it permanently and it never comes off now for the other horses that have been stabled in there since.

I've been on the yard for 17 years so have a massive experience of these doors and during my time some horses have managed to rub on the bars thus opening the sliding door and have got loose in the night so most if not all the sliding doors have rope or other attachment around the frame of the door and the door itself to stop a horse escaping!

Thank goodness I am back to a normal door now with kickbolt.

Mamamia

Visit site
We had our Monarch stables delivered today. They're not up yet, but I am seriously impressed with the quality. They were slightly more expensive than Loddon and the same as Stables Online top of the range, but faster delivery times. They were also the only company to actually come out and see the barns they are going in (and tell us the floor needed to be levelled:oops:). Stables delivered on time and the ordering process was pretty easy - just need to get them up now!

Edited to say, they did discount by about £1500 when I asked and threw in some free tie rings ;)

Last edited:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
The tailored equine grey curved are really smart.

Those would be the dream but I don’t think they’ll work in our barn as we currently only have one stable with the door set centrally, the other two have it set to one side due to space as the walkway is only about 8ft wide.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I personally wouldn't opt for the sliding doors, we have Loddon I think, the green plastic insert type with bars between stables on the short side and a whole front of bars. They are lovely stables but when I was in a sliding door stable I had nothing but trouble and a number of the sliding doors on our yard come off and hang like cat flaps which I think are incredibly dangerous. I've had many a sleepless night when the door came off the runner at the bottom and Bailey was in the stable and I was so worried about her getting stuck in between the door and framework with a leg or hoof. Dad messed with the fixing a number of times and in the end fixed it permanently and it never comes off now for the other horses that have been stabled in there since.

I've been on the yard for 17 years so have a massive experience of these doors and during my time some horses have managed to rub on the bars thus opening the sliding door and have got loose in the night so most if not all the sliding doors have rope or other attachment around the frame of the door and the door itself to stop a horse escaping!

Ah poop, that’s a shame as I did think they’d be a nice little space saver but might need to have a rethink as the boys are typical WBs and pretty good at self-harming at the best of times, without adding new things into the mix ?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
We had our Monarch stables delivered today. They're not up yet, but I am seriously impressed with the quality. They were slightly more expensive than Loddon and the same as Stables Online top of the range, but faster delivery times. They were also the only company to actually come out and see the barns they are going in (and tell us the floor needed to be levelled:oops:). Stables delivered on time and the ordering process was pretty easy - just need to get them up now!

Edited to say, they did discount by about £1500 when I asked and threw in some free tie rings ;)

Ah you had better luck than us then. We only got our quote a little over a week ago and when the husband went back and asked if they’d meet in the middle as Loddon had come in a little over £2k less we were basically told sorry there’s been a price increase since we quoted you and Loddon’s quality has gone downhill since they moved manufacturing. In fairness they did offer a discount but it made it £200 more expensive than their previous quote so not massively helpful. It’s a shame as the husband had at least been open to considering spending the extra if they really were the best bet but the bizarre exchange over prices has left him less keen now.

It’d be great to know what you think once they’re up though. Are they fitting them or are you doing it yourself?

lottiepony

Visit site
That's a bit quite with a price increase! However I would act quick on any you have and double check how long they are valid for. We manufacture and quoting is a nightmare as nothing is staying the same price for long at the moment.

Mamamia

Visit site
Fitting ourselves as the concreting isn't finished yet. I was happy to pay the extra £1k to have them fitted, but husband and friends are determined to do it themselves :rolleyes:. I'll let you know how it goes!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
That's a bit quite with a price increase! However I would act quick on any you have and double check how long they are valid for. We manufacture and quoting is a nightmare as nothing is staying the same price for long at the moment.

We’re literally planning to pull the trigger in the next couple of days as the horses are only likely to be on livery until early spring so it’s now or never. We’re in the process of having house renovations too and know only too well what a nightmare supplies are at the moment so more than happy to work quickly to get everything locked in.

Sprig

Visit site
Do you know what the lead time is for the various companies? I work in construction and getting hold of supplies is a nightmare at the moment. I was wondering if there are issues with stables too?

sport horse

Visit site

Ah poop, that’s a shame as I did think they’d be a nice little space saver but might need to have a rethink as the boys are typical WBs and pretty good at self-harming at the best of times, without adding new things into the mix ?

I have four Loddon sliding doors in an old dairy converted to stabling that have been in for nearly 30 years. Not one has come off its runners ever. I have another 3 Loddon sliding doors in a barn and not one of those has ever come off.

I breed show jumpers - all warmbloods from 16.1 to 17.3 hands and they use the stables in winter from yearlings age upwards. They can be pretty wild when they first come in from the fields for winter and go from being a herd to individual horse. The doors have taken their share of battering!

Personally I only have the doors/grills on the front of the stables - the side walls are all block built/solid wood - this way the horses can see each other but can retreat into their own private space when they want.

Birker2020

Visit site
I have four Loddon sliding doors in an old dairy converted to stabling that have been in for nearly 30 years. Not one has come off its runners ever. I have another 3 Loddon sliding doors in a barn and not one of those has ever come off.

I breed show jumpers - all warmbloods from 16.1 to 17.3 hands and they use the stables in winter from yearlings age upwards. They can be pretty wild when they first come in from the fields for winter and go from being a herd to individual horse. The doors have taken their share of battering!

Personally I only have the doors/grills on the front of the stables - the side walls are all block built/solid wood - this way the horses can see each other but can retreat into their own private space when they want.
I can only say our experience with a number of the stables being affected. The doors coming off weren't as a result of kicking or barging into them though, its more rubbing the metal bar that opens/closes the door with their necks to relieve the usual itch. Coming off the rail at the bottom was pushing against the door to relieve an itch too!

I know my Dad said that the flooring outside my stable wasn't level and he felt that was the reason mine came off so I'd say to doubly ensure the floor is level when laid otherwise you can run into problems. Its a shame as they are lovely stables otherwise, really nice quality and nice and roomy.

sport horse

Visit site
I can only say our experience with a number of the stables being affected. The doors coming off weren't as a result of kicking or barging into them though, its more rubbing the metal bar that opens/closes the door with their necks to relieve the usual itch. Coming off the rail at the bottom was pushing against the door to relieve an itch too!

I know my Dad said that the flooring outside my stable wasn't level and he felt that was the reason mine came off so I'd say to doubly ensure the floor is level when laid otherwise you can run into problems. Its a shame as they are lovely stables otherwise, really nice quality and nice and roomy.

My Loddon sliding doors do not have a rail at the bottom. They slide along an upper rail and click over a rotating knob on the floor to close.. I can only reiterate I have not had a problem and yes the horses do from time to time rub, kick, bang etc etc. I wonder if it is your floor or the knob is not set in properly?