Introducing... The Badminton Grassroots 2015 Winner

Gamebird

Visit site
Meet Reggie the Sportscob!! :cool:

I haven't really been on here for a while. I've been busy moving house (moving counties actually), moving job, working on a small eventing-related internet project and trying to fit competing 2 horses around a rota which involves working every other night and every other weekend in addition to 5 days a week. So on the basis that there's at least an hour spare each day when I'm not sleeping I decided to buy another project to keep me busy over the summer. For those of you who don't remember me I've had 8 or 9 of these in the last few years. All so far have sold pretty well and gone on to new lives and new careers. Time for another challenge!

Last week I went to see this pony (please don't pass out in horror!):

Although possibly I should have gone to Specsavers instead :eek:. Two days later Reggie the Sportscob arrived chez Gamebird to begin his education in life, the universe and eventing. He's out of a cob mare and by a TB/ID stallion. He's 4yo, about 16hh and completely unbroken and uneducated.

His first test was meeting the neighbours...:

He's so far learnt to lead, lunge, wear a roller and have someone very tall and scary stand next to him on a mounting block.

I have also removed enough hair from him to knit King Kong a onesie :D - when I'd finished pulling his tail the pile of hair on the floor came up to his hocks!

Reggie's aim is to be a nice all-rounder, but secretly I'd love him to be a Badminton Grassroots contender ;) - he'll be just the right sort if I keep his hairy ankles in check! He's also starring in his very own feature on breaking in horses on www.e-venting.co.uk - first instalment later today.

Only boring black coffee on offer I'm afraid. For some reason (TOTALLY unconnected to working crazy hours and now having three horses) I find myself inclined to drop off after lunch :rolleyes::confused:;)

Yay for Sportscobs!!! :cool::D:)

Last edited:

Lolo

Visit site
Yay for Reggies and for sports cobs! Al currently has one of each and they are both pretty cool, so the awesomeness you've unveiled in finding the 'double whammy' is impressive :D Forget grassroots, he'll be doing the real thing!

Gamebird

Visit site
The pressure halter in the first picture was enough to make me pass out! And for some reason he looks massive next to you standing on the block which I am sure is not supposed to be the case?

Perspective my dear girl, perspective ;). In the immortal words of Father Ted: 'small... far away...' :D

You'll note he gained a conventional headcollar when he landed on my yard :p

langside

Visit site
i reading your blog the other night - productive nightshift as ever ;-) and thought you were putting in some miles going to arena uk just for a sj school so a move explains a few things
Look forward to hearing about Reggie some more

FlyingCoo

Visit site
Coo coloured sports cobs are the best!!
With the Flying Coo on the sick bench & having to re-evaluate things, we will race you to Grassroots 2015 starting line :)
If not we could always do pairs driving & deliver the milk in the morning?:)

Cyclops

Visit site
Love him - will watch with interest - if you need anyone to babysit on a hack at Osberton then give me a ring and we'll come along - doing that with another at the moment and the girls are getting quite good at it!
xxx

IsabelleJ

Visit site
He looks like a real sweetie, please keep posting as I have missed you!

Isabelle (and you can sacrifice a little bit of sleep to keep us all up to date can't you???)

BronsonNutter

Visit site
He's rather cute :) Am sure that after a few weeks of bootcamp he will look like a different horse entirely - much more 'sport' and less 'cob'!

Btw, if you ever need an extra pair of hands in the summer feel free to ask - may be on EMS (after last years 'lets go and dislocate hands before placement' I have an awful lot to catch up on...) but if I'm free am more than happy to help. Can't have you dozing on the job! Sounds like it is picking up :)

measles

Visit site
As an old hand at finding coloured people who like to jump at speed - A's arms are 6" longer then before we got his coloured 14.2hh ;) - I feel qualified to say he is a nice chap. I'm off to Ireland next week if you would like some more, perhaps with more hair and a cart attached?

Gamebird

Visit site
Thank you everyone :)

Coo coloured sports cobs are the best!!
With the Flying Coo on the sick bench & having to re-evaluate things, we will race you to Grassroots 2015 starting line :)
If not we could always do pairs driving & deliver the milk in the morning?:)

You're on. Or you would be but sadly I'm not eligible to compete at GR and Reggie will need to be sold by then to fund the other two big horses. I'm up for the pairs driving/milk (beer?) delivering though! :D

Gamebird

Visit site
Love him - will watch with interest - if you need anyone to babysit on a hack at Osberton then give me a ring and we'll come along - doing that with another at the moment and the girls are getting quite good at it!
xxx

Definitely! You may have to wait a few weeks first though.

He's rather cute :) Am sure that after a few weeks of bootcamp he will look like a different horse entirely - much more 'sport' and less 'cob'!

Btw, if you ever need an extra pair of hands in the summer feel free to ask - may be on EMS (after last years 'lets go and dislocate hands before placement' I have an awful lot to catch up on...) but if I'm free am more than happy to help. Can't have you dozing on the job! Sounds like it is picking up :)

Cheers, yes it is picking up. And I only get dozy just after lunch. Honest ;)

Gamebird

Visit site
i reading your blog the other night - productive nightshift as ever ;-) and thought you were putting in some miles going to arena uk just for a sj school so a move explains a few things
Look forward to hearing about Reggie some more

Ah yes, whizz back to my first blog - should explain all. I've disappeared down the A1 a bit and am loving being closer to the action. Much closer!

Sarah1

Visit site
xxx

If you guys are hacking around Osberton don't forget to say hi if you see someone resembling a pea on a drum on a big bay (most probably hacking round with a coloured sports pony (cob!?) or a nutty grey TB type pony!) :)

Loving Reggie, by the way! :D

FlyingCoo

Visit site
I'm up for the pairs driving/milk (beer?) delivering though! :D

Ah yes Beer driving far better than milk driving!!
Mmm would be a shame if I had to take 2 sports cobs to GR final. Will watch Reggie's progress very closely then!!:D:D:D

Gamebird

Visit site
As an old hand at finding coloured people who like to jump at speed - A's arms are 6" longer then before we got his coloured 14.2hh ;) - I feel qualified to say he is a nice chap. I'm off to Ireland next week if you would like some more, perhaps with more hair and a cart attached?

I'd like him to jump - not so sure about the speed :eek:. I'd love a couple more but I suspect that my idea of a reasonable purchase price may be considerably less than yours ;)

Love him!

Thought he'd be your type! I'll post him down when he needs his half-pass installing :p