Introducing...Rocky

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
How is Mr JB?

I was afraid this would happen, I just thought it would be you that would be bitten. He doesn’t sound like he:ll ever fit and you’d forever be concerned he’d do something. I’m so sorry, J.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Jenn ..this is the hardest decision to make,but for what you have tried and done for this dog,it would be unfair to pass him on...he is dangerous and you are making the correct decision.You could not have done more for Rocky.
For those that criticize her decision..skinny dipper
and susie......unless you offer to be the divine light ie sixth home,adoption for this poor ,beautiful dog,step down and let the people who have stepped up to the task see this through.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Thank you all. Mr JB is OK, they flushed his wound out and gave him antibiotics, they said they wouldn't stitch it as better to leave it open in case of any infection. He's very upset about it, is suffering from a bit of shock and stress from the whole situation.

I discussed with the previous owner last night, and today with the vet at length. The vet also has a border collie so understands their special needs, I told her what he'd done and she agreed with me that it wasn't simply a behavioural issue and that the aggression meant that there wasn't really any other option. They didn't come to that decision lightly.

Yes I am sure I could have passed him onto yet another home but I'm certain that would mess him up further and he would end up really hurting someone. When I remember that day he flew at me, it was terrifying and nothing I did got him off me until he was satisfied.

skinnydipper

Visit site
For those that criticize her decision..skinny dipper

I have not at any time criticised JB's decision.

You owe me an apology.

I know it happens on the forum but I am never comfortable with, or feel it appropriate for, a random stranger to suggest that someone euthanise their pet, for whatever reason - behavioural or medical.

That is for the owner to decide, with advice and guidance from their vet.

Last edited:

SAujla

Visit site
It sounds less like a decision to be made and more of an only option remaining. I wish you the very best. Naturally in the future you might start remembering the good moments and question what was done but stay strong. You have already gone above and beyond for him and given him every chance, he's got a good heart but mentally it's just too much for him

Karran

Visit site
Poor Mr JB! I'm so glad he's doing ok.

IMHO it's a good job that Rocky was passed to you, so that you could take the responsible decision for him. You have saved him from what could have been a terrible future, being passed around and causing havoc in an awful lot of lives.
This a million times. You tried and then did the absolute best thing for him. Be kind to yourselves and don't blame yourself. It sounds like you have been the only responsible people in the short time that he's known.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Skinny .re..l.https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1349008/dog-news-Tuks-law-put-dog-down
no apology coming...you quoted this “ tuks law”link above, regarding a healthy dog being put down inappropriately.....etc..
....since this was so out of context regarding Rocky,I included you with susie,since I think Jenn has quite enough to deal with...end of.

re reading the last quoted post you made to me above..I think you’ve rethought things and are now supporting Jenn..hope so,she’s no other option.
So bygones.?

skinnydipper

Visit site
Skinny .re..l.https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1349008/dog-news-Tuks-law-put-dog-down
no apology coming...you quoted this “ tuks law”link above, regarding a healthy dog being put down inappropriately.....etc..
....since this was so out of context regarding Rocky,I included you with susie,since I think Jenn has quite enough to deal with...end of.

I was making JB aware of Tuk's Law (and you too it seems, and probably everyone else reading the thread), because she may have had difficulties when she went to the vet. When Rocky was scanned it may have been a dual registered chip and the rescue would have to have been informed.

Now I watched your antics with Lev and said nothing but I have strong views about it. Please don't get in my face.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I was making JB aware of Tuk's Law (and you too it seems, and probably everyone else reading the thread), because she may have had difficulties when she went to the vet. When Rocky was scanned it may have been a dual registered chip and the rescue would have to have been informed.
Not that it's relevant anyhow, but I don't think Tuk's Law is in force as yet is it from what I can gather. It's been approved to be passed into law, but the law hasn't yet been made.
I don't want this thread to get derailed into arguments, but I must say I felt you were the only person* not being supportive of my decision, whether you mean to come across this way or not I don't know, but that was certainly the impression that I was left with.

*I've no idea what SusieT said or didn't say as she's on UI but doubtless it wasn't pleasant.

SpottyTB

Visit site
JB - Just caught up on all of this. Glad to hear MR JB is ok - but what a shock. I know after having Freddie how an aggressive dog can really change your view on dogs and also create an unhappy household. My dogs never switched off, always on alert the entire time he was here.

Big hugs, you did all you could for Rocky. Right decision made!

Smitty

Visit site
W
Not that it's relevant anyhow, but I don't think Tuk's Law is in force as yet is it from what I can gather. It's been approved to be passed into law, but the law hasn't yet been made.
I don't want this thread to get derailed into arguments, but I must say I felt you were the only person* not being supportive of my decision, whether you mean to come across this way or not I don't know, but that was certainly the impression that I was left with.

*I've no idea what SusieT said or didn't say as she's on UI but doubtless it wasn't pleasant.

What a horrid decision to have to make but surely the safest thing for all concerned. Thinking of you.

In defence of SusieT, she was the first to suggest PTS if things got too bad, nothing nasty but supportive. If you take her off UI for this thread I think you will find her comments made with the best of intentions.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
W

What a horrid decision to have to make but surely the safest thing for all concerned. Thinking of you.

In defence of SusieT, she was the first to suggest PTS if things got too bad, nothing nasty but supportive. If you take her off UI for this thread I think you will find her comments made with the best of intentions.
Thanks and I will take your word for it with SusieT, I apologise to her in that case.

cbmcts

Visit site
I so sorry to hear this and you both must be devastated. But do remember that PTS is never a welfare issue. You, quite reasonably do not want to live with a dog that will bite hard enough to do damage and never underestimate the stress of having a dog that will bite - I firmly believe that until you've been there, you can't understand. I certainly didn't. It also means a lesser life for the dog - shut away from visitors and people working in the house, limited in where you can walk them, less time off lead, harder to diagnose any issues at the vets and they pick up your stress day in, day out. Sometimes the dog can be managed but if they can't, it's not your failure - it started with the breeder and Rocky has been failed by his multiple homes. All probably with the best of intentions but you and your OH have the chance to put an end to the downward spiral. That's the brave, very hard, so hard thing to do but he will be at peace with no fear, no need to defend himself, no more been moved on. Be kind to yourselves.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I so sorry to hear this and you both must be devastated. But do remember that PTS is never a welfare issue. You, quite reasonably do not want to live with a dog that will bite hard enough to do damage and never underestimate the stress of having a dog that will bite - I firmly believe that until you've been there, you can't understand. I certainly didn't. It also means a lesser life for the dog - shut away from visitors and people working in the house, limited in where you can walk them, less time off lead, harder to diagnose any issues at the vets and they pick up your stress day in, day out. Sometimes the dog can be managed but if they can't, it's not your failure - it started with the breeder and Rocky has been failed by his multiple homes. All probably with the best of intentions but you and your OH have the chance to put an end to the downward spiral. That's the brave, very hard, so hard thing to do but he will be at peace with no fear, no need to defend himself, no more been moved on. Be kind to yourselves.
That's really lovely, thank you. Everyone has been very kind and supportive but your message really makes me feel better about this horrible decision, I've been doubting ourselves but you've really summed it up.
I've also been thinking that he must have shown this side to his previous home or they would have argued our decision instead of let it happen.