International Eventing Forum

bounce

Visit site
I've previously read reports from the International Eventing Forum and it does sound really interesting and a good day out but would it be really beneficial for a grassroots eventer or is it more specifically aimed at trainers/coaches and higher level competitors?

I'm tempted to go this year but it is quite expensive if it is primarily aimed at a higher level.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I get a huge amount out of it but have to say I am not overwhelmed this year by the line up. Eric is ok but not dazzling. I would much rather have seen some top trainers as much more interesting and plenty of choice.

Sults

Visit site
I'd be interested to hear peoples views on this too as i am considering going (as a grassroots rider!) but i too was not overwhelmed by the line up....

TarrSteps

Visit site
I have to say, I'm with LEC. I presume the line up this year is designed to appeal to a more grassroots audience but, for me, the real interest in something like this is hearing from high profile people like DOC and Mark Todd and seeing how their systems and theories apply across the levels. I'm sure the speakers this year will be very interesting but it just seems to lack a little of the wow factor.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
I too am tempted to go, its not far from me but its a lot of money for a student to pay if the speakers don't really inspire me which I am struggling with a bit this year. I agree with TarrSteps, I'm sure they will all be very interesting in their own way but I too really enjoy hearing from high profile people like David O'Connor, Yogi etc.

Sults

Visit site
Do they annouce who the demo riders are at some point? Seems as though they have had some good people for that in the past?

Johnboy1

Visit site
The International Eventing Forum is aimed at all involved in Eventing , at whatever level. The cross section of ''speakers'' that are always willing to show their methods is a great way to take a lot of information away from one day . It is impossible to cater for everyone's specific ''favorites'' , but I have always thought it great value for money , and a great addition to the calendar of '' things to do'' pre season............. You certainly don't learn all you need to know , but have more than enough information/content to provoke further discussions with fellow riders or and/coaches .

Happy Karen

New User
Visit site
HI, yes the Forum is aimed at all levels. The speakers this year may not be as "famous" but are incredibly well respected within their fields. Andrew and Isobel are two of only three 5* International judges - it doesn't get much better than that. They just may not be as publically famous, but certainly have lots to offer for those who are keen to learn. I am really looking forward to getting to walk the course that Tom Holden will build and then ask him questions as that is not something we often get an opportunity to do. If your aim is to learn and improve, then I would recommend that you attend.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Great idea about course walk but realistically how is that going to work? Time is short and there are hundreds of people present all at different levels. I would hate to miss questions asked in one group but I would also hate to be shuffled round not able to see much or have the opportunity to make the most of it because 400 people are trying to do the same thing at the same time.

oldvic

Visit site
I agree about Andrew and Isabel. They have both judged to a very high level - Andrew judged at the European Championships this year and Isabel would have as sound and classical a knowledge as any judge I know. She has a superb eye and is an excellent trainer. While she is not involved with event horses, she has tremendous empathy with horses and has such good understanding of correct training that she is very relevant and has been a great help to the NZ team.
I also agree with LEC about the course walk.
I believe John Ledingham is very good - he certainly was lovely to watch around Hickstead. I am sure what he has to offer will be suited to eventers.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Good to know that the trainers will be worthwhile.

Good question about the course walk format. Perhaps someone more in the know will show up to explain the format more fully

Last edited: