Introducing dog number 3?

Poppy149_

New User
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking for some advice, I currently have two staffs aged around 7 and 8. I have owned them both for 4 years after rehoming them both from seperate owners.
I am now looking to rescue/re-home another dog as their are so many about needing a loving home.

The only thing stopping me is sometimes my bitches fight. 99% of the time they are best friends, playing, cuddling and cleaning each other although vary rarely (maybe once a year) the younger of the two will start on the bigger one... I am thinking will introducing another dog make this better or worse? Is it better to introduce a male? Is it better to introduce a younger or older dog? Or will introducing any dog possibly cause more problems?

I appreciate any advice.

thanks!

CMcC

Visit site
I had a Kerry Blue bitch who fought with my other girl Kerry. I wanted a third and asked vet for advice. He said dog puppy would be fine. He was right. Bad Kerry took on the role of mother, she would give a little snap if he annoyed her too much but was amazingly tolerant. But if the other one told the pup off Bad Kerry would turn on her.

Poppy149_

New User
Visit site
That's a good point, wouldn't want them to fight over puppy. Wouldn't be getting anything younger then about 5 months, and would also keep separate while out the house. So many things to consider... Thanks for your input x

pippixox

Visit site
I would certainly go for a dog, don’t add another bitch to the mix. Preferably one that’s generally submissive (as of rescuing they will probably know their general character) so is less likely to start anything. From friends with multiple girls it does seem to be common that they sometimes fall out. At least it isn’t all the time or that would be very challenging. Mind you I know someone with a female GSD and a male jack Russel who dislike each other so much that they have to stay separate in the house at all times

We have a slightly bossy collie girl and a submissive lab boy. Both got as two years olds 2 years and 1 year ago. Keep seeing rescues I want! But had my second child 6 months ago and we are about to move so I know I need to be sensible!

{97702}

Visit site
I don't know about staffies unfortunately, but I have currently got 3 bitches and a dog, 2 greyhounds (dog and bitch) and 2 lurchers (both bitches)

I'm always wary about adding another bitch to the mix, as with greyhounds/lurchers they seem to be worse at fighting than dogs. My 12 year old greyhound bitch and 11 year old lurcher bitch had quite a few nasty fights when they were younger, but in between times and now you wouldn't have known! Adding a young whippersnapper baby lurcher, who is like Tigger on speed at best, was nerve wracking but in fairness to Millie there haven't been any fights as she has never challenged the older two.

I knew I could never have another dog in the house while I had my old greyhound boy, but the newbie boy is a lot more laid back, less protective of me, and more accomodating. When the time comes I hope my next rescue will be a dog as I like them better than bitches, but it will be a case of finding one that Marty gets on with

In your position I would definitely go for a dog, and I wouldn't think you would have a problem

Poppy149_

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your advice guys, I enquired about a young shepherd X from Romania today. 5 months old, absolutely beautiful. I am so in love but so scared of all the problems there could possibly be. So much to consider... My heart's telling me yes, my head's telling me no! It could be the best thing I ever did but so worried it could be problematic. Not just with my girls fighting but all the other problems with getting a dog, will he be destressed, chew furniture, not want to be left alone. So much to think about!!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Romanian street dog? Ethically, I just wouldn’t. You already have staffs, which are extremely common in U.K. rescues. Romanian dogs are often not toilet trained and have no idea how to live in a house. A mate got one and had to send it back when it started biting everyone in the house.

You probably don’t want to hear this, but importing a dog obviously means less room for dogs in need already in the country.

Lintel

Visit site
Boys are so much easier with everything imo.
I have seen a few Romanian rescues who are fabulous dogs but need an owner who is knowledgeable and structured. I also know a handful of disasters who just cannot adapt (however they have owners that do not help the dogs situation.)

In your case I would be more inclined to go to the rescues where your two can meet the potential newbie before you make the decision. That way you'll be able to see the dynamic.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would say you need to be able to meet any new dog a couple of times to see reactions of all of them. there are lots of dogs in rescues over here ,why not go to your local one and see what they have which could be suitable. foreign rescues pull a peoples heartstrings as they always seem to be prettier but the ones local to me have proved to be very challenging and 2 of them are never let of leads as they run off...if you do go for a foreign dog please make sure it has a clean bill of health from a reputable vet.....

Greyhorse1

Visit site
Personally I think adding number 3 risks rocking the boat too much.
I wouldn’t risk it especially with two bitches that are already occasionally squabbling.

{97702}

Visit site
Personally I think adding number 3 risks rocking the boat too much.
I wouldn’t risk it especially with two bitches that are already occasionally squabbling.

No hope for me when I go up to 5 then :D :D :D I've had more than 2 dogs for years, and it has never been a problem - as long as the owner has the right approach, all should be fine in my experience

Greyhorse1

Visit site
No hope for me when I go up to 5 then :D:D:D I've had more than 2 dogs for years, and it has never been a problem - as long as the owner has the right approach, all should be fine in my experience

Oh I’ve always had a fair few too! :)
Stuck at 2 currently but have had up to 4 at any one time.

However I do work in dog behaviour and deal with this sort of thing a lot, bitches that fight can be tipped over the edge very easily and those sort of relationships are often very fragile. Sometimes adding number 3 can tip them over the edge and can make things a lot worse. Personally I am not sure I would want to rock the boat, I’m sure there’s a chance it could go well but equally if it didn’t it could end up with more stress than its worth!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
friends of mine had a dog and a bitch who got on really well ..they then took on the dogs full brother ,,,first of all the three got on very well and this continued for about 5 months, then the 2 brothers started fighting quite seriously and now they have to be kept apart. i did advise my friend not to take on a sibling and upset the household but she was sure they would be ok as they had lived together till 10 months of age.... unfortunately i have been proved right and her and her husbands lives are taken over with the dogs and its hard work...