Ionic, infrared, magnetic?

dollymix

Visit site
So my mare, who has spavins, has been wearing magnetic hock boots for the past year when stabled at night.

I’m a sceptic and not sure if it’s magnets, or the fact that the joint is kept warm, but they do make a big difference to her.

However, they have started to rub a little so I was thinking of purchasing some more, but in the past 12-18 months, so many different hock boots, using different “therapies” have emerged!

So I was hoping to get advice or recommendations based on what others use.

Current boots have Velcro which passes over the top of the hock and I think it’s this which is rubbing. Guessing it’s difficult to fit boots round the hock to be fair. Are there that are fitted over the point of the hock?

Does anyone use the ionic or infrared boots instead....Having tried magnets previously?

I’d like to leave them on overnight from 7pm-7pm usually. She is turned out most days and worked 5-6 days a week, schooling, polework, hacking and jumping.

Would love to hear what others think have made a difference.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am absolutely convinced that magnets made a huge difference to my mare. She went from hobbling at walk on 2x bute per day, on the point of pts to trotting in for her tea, in 24 hours!

BOWS28

Visit site
Honestly, i swear by magnets! i have always been skeptical about them on humans and have always thought its all in our heads... but when i relented and bought some magnetic hock boots for my girl last winter, my opinion has massively changed!!
She now has a PE magnetic rug, the hoof boots and hock boots which are all brilliant and in my opinion well worth the price tag.
My big girl wears her rug for travelling and before and after hard exercise, hock boots during the day when stabled and hoof boots over night. i LOVE them. i have to say i may invest in some of the above hock boots as i find the current once tend to slip - hence i don't leave them on over night. Tiddlypom, do you find they stay in place?

fburton

Visit site
I swear by keeping the joint warm and whatever else the boot might be doing in the way of support and/or massage. I don't believe magnets add anything except expense.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
i have to say i may invest in some of the above hock boots as i find the current once tend to slip - hence i don't leave them on over night. Tiddlypom, do you find they stay in place?
They have slipped occasionally when on overnight, though they usually stay up. Mostly I put them on when she's in during the day for any reason. Pre work she has a half hour session with her equilibrium massage pad plus her hock boots, spoilt madam that she is! Another view of the hock boots, this time showing the hole for the point of the hock.

image.jpeg

Fburton, I agree that keeping the joint warm is what is effective in relieving arthritic pain.

dollymix

Visit site
Thanks all - I am a convert to hock boots too.

But would prefer them to be on overnight when she is stabled.

I have Equine Magnetix which are on their second winter and great condition, but for some reason they are rubbing this year. I wondered if the fittings of the Premier Equine ones would be better at avoiding rubbing...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I swear by keeping the joint warm and whatever else the boot might be doing in the way of support and/or massage. I don't believe magnets add anything except expense.

If you had seen the difference in my mare you would not be so sceptical! It really was her last chance. I bought them on wom recommendation, without much expectation of a good result and was amazed when i saw the difference they made to her. They haven't worked so well on other horses but then, they weren't so badly affected, either.

ETA, they were leg wraps worn just above the fetlock, for 24 hrs the first day and then 12 hours daily. I alternatd the legs they were on after the first 24 hours.

Last edited:

fburton

Visit site
If you had seen the difference in my mare you would no0t be so sceptical! It really was her last chance. I bought them on wom recommendation, without much expectation of a good result and was amazed when i saw the difference they made to her. They haven't worked so well on other horses but then, they weren't so badly affected, either.
I'm afraid I would need to see pretty strong evidence for magnets working before I change my mind - a well run clinical trial, for example, or maybe a study in which the horse wore either a boot with magnets or an identical boot without from week to week and the person judging how stiff the horse was didn't know what which boots had been worn that week. Sorry, but that's just me.

However, I'm not going to rubbish other people's views on the matter or dictate what boots they should or shouldn't use.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm afraid I would need to see pretty strong evidence for magnets working before I change my mind - a well run clinical trial, for example, or maybe a study in which the horse wore either a boot with magnets or an identical boot without from week to week and the person judging how stiff the horse was didn't know what which boots had been worn that week. Sorry, but that's just me.

However, I'm not going to rubbish other people's views on the matter or dictate what boots they should or shouldn't use.

Well I can't really expect you to take my word for it but I certainly can't think of any other explanation for the complete change in her overnight. I do recommend magnets to other people if they ask but always with the caveat that they worked for her but not for the other horses who have worn the same leg-wraps.

Visit site
I am not a believer in these things but at the same time I don't dismiss them. They certainly do no harm. Animals can't give us the placebo effect that him and can so what works for one might not work for another.

I myself have worn a cheap copper and magnet bracelet on my wrist - swopped wrist after about 9 months - for about a year and a half. Can't honestly say if it has done much as my joints still ache! But I have not had any ganglion cysts return since I have worn it. I always got them on both wrists, did for years but don't have any now.

We use magnetic boots at work- whether it's the heat or the magnets that make the difference who knows!