Introducing new(ish) greyhound

numptynovice

Visit site
1550269845878.png

I’ve been meaning to introduce my lovely new greyhound and I hadn’t done it because I couldn’t figure out how to post pictures as they were too big, but I think I have it figured out now.

We adopted her at in November and she’s settled brilliantly, so well that we’re adopting a little brother for her next week. I thought I’d better finally crack on with introducing her before number 2 arrives.

She’s a 4 year old Irish ex racer who was racing down in Brighton until August. She’s very chilled most of the time but has a crazy few minutes here and there. She’s a clever little thing and seems to learn quickly, especially if there’s food involved. She still shows some signs of tension (licking, yawning occasionally) but I’m hoping that canine company will help and it’s still early days.

Any tips for introducing number 2 very welcome - we will be muzzling intially and walking them together before being our new guy home.

{97702}

Visit site
Oh she is beautiful ❤️ Well done on joining the greyhound owning club - and especially well done on adopting a second hound so soon 😊😊

In terms of introductions it is pretty easy to tell if they get on or not at the first meeting - I would usually muzzle for the very first time they meet, then walk them together, then if all is well I usually let them get on with it! When I picked up my latest one, Marty, he met the girls at the kennels (muzzled), went for a short walk with them on the lead then came home and was let out in the back garden with them and all was fine. It would be pretty unusual if you have any problems between a bitch and a dog as well.

Be prepared for the new boy to be quite different in personality to your pretty little girl - the boys are a lot more loving, cuddly and like to be close to you 😊 I absolutely love them! Please do post more pics soon 😊😊

numptynovice

Visit site
Oh she is beautiful ❤️ Well done on joining the greyhound owning club - and especially well done on adopting a second hound so soon 😊😊

In terms of introductions it is pretty easy to tell if they get on or not at the first meeting - I would usually muzzle for the very first time they meet, then walk them together, then if all is well I usually let them get on with it! When I picked up my latest one, Marty, he met the girls at the kennels (muzzled), went for a short walk with them on the lead then came home and was let out in the back garden with them and all was fine. It would be pretty unusual if you have any problems between a bitch and a dog as well.

Be prepared for the new boy to be quite different in personality to your pretty little girl - the boys are a lot more loving, cuddly and like to be close to you 😊 I absolutely love them! Please do post more pics soon 😊😊

Thank you - we’ve completely fallen in love with the breed and one doesn’t seem to be enough - want to give my current dog some company too. They have met (muzzled) at the re-homing place and got on very well - tiny bit of growling but then played happily in the paddock. Just not sure how my currently girl will react to another dog in the home. They’ll be muzzled initially.

The new hound is very different - he’s two and didn’t bother much with racing. He’s very playful and goofy and really into tennis balls. My kids will have lots of fun with him :) I think that the girl will definitely be the boss!

CrazyMare

Visit site
Shes gorgeous!!

Ours met in the office when we collected Maggie as a foster. They then travelled home together!! They were muzzled in the car then at home when we were out for the first few days until we came home and they'd both taken them off!!!

numptynovice

Visit site
Shes gorgeous!!

Ours met in the office when we collected Maggie as a foster. They then travelled home together!! They were muzzled in the car then at home when we were out for the first few days until we came home and they'd both taken them off!!!

I’ve been thinking about that - it says to muzzle them when left alone initially but I’m sure mine would have hers off in a few minutes left to her own devices! The new boy will be in the crate when unsupervised anyway until he’s reliably housetrained.

numptynovice

Visit site
So number 2 has arrived today and has settled very well! Here he is sparko next to the TV. The two dogs have got on great with hardly any fussing.

He’s got a dodgy tummy and needs to put on weight and got a bit excited when he sees other dogs but it’s early days and the rescue have said it’s just excitement and once he has a sniff and realises the little fluffy thing is a dog he calms down.

He’s super friendly and a lovely fun character - can’t wait to see what he’s like once he’s really settled.

1550869507806.png

{97702}

Visit site
Wow that is amazing that he is relaxed enough to roach already - my latest, Marty, took weeks if not months before hw would do that!

Marty still growls/barks at dogs which aren't greyhounds..... he isn't malicious, he just doesn't understand what they are!... we are working on that :)

numptynovice

Visit site
Wow that is amazing that he is relaxed enough to roach already - my latest, Marty, took weeks if not months before hw would do that!

Marty still growls/barks at dogs which aren't greyhounds..... he isn't malicious, he just doesn't understand what they are!... we are working on that :)

I actually can’t believe how relaxed he is already. We’ll be working on the small dog thing, I’m sure he will calm down. He needs to so he can come to the pub with us without causing a scene 😬😂

{97702}

Visit site
I actually can’t believe how relaxed he is already. We’ll be working on the small dog thing, I’m sure he will calm down. He needs to so he can come to the pub with us without causing a scene 😬😂

In my experience he will - Marty is already a right soft sod who comes for cuddles twice a day 😂 as you will have noticed 😛 I love greyhound boys 😂😂

numptynovice

Visit site
In my experience he will - Marty is already a right soft sod who comes for cuddles twice a day 😂 as you will have noticed 😛 I love greyhound boys 😂😂

Definitely noticing a difference in cuddliness from my girl, his tail is wagging constantly and he seems to LOVE being fussed.

numptynovice

Visit site
Thank you - he is lovely. Needs to put on a bit of weight and his coat’s not great - he’s not in the best condition right now. I think he’ll be stunning when he’s filled out.
He's beautiful. Nothing beats a sighthound for grace, nobility and goofiness :)
You’ve got another beautiful one there 😍😍😍 He is gorgeous, I do love black hounds

MuddyTB

Visit site
He is gorgeous and so lovely to see how relaxed he is.
We're working on the meeting of non-greyhounds still with ours, we're desperate to take them to the pub when we go on holiday in June so the clock is ticking.