Introducing new gelding in with established mare, foal and gelding

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I think the heading says it all. We have a new horse (on loan to start with) who has been with us a week. He is lovely with humans, and after about five days I put my gelding with him. Now my boy Harley is a big girls blouse, and always gets beaten up, so I've not been surprised to find a kick on his hip (other horse is not shod) and for him to be giving Echo a wide berth. So instantly Echo has become top dog over Harley, driving him off food and away from the fence.

Ultimately I want to run them all together, my dilemma is this. Should I keep the two geldings together, and wait until they become mates before I put them in with the mare and foal, or should I keep the original three together, and in the end fire the new boy in with them, working on the theory that the herd of three will stick together. The foal is over three months now, and spends more time with the gelding than her mum, although mum is still protective and has been driving the new boy back from the fence to keep him away.

Currently they are seperated by electric fence, so they can all touch, and I've seen the foal 'snapping' at the loan boy, and he totally ignored her.

Opinions please!

christine48

Visit site
I definately would not risk putting the new gelding in with the mare and foal. You have no idea how he will react to the foal. If there end up being a squabble the foal could easily end up getting injured. Three months is still very young. Let them get to know each other over the fence a little longer first.

the watcher

Visit site
i think you need to plan ahead and consider potential pairings for when you want to wean your youngster, so keeping the new one apart for now and then eventually putting the mare in there, leaving youngster with your established gelding might be the answer