Irish draught x Welsh section D. Anyone got one?

ImmyS

Visit site
Going to view a 15.1hh 4 year old, ID x Welsh D tomorrow. Broken and riding away but green as grass as you'd expect. Looking for a blank canvas to hopefully be a nice all rounder.

Any experience of this mix as it's not one I've personally experienced before. Any pictures and stories would be great.

Thank you 😊

lelly

Visit site
Yes I have one, she is built like a brick toilet but isn't very tall, around 15hh at rising 6. She has a fantastic nature if slightly bolshy sometimes. She is the most willing horse I have ever owned and will try anything asked of her. She showjumps and has done a little cross country, beach rides and pleasure rides. She is an absolute star.

ImmyS

Visit site
Yes I have one, she is built like a brick toilet but isn't very tall, around 15hh at rising 6. She has a fantastic nature if slightly bolshy sometimes. She is the most willing horse I have ever owned and will try anything asked of her. She showjumps and has done a little cross country, beach rides and pleasure rides. She is an absolute star.

She sounds lovely! It sounds like a good mix of breeds. do you have any pictures?

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
Interesting cross. Could be good, but be careful of the possibility of getting a horse built like an ID tank but with the welsh panic button installed :eek3:

Yes! Something I have thought of, hopefully he is a mixture of good traits from each breed! ��

lelly

Visit site
Have a look for my thread titled Filthy. That's her but no up to date pictures there.
I've just looked and my pictures aren't showing there either.

Last edited:

skint1

Visit site
I have one that may be that sort of cross. He's 16.2, very handsome, built like a brick outhouse. He has a lovely nature, but he is a worrier, needs a lot of reassurance. I affectionately call him a "big girls' blouse" but I love him to bits

lelly

Visit site
2u40wue.jpg

Whoop whoop, did it!

JJS

Visit site

She's lovely and has such a kind face! It's interesting that you can look at each body part and tell exactly which parent it came from. That's definitely a Welsh face but on an ID frame. My D x Traditional is the opposite: every part of her appearance is from her Welsh sire, with the sole exception of her beard! :D

I think FW's buckskin foal is an ID x Welsh D too. He's a gorgeous little guy!

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Was it the black one? If so I thought it looked a nice sort :) but did think it a bit back at the knee but wasn't sure if it was an effect of the black against the white sock behind and as not convinced by the accompanying feet as could be seen in the pic but it wasn't a great confo pic

ImmyS

Visit site
Was it the black one? If so I thought it looked a nice sort :) but did think it a bit back at the knee but wasn't sure if it was an effect of the black against the white sock behind and as not convinced by the accompanying feet as could be seen in the pic but it wasn't a great confo pic

I think it's the same one. Well he's rather lovely and legs look better in person. Not perfect conformation but would improve a lot with work and as he grows. A few quirks but lots of potential, hopefully have second viewing

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Fab, I did think he looked like he could turn into something nice. :) and was not a bad looking mix of the breeds.

Annagain

Visit site
Having had a D whom I adored and then and ID crossed with something I think I'd love this sort of cross. I'll be following with interest. I'm a bit too big for all but the biggest Ds these days.

ImmyS

Visit site
Fab, I did think he looked like he could turn into something nice. :) and was not a bad looking mix of the breeds.

He is a little bit cut and shut, but has a nice length of rein and a decent back end so I think he could mature into a useful all rounder. Will get photos if I go on second viewing.

ImmyS

Visit site
Having had a D whom I adored and then and ID crossed with something I think I'd love this sort of cross. I'll be following with interest. I'm a bit too big for all but the biggest Ds these days.

This ones only 15.1hh on his tippy toes but might have an inch or two. I'm 5ft 9 and I didn't look or feel big on him

Annagain

Visit site
This ones only 15.1hh on his tippy toes but might have an inch or two. I'm 5ft 9 and I didn't look or feel big on him

I'm 5'7" but a stone or two heavier than I should be (which I'm working on!) About 15.3 would be perfect for me.

ImmyS

Visit site
Buying him hopefully subject to vetting. Just need to book vetting, which is proving tricky!