Invitation to complete census on ex-racehorses by British Horseracing Authority

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Cragrat

Visit site
Still not sure whythis is needed in addition to passports (compulsory) and ROR ( voluntary)? This is another voluntary scheme which will therefore be even less complete /up to date than the poorly enforced passport system!

humblepie

Visit site
Its not an ongoing scheme but a census bit like the people one every ten years for research for after racing care. Registration with RoR only tells them who has the horse now and I imagine it’s mainly done for competing not for tracing.

Squeak

Visit site
Still not sure whythis is needed in addition to passports (compulsory) and ROR ( voluntary)? This is another voluntary scheme which will therefore be even less complete /up to date than the poorly enforced passport system!

They explain that passports are only completed for about 20% of horses once they've left racing and would agree with humblepie that ROR membership is probably mainly done for competing so imagine there is still quite a large gap.

No harm in trying to find more info.

humblepie

Visit site
It is interesting from the concept of is an ex racehorse the racing industry's responsibility for the whole of its ex racing life. For example, a horse that raced a couple of times as a 3 year old, when that horse is 10, 15, 20 is he or she still the racing industry's responsibility. He or she was brought into the world to race but racing only formed a very small part of that horse's life. Looking at a warm blood stud breeding top end dressage horses, does the dressage industry have a responsiblity to that horse when it stops being a dressage horse or didn't become a dressage horse? I think the census is a good starting point to find out information and ideally not just those who already engage through RoR will complete it.

reynold

Visit site
I think the census should also supply data in regard to the many and various activities ex-racehorses do once they've left racing. Hopefully this will encourage more uptake of ex-racers than currently where they are often just considered to be a 'cheap' purchase by unsuitable owners.

If the perception of them can be changed then hopefully more can find homes and be considered by buyers as a 'quality' option instead of immediately choosing (mainly imported) warmbloods that themselves are often unsuitable for the riders that buy them.

ROR is good but 'showing' is not all that many people's choice of equestrian activity which rightly or wrongly is what ROR is mainly viewed as.

I do also think that if racing is concerned (even if 'just' for social license reasons) about the future of racehorses once they are out of racing then they ought to take on board the conformation and soundness of the horses the industry are breeding.

humblepie

Visit site
I can’t post a link but RoR have posted the breakdown of what registered horses are doing. Hacking then combined training/hunter trials then dressage then showing are the highest percentages but not sure if this is sole discipline or more than one per horse. So mine would be hacking dressage and showing but not sure if I tick all those boxes when registering him.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
I can’t post a link but RoR have posted the breakdown of what registered horses are doing. Hacking then combined training/hunter trials then dressage then showing are the highest percentages but not sure if this is sole discipline or more than one per horse. So mine would be hacking dressage and showing but not sure if I tick all those boxes when registering him.
Was it this one?

C6B55E06-3386-434C-BF16-95164AA67653.jpeg

Squeak

Visit site
I didn't actually like that question in the census - I think it was something like what is the activity you do the most with your ex-racer? As the thing I do most is hack but your main focus could be SJ or eventing etc and so I do wonder if that is why hacking has come out so high?

Visit site
There's much more to RoR than just showing. There's all of the training and things they put on as well as the dressage, show jumping, cross country, endurance, polo leagues etc. And their system isn't fail safe either. It relies on the owner updating the horses details. Once you register yourself and your horse you are in the system for life. If your horse dies or you sell it then unless you update your RoR account that horse will always be next to your name. If you no longer have any RoR's and have nothing to do with it anymore your account is still there til doomsday or you go in and cancel it. So the numbers are skewed on their own database for that.

Lexi 123

Visit site
it makes me wonder if these is a way of racing studs and trainers how successful they are out of racing in different careers so certain stallions will do sport horse breeding.

Visit site
it makes me wonder if these is a way of racing studs and trainers how successful they are out of racing in different careers so certain stallions will do sport horse breeding.

A lot of tb stallions do stand at stud for non tb mares. They are just the lower end ones. Golden Lariat has more part breds on the ground than he does racehorses. But most people couldn't justify the price tag to go to a tb stallion. Most start at 3k and rapidly increase up to 150k+.

Some people pick up young colts out of training that weren't very good at racing and stand them as sports horse sires. There is actually nothing to stop racing tb sires covering non racehorses. It's just the price that puts them out of contention.

Gamebird

Visit site

That was a poor question on the census I thought as you could only pick one option. So the option that I picked (team-chasing) didn't reflect the fact that ex-racehorses that I have/had will also do hacking, dressage, SJing, hunting, eventing etc. etc. Very few horses are single-discipline specific, especially at the amateur end of the spectrum. I think allowing you to pick the top 3 activities you take part in might have provided a better split.

RoR do get the discipline info on registration as well, but they allow you to tick 'all that apply'. It does mean it's limited to RoR registered horses, but the discipline split statistics are already gathered by them.

humblepie

Visit site
They do seem to have cross referenced ones already on the record in one place or another. I’d been thinking about the finding that most retired from racing and retrained as not good enough racing - realistically few win huge amounts but the younger flat horses who have shown some promise are often sold abroad. I remember one of the horses in training sales not that long ago where horses were sold to 30 different countries.