Irish Draft mare to x or not

ladyaga

Visit site
We have a pure ID 10 year old mare 17-2 putting her in foal, not sure if to breed pure, or x her. I am breeding to sell quality potential Event SJ foals, using stallions like Ramiro B and Future Illusion, Forinth, to name a few. From proven mares. Not sure what you would sell an ID foal to do, friend said they are wanted for hunting.
Have only one foal left this year, by Eventer stallion Greenville Audacity who is coloured.
We are a small breeding farm, using the best stallions available. Any helpful suggestions please.:):)

minmax

Visit site
I personally would go for something lighter, TB or TBxWB to produce a nice eventer type. I have an IDxTB (Embla) who is my horse of a lifetime. They sell well as have a nice brain usually & can turn a hoof to most things.

ihatework

Visit site
I think a lot will depend on your own mares strengths and what she has done herself/thrown.

I think it is easy to be set down the TB/WB mix stallions, understandably, but the market has so many of these ISH with WB influence these days that I do think you would need a good performance mare to see a return on your investment. If selling as a foal then this may well be the way to go, pay for the stallion up in the world rankings etc. Although the only one in your OP list I would consider would be Ramiro B.

If you are in a position to keep and produce I might be inclined to only use traditional TB and/or RID lines. Quality pure Irish horses (as opposed to the warmblood mixes) are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Having just had a RID myself recently I was chatting to someone about how many good qualities he had, and how I'd like a slightly more athletic sportier version of him in the future. That latter type, as nicely started 4yos, are fetching 12-15k quite easily, provided they are smart and sane.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would support the RID and send her to Avanti Amorous Archie to breed myself a middle or heavyweight show hunter. But that is just me being self centred.

Asha

Visit site
In your shoes id be putting her to Archie as well, particularly as you want to sell on, they seem to sell very quickly.

Ive just used Ramiro B, on a WB mare, I'm absolutely over the moon with him. He has an amazing attitude and is utterly gorgeous. I have a 3/4 ID mare, but I wouldn't use Ramiro B on her, as to get an eventer I reckon you'd need a good amount of blood.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
As a regular user of Avanti Amorous Archie, I'm safe, lol - and they sure do sell well! I haven't had a part-bred by him, only pure-breds, and a lot of them are showing or doing dressage well. And of course some are much loved hunters or happy hackers. Is the mare graded Class 1? If so, then I would certainly recommend breeding pure - to Archie - and Rita WILL be able to be persuaded if you have a good stud vet. Otherwise, a good TB jumping bred TB will give you a very saleable foal too.

ritajennings

Visit site
Archie will be available to about 10 new mares in 2018 , I made this decision due the the large amount of repeat mares we had in 2017. His book is not full yet, please email if you are interested in using Archie . Many thanks for the recommendations very kind of you all. Rita x