Introducing Bo!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Yesterday we brought this boy home. Clodagh on here had told me about him, so we went to have a look and meet him. He is around 4 years old. He has worked sheep before, but will be a pet home with us. We weren’t looking for another dog yet, but know when we do lose Aled, Luna will need a new companion/partner in crime. We’re also hoping that being a lot closer in age to her, it will take a lot of pressure off Aled as she wants to play all the time, and he can’t keep up with her any more. He likes a quiet little walk, and then to sleep all day.

So far, all 3 are getting on well. He’s tried to steal Luna’s food a couple of times, but been put firmly in his place. He doesn’t get time to steal Aled’s 😂

He is fine with the boss of the house, Oz the cat, and just needs to learn he doesn’t need to herd the horses.

So, here he is...

WB0ct7N.jpg

mncPGbq.jpg

hbo4Jlk.jpg

Fzulpvv.jpg

And Aled, totally stressed by it all!
l5ZYENh.jpg

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I do think he is very handsome, don't get me wrong. Just he didn't seem to be either a border, rough or smooth which is as far as my collie knowledge goes!

I was going to write a complicated reply about smooths being quite whippet/greyhound like in real life, especially in head, hind leg, feet and movement but then decided against it. I don't see anything of that in Bo. Look at the welsh sheepdog , they vary quite a lot in type.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
A week on, and he’s made himself right at home.

Still occasional mess in the house overnight, but we were expecting it a little due to spending most of his time in a kennel. He has slowed down with his eating, he was literally inhaling his food.

wGBleNI.jpg

91dpW2r.jpg

pKAb9ll.jpg

He does get up occasionally and will get some action shots at the weekend.

And Aled and Luna so they don’t feel left out.

3fwT5XH.jpg

n5ru59e.jpg

Moobli

Visit site
I do think he is very handsome, don't get me wrong. Just he didn't seem to be either a border, rough or smooth which is as far as my collie knowledge goes!

What a gorgeous looking boy! Definitely all border collie (just a bare-skinned/smooth haired variety). What's his story? Will he get to work sheep with you T or have you other ideas for him? Looks like he has settled in brilliantly and I am so glad Luna has a pal now that sadly Aled has gone.

Moobli

Visit site
I was going to write a complicated reply about smooths being quite whippet/greyhound like in real life, especially in head, hind leg, feet and movement but then decided against it. I don't see anything of that in Bo. Look at the welsh sheepdog , they vary quite a lot in type.

He looks all border to me - they come in a huge range of varieties in coat length, colour, height etc. Welsh sheepdogs tend to be recognised by their work style - very little eye compared to borders and a more straight up stance when working stock.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
What a gorgeous looking boy! Definitely all border collie (just a bare-skinned/smooth haired variety). What's his story? Will he get to work sheep with you T or have you other ideas for him? Looks like he has settled in brilliantly and I am so glad Luna has a pal now that sadly Aled has gone.

We wouldn’t have the first idea how to go about working sheep. From what we know, he was ok with small flocks, but more than about 10 blew his mind. MoC is having a think about things we can do with him, and our vet mentioned something like Flyball.

He tries to herd the horses and doesn’t listen to me at all when I’ve tried some of the commands, so he’s kept attached to me now when I’m poo picking etc.

Luna adores him and vice versa.

Moobli

Visit site
Did he come from a farm then and they passed him on because he wouldn't work larger flocks? There are all sorts you could do from scentwork (collies have great noses and scentwork has really taken off in the UK with classes in most areas), agility/flyball, hoopers, triebball, working trials, tracking etc etc. The world is your oyster with a working collie :)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
The people we got him from weren’t farmers, but the guy used to do a bit of shearing and used him to help with that.

We will have a look about and I’m sure we’ll find our “thing”

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
sorry Theresa, have had the flu so have mostly been watching Netflix but think I mentioned Treiball on FB (although its not that popular so you may struggle to find a class- there are some online resources). Scentwork is for any dog and its a really useful way of tiring them out without expending too much energy-studies show it's good for the dogs' emotional wellbeing too as they have the need to sniff. Treiball also knackers them as its all about control.There's also tracking pages on Facebook-I tried it and found it quite dull tbh. There's also Parkour which can make walks quite fun-again pages on FB.

https://www.dogparkour.org

http://scentworkuk.com
http://www.dogactivityspot.co.uk/treibball/4574069585

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Thank you!

A couple of pics of him today. There was a big horse event on in the woods, so he was kept on the long line today. Didn’t seem to spoil his fun though!

kiXYDvG.jpg

MuHhSGg.jpg

Checking the horses are where he left them on our way back.
qb6tH1u.jpg

I quite like the look of treibball. Will have a look and see if anywhere not too far away.

Last edited: