International Travel

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
The time will soon come when we are having to leave France, and return to UK north east ?. I've got a year, but I'm putting feelers out for transport companies. Gypsy cob and 33 year old rather stiff shettie (who I'm bricking myself about). We have a trailer, but I just think this may be one for professionals? I cant even find shettie travel size boots, he may need his knees bandaged and vet pain killer before he leaves. I'm so stressed.

Any advice welcome.

Visit site
100% Parkers every time. They came so highly recommended when I was looking for a transporter in 2020 to move my 4 from North West UK to Denmark. The move was faultless and their care was exemplary. They moved my Dales x mare, two mini shetties and my precious mini horse x, who was 31 at the time. They organised soaked hay, overnight stops, I got photos and updates throughout the journey. They all arrived looking immaculate and calm.

Michelle in the office dealt superbly with all of my neurotic queries and concerns and really put me at ease.

I paid for a dedicated wagon and it was worth every penny.

Put your precious four legged best friends in the hands of the professionals, they do it for a living and it really took all the stress away from me.

I wouldn’t bother with travel boots, whenever I’ve used transporters, they don’t use boots and if you see race horses coming off aircraft (as I have for many years working at airports), they barely bandage anything.

Nicnac

Visit site
Moving from Belgium to England with an aged mare (25) and a youngster (15 months) who had had a dreadful experience of travelling as a foal, we used a professional company who were amazing. Honestly it's so stress free compared to driving them yourself. Neither wore any travel gear as it heats their legs too much and I have never travelled horses in travel boots since. I just use overreach boots - if it's good enough for million £ racehorses it's good enough for mine.

Bionic Boy

Visit site
Another one who recommends Parkers. They brought my boy from Spain to the uk. As said above, they organise overnight stops and I got updates every day. He traveled without any travel boots.
I really couldn’t fault them. From the initial phone call they organised everything.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Thankyou ! Have looked them up, and will be using them. Devastated to be leaving France, especially with a 33 year old shettie, but needs must,

rara007

Visit site
I’ve used Gillies, eta and Parker’s. All much of a muchness if you go for a shared load. All fantastic at what they do but communication more set up for businesses than worried single horses owners!

rara007

Visit site
You can use the channel tunnel as a private person (arranged through official agent) but it’s unlikely your current set up would get approval.

Palindrome

Visit site
If it is doable I would split them up and transport the cob with Parker on a shared load and take the shetty in the trailer. You could put a thick mat of straw and travel him loose so he can lay down if he wants and do regular stops to water, hand walk, etc...

Palindrome

Visit site
Also, if you are going north-east, it is worth having a look at the Zeebruge-Hull ferry, it is an overnight cross. Not sure if you can take horses on it, but could perhaps work with the pony being able to sleep in the trailer.
Don't hesitate to PM me if you need to stop near Calais, I know the area well.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Also, if you are going north-east, it is worth having a look at the Zeebruge-Hull ferry, it is an overnight cross. Not sure if you can take horses on it, but could perhaps work with the pony being able to sleep in the trailer.

Having had a horse travel on the Zebrugge to Dover route albeit a long time ago and another going through the tunnel more recently I would never use the ferry again. Horse was exhausted when I got him home and very stiff whereas DP has always strolled off the box either end as fresh as anything. Another who doesn’t use travel boots, the legs get hot and they restrict movement. Parker’s are brilliant and can’t fault the care they take with their equine cargo.

conniegirl

Visit site
Zebrugge-hull was a victim of covid. The ferry no longer runs, you would be looking at Rotterdam to Hull which is a much longer journey