Irish Draughts as happy hackers?

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Well Jojo it turns out you were right!!

I'd left it with the owners to tell me when they were free for a viewing this weekend but also mentioned that I would like to speak to the original owners as current owners have not had him that long. I didn't hear anything so text them only to be told that the horse has gone to someone else.

Feeling slightly miffed as I had been told that I could have first refusal I did some hunting online and came across the advert that current owners bought him from. Funny how they didn't mention to me the fact that he has shivers isn't it???!!!!

I suspect they don't mention it to his new home either! Just makes me mad that people aren't up front about things and at the end of the day it is the horse that will suffer as he is potentially passed on again and again!!

Think I'm going to give up on my horse hunt as I have had so many things go wrong that I'm beginning to think it isn't meant to be :(

WindyStacks

Visit site
Don't give up, just a case of back to the drawing board. I'd imagine quite a few will hit the market in the new year when finances are closely looked at.

Fwiw, I'm a larger lady who happy hacks a grade a ISH. Yesterday we saw an otter, he's safe on the beach and I've ridden him in force 7 winds. I wouldn't say "novice ride", but sensible.

Biggest hacking drawback of this type is friends horses not picking up the pace in walk. :)

leggs

Visit site
I've got rather a lot of Irish Draughts - and all the backed ones have been super about hacking - literally from Day 1. The only RID I ever had who wasn't GREAT on hacking was my first - bought at 8 - and he was the spookiest old thing! And stayed spooky!

Janet, can you clear your inbox :) i've sent you a message as i'm looking for an ID

JoJo_

Visit site
Awww am sorry to hear this. I had alarm bells ringing when I read your original post that it may not be all it seemed.

My last two horses (both bought as 7yos) were genuine sales, one because the daughter was going to uni and the other because the owner thought he wouldnt go far enough in dressage (she wanted a flashy warmblood). So there are genuine ones out there but you may have to look for something a bit older, which might be a good thing as you could find a sensible safe horse in his early teens for a reasonable price.

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thanks again.

Think I'm going to wait a month or two as lets face it who wants to take on another horse a we go into winter!! I'm sure the right horse is out there but maybe i need it to find me rather than endlessly searching for it!!