International Velvet

Tnavas

Visit site
Monty remained undeterred from his vision and later became a champion Western horseman. Hollywood hired him as a “stand in” rider and stunt double for stars such as Elizabeth Taylor in National Velvet and many other films. He even worked with James Dean during the pre-production and filming of the acclaimed movie East of Eden - See more at: http://www.montyroberts.com/ab_about_monty/ab_about_monty/#sthash.EbYYRmSz.dpuf

I read that - but it would have made him just 9 years old at the time the film was made and his name is not mentioned in the casting list. He was born in 1935 and the film made in 1944

fallenangel123

Visit site
My friend once totally embarrassed me by shouting 'Sarah it came, they've chosen you, they've chosen you for the Olympics' halfway down Watford high street! People were congratulating me, it was awful. Still can't watch it without cringing at that bit.

vam

Visit site
My friend once totally embarrassed me by shouting 'Sarah it came, they've chosen you, they've chosen you for the Olympics' halfway down Watford high street! People were congratulating me, it was awful. Still can't watch it without cringing at that bit.

Sorry but that made me proper lol! The funny thing is up until that moment your friend did it i bet (like me) you secretly wanted be 'chosen for the Olympics'.
Love international velvet so off to see if i can find the film, i dont care that the older i get i notice the plot holes are more like canyons, its still an ultimate feel good movie. Luckily no one will re make it!

sasquatch

Visit site
Having read the book and it being a childhood favourite, I have no desire to watch the film when one of the key plot points is missing. The fact that The Piebald is renamed 'The Pie' and chestnut has really, really put me off.
It's not uncommon for old movies to change the whole storyline, maybe I've just been spoilled by how the majority of modern book-film adaptions try to stay as close as they can possibly get.

Would love to see a new, more accurate version made though! Especially with some of the same effects and technology we had for War Horse!

Loulou2002

Visit site
Love this film soooo much! The bit where she flings her tin of money over the cliff only to find out she's been bought the foal gets me everytime! So funny how when they are training for the olympics with Anthony Hopkins and the jumps are about 2ft.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Wasn't Ginny Elliot one of the rider's doubles in the cross country phase? Seem to remember she was aboard a young intermediate mare, and having to jump 4* fences with just a few minutes notice to warm up as the cameras were ready to roll :eek3:.

Just received an Amazon parcel containing a 1985 edn of National Velvet, ordered after reading this thread :). Seen the film many times, but never read the book. Definitely features a coloured horse on the dust jacket.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I remember the yard I worked at where part was filmed. Fulmer equestrian centre.

I also found it hard the gelding was a Stalin, did he have a reversal ? And a hair colour change.

Hated the comment in international velvet where you here,

"Sorry you had a rough flight, there is a meat wagon on the way"

khalswitz

Visit site
International Velvet is on iTunes Store for anyone who wants to watch. ;)

If you only watch the films, it's fine - I watched both films and other than the Pie changing colour it was fine. The book is a totally different kettle of fish - however as that is often the case with books to films I just keep them as separate entities in my mind!

I have to admit I really struggled to warm to Sarah - she was very cold, and just not as likeable as Velvet in the original. However I loved the team GB trainer, he was fab.