Introducing a new (huge) horse to a (mini) herd

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Silly worry but...

My husband recently got a big (over 17 hands)*horse on loan, it's been quite a shock to the system as he's so huge! We have three small ponies, the biggest being our 2 year old who is 12.2, my riding pony is just under 12.1 then we have a Shetland. I find myself a bit nervous around the new one although he is lovely, very very gentle and sweet. My main worry is they are living next to each other at the mo and my husband wants to put them altogether in a couple of weeks in our big field. So far they have squealed a bit over the fence and there has been a bit of foreleg striking (mostly from the youngster!)*:eek:

I know this sounds stupid but even though the big chap is huge, I worry he could do some damage, my two boys play fight all the time but without shoes and both being small exmoors nothing happens. The big chap does have the Shetland in with him and seems to like her, but she is fairly ancient.

All our horses are very very nice to handle and none have a nasty personality...do you think we should just turn them out and cross our fingers?? We have to at some stage as the boys field needs resting, we could electric fence them i Guess but unfortunately my Exmoor's have no respect for it...and they like each other over the fence! :eek:

Hope this worry makes sense...I know big horses and tiny ponies all live together fine..husband thinks my three are going to end up ganging up in the big chap rather than the other way round!!! :eek::eek:

I'm trying to think positive as its lovely going on evening rides with hubby but I always worry for ages about changing the herd dynamics!!*:eek:

Heres our gang anyway..just so this isn't a completely pointless, irrational worry thread, and please share your experiences about introducing someone so very different (or do horses even realise?!)*:)

OH, Biggest and smallest!

With the gruesome twosome (the exmoors)

The big chaps normal position...!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oh the big horse will have his life made hell by his little buddies! But it looks like youve put them together, and iI'm sure they'll all be fine.

pippixox

Visit site
just go for it!
my guys were in a mixed herd of 9, ranging in size from about 13 hands to a Clydesdale! on Wednesday 2 new horses arrive, kept them in a paddock next door for 2 days, then one of them decided to step over the fence! (he is 17 hands and there was no electric) and we found him in the morning with the rest of the herd. he is only just 4 and had never been out in a group before but was fine. then on Sunday the other new horse was released. my guys are giving the youngster a bit of a hard time, but have found no major cuts on any of them so far, touch wood.

I think we cant help but wrap them up in cotton wool at times! they will figure it out. sometimes I find the smaller ones are more feisty- little man syndrome. My friends Shetland and 11'2 pony went out with the Clydesdale and he pretty much ignored them.

KidnapMoss

Visit site
Oh the big horse will have his life made hell by his little buddies! But it looks like youve put them together, and iI'm sure they'll all be fine.

The big has only been out with the little Shetland but not the two Exmoor boys who can be quite feisty and sort of come as one unit. I'm very over protective I guess whereas hubby just has a let them get on with it attitude!!! Aargh

KidnapMoss

Visit site
just go for it!
my guys were in a mixed herd of 9, ranging in size from about 13 hands to a Clydesdale! on Wednesday 2 new horses arrive, kept them in a paddock next door for 2 days, then one of them decided to step over the fence! (he is 17 hands and there was no electric) and we found him in the morning with the rest of the herd. he is only just 4 and had never been out in a group before but was fine. then on Sunday the other new horse was released. my guys are giving the youngster a bit of a hard time, but have found no major cuts on any of them so far, touch wood.

I think we cant help but wrap them up in cotton wool at times! they will figure it out. sometimes I find the smaller ones are more feisty- little man syndrome. My friends Shetland and 11'2 pony went out with the Clydesdale and he pretty much ignored them.

Yep little man syndrome sums my boys up...I have this stupid worry that they will go in and play and big chap will just squish them with one foot without even meaning it!

Yes, I worry :eek:

BellaBoyzie92

Visit site
See how they are over the fence for a few days then just chuck them all in together. I did this with my 17hh gelding and a new 13.2hh welshie, no problems :)
My big boy also went out with a Shetland and Exmoor mare, they bullied him!

Horse*

Visit site
No help but I spat my tea out at the first photo, looks my boys identical twin! Honestly any of those photos could easily be Murphy :eek: He looks absolutely gorgeous!

For comparrison this is mine:

KidnapMoss

Visit site
No help but I spat my tea out at the first photo, looks my boys identical twin! Honestly any of those photos could easily be Murphy :eek: He looks absolutely gorgeous!

For comparrison this is mine:

Wow! He really does! I have to say I'm not usually a fan of the big boys but this chap of my husbands has won me over, he has the same sweet expression your boy does!

Thanks all..I knew it was a silly worry. Already he's choosing to go down to the fence and spend time with them so fingers crossed they are all getting on.

The mini shet rules the place anyway :eek: