Involvement in horse when loaned out

sharonmaskell

Visit site
I have posted previously about my lovely connie who I came to the sad conclusion was too spooky for me. I have found him a lovely loan home which is a lot quieter than where he was and he is having lots of fun - in fact next week he is going cross country schooling which he would never have done with me. My only financial commitment now is his insurance which I wanted to keep going. My question is, having never had a horse on loan or loaned out is this. I have seen a lovely rug for him and am thinking of getting it, but should I. I do not want to upset my loaner by sticking my nose in. If you loaned a horse wold this upset you. She is such a lovey girl and keeps me in the loop with everything she is doing.

rachk89

Visit site
If I was loaning a horse I wouldn't be bothered about the owner buying the horse something. Would be glad actually that I didn't have to to be honest.

Maybe just let her know you are going to just to pre warn her?

JJS

Visit site
My first horse was a permanent loan who was then gifted to me. Her former owner often bought her rugs and other bits and bobs throughout the time that I had her, and it was always much appreciated. She is a wonderful lady, and to me, it felt like getting gifts from a favourite auntie. Plus, it left more in my own bank account, and as a student and then a young professional, that was more helpful than she could have known.

numptynoelle

Visit site
I'd probably ask her - whatever way you usually communicate (email, phone, text etc) and say something like "I've just seen a lovely rug for X (brand, weight, colour) - would you mind if I bought it for you to use? Let me know what you think, etc etc."

That way, she'd still be able to say no if she wanted, and you wouldn't be treading on her toes. Personally, I think it sounds like a lovely thing for you to do :smile3:

Lizzie66

Visit site
I always think trying to strike the right balance can be tricky which is why I always said I would rather not loan to someone on the same yard as however nice you are or good they are it would be difficult to not offer unsolicited comments which people can then take as a criticism. If someone is going to be a long term loaner and seems good and competent then you want her to see you as someone who is always there to help but won't interfere.

So if she keeps you in the loop then a quick text back saying "would you mind terribly if I got him a new rug as I saw it and thought he'd look adorable in it" would give her the opportunity to say "oh I've just ordered one" or some other polite way of saying she is happy to do this sort of thing her self (it may or may not be true) or she may go "that'd would be lovely thank you".

By the way you sound like you are a very nice owner.

Abacus

Visit site
This is a really interesting general question. I think you have good advice above on the specific question (should you buy him a rug) but there are other areas that are unclear for many loaners and loanees - such as:

- how often to update the owner on welfare / progress - every week or month?
- does the owner visit, and do they go unannounced?
- who is responsible for 'stuff' - say when a rug breaks or the horse just needs something

Having had horses on loan I think I have been massively lucky that the loaners were happy to update me often, and even bought things themselves. I still have a lovely Fal rug that came back with my horse from on loan - I offered to pay but was politely turned down.

I don't think this stuff necessarily needs to go in a contract, but is something to bear in mind when you meet a potential loaner - can you get on with them, and do they have the same stance as you on these areas?

How lovely it is when both a loaner and owner care so much about the horse that they are both trying to do the right thing.

sharonmaskell

Visit site
Thanks everyone. On reading some past posts on loaners I realise I have struck gold. I will definitely message her and see what she says. Although I don't ride him now I sill love him with all my heart and I know my loaner does too.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Thanks everyone. On reading some past posts on loaners I realise I have struck gold. I will definitely message her and see what she says. Although I don't ride him now I sill love him with all my heart and I know my loaner does too.

Loans CAN and DO work. I've got a lovely mare which I took on loan initially from an old schoolfriend, and she eventually gifted the horse to me - certainly the most precious thing I've ever been given TBH.

