Introducing new(ish) greyhound

numptynovice

Visit site
He is gorgeous and so lovely to see how relaxed he is.
We're working on the meeting of non-greyhounds still with ours, we're desperate to take them to the pub when we go on holiday in June so the clock is ticking.

We are new to greyhounds (and these are my first dogs) plus we have young children so this pair are very easy - the rescue have very much given us beginner dogs! They’re fine with other breeds, although the girl dislikes bouncy labs and retrievers and will growl at them if they get in her face. She’s pretty good in the pub and he has been in to order drinks and sat in the pub garden on Sunday 😊 my husband is super keen to get him pub trained ASAP!

I’m sure your guys will get there with lots of practice - is there a friendly local you can try on a weekday when it’s quiet and just order a quick half so you can leave if they kick off?

MuddyTB

Visit site
Pub training should be in all the manuals!
We never had any problems at all with our first greyhound so this is a bit new to us.

I think they will be ok. They used to react to every other dog walking near by, 4 months on and they will happily walk past another on the lead, but if an off lead dog comes over the boy does want to eat it. We're hoping to find a bigger, quiet dog for him to start meeting others soon but we're taking it slowly.

The biggest problem with the girl will be her manic waggy tail, she'll clear glasses off the tables in seconds if someone offers to fuss her.

numptynovice

Visit site
Fun and games at bed time last night - the big dog tried the stairs for the first time, got stuck at the top because of the baby gate and couldn’t turn to get down as the stairs are too narrow (and he’s pretty big). Let him up to the landing to turn him round and he was too scared to come back down poor lad.

He’s not supposed to be getting any treats because of his tummy but there was no way he was coming down otherwise so I ended up putting a little bit of dried salmon fillet on every step and he got the idea in the end - much to my relief as I had visions of him being up there forever and pooing and weeing all over the place.

Then the big lump decided to try to come up again! However my girl dog who sleeps at the bottom of the stairs had had anough of his antics by this point and told him very sharply to shut up and go to bed and not a peep more was heard from him 😂 Daft lummox.

{97702}

Visit site
Oh bless him that’s such a greyhound boy thing 😂 my big fawn boy Hoover was the same, he used to squeeze into spaces and couldn’t turn round so he would reverse out, a bit like one of those huge container ships manouvering! He will get used to the stairs very quickly, they always confuse them at first - luckily I live in a bungalow now 😊

numptynovice

Visit site
We used to have to carry our Irish Wolfhound down stairs; it took him about a year to figure out how to get down o_O
Wow I’m impressed you could get a wolfhound down! It was just me on my own as husband away so I was not sure if I could manage to get him down on my own as I’m only 5 ft 2! He’s like a giant skinny daddy long legs.

I really want a wolfhound or a deerhound but other half says we need a castle first 😂

MuddyTB

Visit site
Oh bless him that’s such a greyhound boy thing 😂 my big fawn boy Hoover was the same, he used to squeeze into spaces and couldn’t turn round so he would reverse out, a bit like one of those huge container ships manouvering! He will get used to the stairs very quickly, they always confuse them at first - luckily I live in a bungalow now 😊

Now that sounds familiar, our big fawn lad was always reversing out of places too. The new boy does a bit too although he is slightly smaller. Not the girl though, she's a lot nippier and more nimble.

Stairs proved a challenge too, he could go up really well but not down. Thought I'd lost him the third day we had him, searched the downstairs of the house and nowhere to be seen. Then heard a rustle upstairs, there he was stuck at the top looking down at me waiting to be rescued.