Introductory Post...Hello All!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hello

I've written & deleted this first post a number of times already, how difficult can it be to introduce yourself to the internet? :)

I've been riding since I was a child but have never been in a position to have a horse of my own. Thanks to some good, horse-owning friends, I've realised the barriers I thought stopped me from getting a horse aren't really there anymore.

With a bit of luck, next year I'll be agonising over another introduction email, this time to describe my new horse.

Thanks

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hi K4STR

I'm keeping it simple, ideally a cob, something sensible so not too young, nothing with too much white (friend with her first mostly-white horse offered this advice). I'd love a highland or a Cleveland bay. I want a happy hacker who I can do some other stuff with, fun rides, showing etc to low level. First I have to find somewhere to keep a horse so livery yard visiting will start this weekend.

I've got time to get this right and I know it'll be scary at first. Finding a good yard with plenty of support is the first bit step.

Any other general advice before I buy my first would be welcome.

K4STR

Visit site
Hi K4STR

I'm keeping it simple, ideally a cob, something sensible so not too young, nothing with too much white (friend with her first mostly-white horse offered this advice). I'd love a highland or a Cleveland bay. I want a happy hacker who I can do some other stuff with, fun rides, showing etc to low level. First I have to find somewhere to keep a horse so livery yard visiting will start this weekend.

I've got time to get this right and I know it'll be scary at first. Finding a good yard with plenty of support is the first bit step.

Any other general advice before I buy my first would be welcome.

All sounds very exciting!!

I would make sure i take someone else experiened with you in order to give their view on the horse aswell! If possible id ask for someone to ride the horse in the areana and on the roads whilst you are their (Or allow you to ride it) and preferably go for one that comes with tack!
Vet checks are the way forward especially if you are paying good money for a horse
Ask about the history of the horse, how many owners if known what its done previously for you to gage how experienced the horse really is

In terms of livery;
Turn out rules - winter & Summer (Find one that suits you best - Some yards are really helpful and will have someone who puts out in the morning and brings in the winter evenings if owner is working - I find this very useful as i work full time! )
Safe fields/fencing - to reduce nasty vet bills!
smaller livery yards are always better, unless your horse is used to a busy busy yard!!

Ive just recently bought another horse after 3 years, and adhered to the above and now the proud owner of a beautiful mare on a lovely yard! :)

Hope this helps!!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
That's very helpful thanks, and yes had planned to take a friend, not buy at first visit, full vet etc.
I've budgeted for having to buy tack, rugs, etc but, will ask if any wardrobe comes with.

okepunya

Visit site
Hello
g.png

Thanks
welcome

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Firstly, apologies for using an old introductory thread to do my second introduction (but it seemed a nice low traffic place to have my first attempt at uploading pics. I now have my first horse and after the initial overwhelmed stage, I'm so happy with my new boy. I stuck with the idea of getting a native, but I was lucky enough to get a call about a Suffolk. While obviously nervous about getting such a big horse, I found a really good yard who have been amazing and so supportive.

For those of you considering getting something this big, the downsides no one will mention are: there is a lot more horse to clean when he's been enjoying the mud, if you want to hack a route with gates you'll need to find a small child who can jump on & off their pony to do gates for you (not only can I not reach but he needs room to turn).

Here he is, E, my 7yo Suffolk who measures 16.3hh - 17hh (but I tell myself he's 15.2) who arrived at the end of May.

ZgrMXux.jpg

nSJVdDW.jpg

GIF2mln.jpg

sorry for the size of the pics, hope you like him.