Irish draft feet

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I've recently bought an young mare who has a lot of Irish Draft in her. Her feet had been very neglected when I got her and were really overgrown and splayed out. 5 months later after regular trims they're a lot better than they were but are still quite flat underneath and wide, a bit like dinner plates! Is this typical of the breed?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have two ID's
One has big relatively flat feet but he has super big frogs and and excellent heels he's working without shoes ATM and very sound .
The other has much squarer boxier feet with heels that have a tendency to be to narrow at the heel ,his feet where troublesome when we first got him because he had seared heels but that's all under control now .
The first horse is very traditional in type and he has the feet that match his big frame and heavy bone .

stormox

Visit site
It's draught. Some can have quite small feet for their size, as there is often a lot of TB in their back breeding. But mostly they have good medium size feet with nice concave soles. You do get the odd few with large flat feet as there was a Clyde's Dale influence in some strains.

spacefaer

Visit site
It's draught. Some can have quite small feet for their size, as there is often a lot of TB in their back breeding. But mostly they have good medium size feet with nice concave soles. You do get the odd few with large flat feet as there was a Clyde's Dale influence in some strains.

I'm intrigued Stormox. Which strains have Clydesdale in them?

KautoStar1

Visit site
Oh and to add my pure bred ID has awful feet. They are big but relative to his size not big. He is shod all round all the time. With pads on the front as he has very flat feet with no arch to them at all. Despite my best efforts he has always had rubbish feet. They just fall to bits if left unshod. He's grey. I don't know if that's any reason although his feet are black. I have an excellent farrier.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh and to add my pure bred ID has awful feet. They are big but relative to his size not big. He is shod all round all the time. With pads on the front as he has very flat feet with no arch to them at all. Despite my best efforts he has always had rubbish feet. They just fall to bits if left unshod. He's grey. I don't know if that's any reason although his feet are black. I have an excellent farrier.

Mine with the flat feet is grey his horn is thick and hard that the farriers threatens to charge me extra for new rasps .

Regandal

Visit site

It's Clydesdale. :p

stormox

Visit site
It's Clydesdale. :p

Ha ha :) my phone did that. Is that what happened draught/draft? It is actually in the breed standard (or used to be) ' obvious clydesdale markings are not desirable. And yes in some it shows in the hocks and close together hind limbs wih turned out hind feet. I think it was way back before registration they used Clyde, mainly in the North as they were imported from Scotland..y

Mule

Visit site
Clyde blood was added to make them stronger for farm work. The breeders didn't like the result and added tb blood to counteract it.

Annagain

Visit site
My IDx has huge feet. They are excellent in terms of strength. He's not shod behind and they're hard as nails. He has (quite unique!) problems however with the conformation of his front feet so needs wedges in front. It's a shame as I'd rather keep him barefoot but his set of issues mean I can't.

Mule

Visit site
I have a now retired ID with perfect feet. But I have an ISH with a smallish amount of ID in him who has terrible, flat, saucer like feet.
My farrier says it can happen when the TB is crossed with the draught, something about a bigger body on hooves designed for a lighter horse, I think.

Last edited: