INVESTING IN RACEHORSE SYNDICATES

Maya_Isabella

New User
Visit site
Evening everyone, I’m Maya, I’ve spent my life around horses and now I’ve recently started my career as a journalist.

I’m currently investigating the purchasing of shares / buying into UK based racehorse syndicates. If anyone has any recent experiences, good or bad, would you be able to share them with me, please?
Here are some other questions I would love to have answers to:

1. How many shares do you have ?
  2. Have you ever made a return ?
  3. How long have you been a shareholder?
  4. What was your motivation for buying shares?
  5. Do you feel satisfied with the service you’ve received from the company you’ve invested in?
Thank you for your time,
Maya

J&S

Visit site
I bought my son a share in a horse via Owners Group as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. He is interested in racing both from a business and from fun point of view, he likes to place a bet now and then. He thought it was a really cool present! Sadly this horse didn't actually run but he bought himself another share of a different horse that won him quite a few quid. I had heard about the group from my riding friend, she mentioned one day that she was "going to see her race horse", I was rather taken aback so she explained. She has had shares in the same horse for a few years and she does it for the social, visits to the yard, etc etc. I don't think she has ever won any thing but as an ex jockey and long time worker with race horses and trainers I think it keeps her in the game. She does like to watch it run on race days!

Seems like harmless fun to me. No pressure to re buy or extra hidden expenses. I do realise there is a huge problem with gambling addiction but I don't think this fuelling that fire.

irishdraft

Visit site
I have a friend who ended up buying a half share in a racehorse , she absolutely loves it, goes to all the race meetings and also goes up to watch him out training. Definitely didn't do it to make money but she does have a flutter now & then x

Spotherisk

Visit site
I have three Owners Group horses, oh and three previously. It’s been fun, interesting, I’ve loved the stable visits and seeing those horses run. I’ve even sneakily made it into the winners enclosure when one won! I’ve also signed up for Chris Honour Racing Club, mainly because they are very local to me and I see the string hacking out when I drive to work!

wren123

Visit site
My old neighbour had a share as part of a very small syndicate in a successful racehorse called Primo Valentino, he did well financially as well having a wonderful experience.
However his experience was exceptional.

Visit site
From someone who works in racings point of view:

These big 3000 person syndicates are an utter pain in the backside to deal with (sorry but they are 😂). When they do yard visits hundreds of people turn up. At the races you are met with a wall of people who all "own" the horse and they all want their individual picture taken with the horse. And hell mend you if the horse wins! The photo grabbers get worse than ever! They often don't understand that the horse isn't a toy for them to fawn over. The stable lad or lass has a duty of care to the horse and the horse needs washed down, cooled down and taken back to the stable yard.

On the flip side they are amazing for racing in general.

People buy a microshare as a gift for someone. That then gives them something to look forward to. It gets them to the bookies or the pub to chat about their horse with their mates. It brings families together to watch the horse for a day out. It gets them into the racecourses where they are spending money. No matter how small a share you own, if you remember you have it and follow it you will be putting some sort of money back into racing. It brings the normal, average person into racing who would never normally be able to afford such a thing.

Orangehorse

Visit site
There is no investing in a racehorse. If you expect to make money you are mostly going to be very disappointed. Its for the interest, the chance to go to the trainer's yard and following "your" horse in its career.

I am on my fourth Owners Group horse. All the previous three won at least one race, which I think is pretty good. All three were retired either through soundness issues or lack of form. One is a companion, the other two have gone to nice retirement homes and are doing well. There is a weekly newsletter and regular videos. I take an interest in all the other Owners Group horses and feel pleased when they do well. Whoever buys the horses pays decent money for them, so there is at least a chance that they will be able to go on and get to a racecourse and run in races, although it is by no means guaranteed.

We pay once a year for the share and that is it, everything is covered for that year and no more financial demands. I don't bet, but I believe that they do a bit of a "what to bet on" as well.

The current one has won twice and is an exciting prospect, I went to see him at the trainer's yard last week.
My sister had a share in Stage Star that won at Cheltenham last year, she was good at picking out the right horse.

Any winnings have gone on to buy a share in another horse, so my account is currently about £1.25. It is inexpensive fun.

As for those who run it all, no doubt they are making plenty of money, but they have staff to pay and the owners to deal with.

It is the best idea to pick a trainer that isn't too far away so that you can feasibly travel to the yard to see your horse rather than the other end of the country.

I would consider taking a share in a local syndicate or local racing club, but I haven't got the money to buy a big share in a horse. It would cost more but should mean more involvement.
It certainly is NOT an investment.

fetlock

Visit site
I currently have shares in six with OG. I got the first share on a whim during the first lockdown.