I can't see that the loaner would mind at all, it would give you a lovely excuse to pop over to see your boy and have a coffee and chat with them. As someone else has said, just a text or whatever, words to the effect of "saw a lovely rug for XXXX and could just see him in it....... what do you think??" or sommat like that.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Having loaned my horse out in March and then rescued him as a hatrack five months later I have told new loaners to be, that they can expect them be stalked. I had visited a few times and then stepped back a bit to let them bond and all that and the result, a starved horse, because she ran out of grass and didn't want the expensive of hay in the summer. I will maintain a keen interest in my horse and the sort of person I want for my horse will understand that. As for buying him things I would expect most people would be happy to get stuff bought.

sharonmaskell

Visit site
So sorry Sukistokes2 for you and your horse. I am extremely lucky as my boy is only about 20 minutes drive from me. My loaner sends me pictures all the time and as I said lets me know whenever she has anything planned. I can go and see him whenever I like.

WelshD

Visit site
personally i'd think it odd and would wonder if I would then get questions from the owner on why pony wasn't wearing his new rug in the next spell of rain/snow/wind etc... whether I would then get comments about new bits, martingales, bridles and feed buckets etc

you have entrusted someone else with the care of your pony so I would let them make the decision on what to equip the pony with

lindsay1993

Visit site
We have loaned a pony for my daughter. We have had him almost 4 months now and his owners are visiting at the end of the month. She is a lovely lady but I'm worried that she's going to question the changes I have made. He came with a totally unsuitable bridle/bit combination and a cart and harness that don't fit him at all. We have spent a lot on new gear for him and lots of time getting him settled as he was quite stressed when he came. He is a different pony now, in a good way, so hopefully she will see how happy he is

Equi

Visit site
I would be over the moon that a) he had a nice new rug i didn't have to pay for, and b) his owner still cared enough to think about buying him a wee rug!

Antw23uk

Visit site
I think its a bit odd as well. Personally I wouldnt and I wouldnt like it! I put my boy out on loan for a year (so different scenario) and he went with a lot of stuff which was all listed in the loan agreement. I kept in regular contact via FB pics ect and I visited every month. I did put in the loan agreement that I would ride him every month but to be honest i rarely did as he was looking and going so well and having a lovely time.

Ask her but personally I think its a bit too interfering!

gnubee

Visit site
I think it would be OK, but maybe as a xmas gift addressed to horse so it's clearly a one off with a note to loaner saying you wanted him to have it but she is free to use/ not use it as she chooses and you don't expect it back or mind if it gets damaged through use etc so she doesn't feel like you just gave her another thing to look after.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
personally i'd think it odd and would wonder if I would then get questions from the owner on why pony wasn't wearing his new rug in the next spell of rain/snow/wind etc... whether I would then get comments about new bits, martingales, bridles and feed buckets etc

you have entrusted someone else with the care of your pony so I would let them make the decision on what to equip the pony with

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Personally I would ask if there was anything she needed, rug wise, for the winter that you could get but I certainly wouldn't tell her it has to be Brand X in style Y and weight Z if that is not what is needed.

(I too, just pay the insurance on my mare loaned out and have always asked if there's anything they need for; many the time the answer is no thanks but once it was a M/W turnout which I happily provided for her.
If you had sent the rug with the pony in the first place that is different of course, it's part of her belongings from the start.

pansymouse

Visit site
I jointly own a pony that we always have out on loan and the last three have ended badly so this time we made it completely clear from first contact with all prospective owners that we would expect to visit him periodically. We never go unannounced and try to fit in with his loaners schedule as best we can. The purpose really is give us peace of mind and she knows that. He was sent fully kitted out but would happily get anything he needed if she asked. The new loaner loves him dearly and he has bonded with her despite the fact he is orange and she kitted him out head to hoof in pink!

scats

Visit site
As this thread has shown, people view it very differently, so to be on the safe side I would drop her a text and say you've seen a lovely rug that you'd like to buy, but you don't want her to feel like you're stepping on her toes and would she be ok with you buying it. Chances are she will be delighted, but at least you have shown you have considered her feelings in it and don't want to be seen like you are interfering.