It’s a great little low cost, low effort hobby. I don’t go to the races - applied for an owners badge just the once, got one but cancelled as couldn’t go in the end. I also don’t do stable visits as all are too far away. I also don’t bet.

All six have won at least once, as did the two I had previously - though it’s dropped this year, their combined win rate till then was just over 40%. One has won a grade 2 and finished second in a grade 1 - very thrilling, even if the share in him is the equivalent of a single whisker on his nose.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I currently have shares in six with OG. I got the first share on a whim during the first lockdown.

It’s a great little low cost, low effort hobby. I don’t go to the races - applied for an owners badge just the once, got one but cancelled as couldn’t go in the end. I also don’t do stable visits as all are too far away. I also don’t bet.

All six have won at least once, as did the two I had previously - though it’s dropped this year, their combined win rate till then was just over 40%. One has won a grade 2 and finished second in a grade 1 - very thrilling, even if the share in him is the equivalent of a single whisker on his nose.
I tell everyone I own about 4 hairs in his tail.

Visit site

Is one of yours a chestnut trained by McCain by any chance?

millikins

Visit site
I saw a patient recently, older lady who showed me her "stable" on her smartphone. She's dying, well aware of it but determined to make it to January to see her new share backed and start training. She tried to persuade me to buy a share, I just know as someone horsey who owns a field, I'd end up with it full of failed racehorses :D

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I got mum a share in a mare with Owner's Group when she first got ill. I hoped to get her to a stable visit and thought she'd have fun watching progress. It was at the time when we hoped mum would stabilise.

Sadly, the mare never got anywhere near a racecourse, and the progress was one rehab or operation/rehab after another. They said that she was retired to stud, which is worrying as the mare never stood up to any kind of work, and it wasn't an external type injury.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
In addition to my above reply, in light of others having had a great time, I just bought another share in an unremarkable but older horse, with some unremarkable form, but form nonetheless. He is running at Newcastle on Friday!

I have half a mind to apply for a badge! How do I watch Newcastle racing? Is it online?

Spotherisk

Visit site
In addition to my above reply, in light of others having had a great time, I just bought another share in an unremarkable but older horse, with some unremarkable form, but form nonetheless. He is running at Newcastle on Friday!

I have half a mind to apply for a badge! How do I watch Newcastle racing? Is it online?

I bet (only tiny amounts!) with Bet365, that allows me to watch the race live through their website.

j1ffy

Visit site
I don’t think anyone with half a brain would view buying into a syndicate as an ‘investment’. I’ve got two with Owners Group (and had two others previously) and one with Old Gold (the amazing Apple, and another previously). Other than Apple they’ve been mediocre at best but it’s fun to follow them and to meet ‘my’ horse at stable visits and open days (sadly not Apple as she’s too far away!).

The T&Cs and FAQs for both syndicates make it very clear that owning a share in a racehorse isn’t an investment, that there’s no guarantee of a win (or even that the horse will make it to a course) or that you’re likely to win money betting. The £30-60 per year is purely fun, to allow you a bit more ‘behind the scenes’ access to a horse and get to know how racing works.

Owners Group publish letters monthly and it always astounds and amuses me how many letters come in ranting about the lack of runs / waste of money / betting losses. OG are very patient in their responses!

As a journalist I hope you’re looking to be balanced in your views and not try to make out that mass syndicates are some sort of betting scam. The title of this thread smacks of an angle.

leflynn

Visit site
I have micro shares in 2 with Old Gold, 1st was bought with some of the winnings from my ROR :D The second I just fancied another, hoping they'll be racing soon! I did it as a cheap way into having a horse to follow, have always loved racing and racehorses (was a bookies clerk as a first job). I'm not really bothered about going to yard visits/on track (miles away) but I do love the insight on training with the updates and I'll be happy if they run well and come home safe

fetlock

Visit site

Definitely apply for a badge. I got mine for Newcastle. Less apply for one in the North so better odds of securing one.

I listen live on racing radio then log on to Sporting Life afterwards - with an account you can watch the race replays free, which go up about 10 mins after the race.

I think there are other sites you can register with and watch live for free (some you can but need to bet on the race) but don’t know which they are )

olop

Visit site

Newcastle will be on sky sports racing on sky if you have sky TV.

minesadouble

Visit site
I have bought a 20th share in a 3 year old racehorse, trained relatively local to me.
He won't run until next October. I certainly don't view it as an investment, other than an investment in fun and.enjoyment hopefully.