Irish eventing lines?

druid

Visit site
Ok for you eventers out there...what Irish lines stand out for you and why? Scope, temperament, trainabilty, etc.?

Also...are there any Irish SJing lines you'd consider as an otucross to a solid eventing mare?

BBs

Visit site
Really liking the Cavalier Two for Joy line atm!

Know a few ppl who have horses from this sire, they are proving very trainable and scopey.

I went to see one at the weekend, he was lovely, very very green on the flat but bold in his outlook - however, they are going for silly prices atm.

But the line are producing good SJers or Eventers - they can be a bit sharp but willing.

Also liking the Diamond lines also proving very good for eventing.

SillyMare

Visit site
Do you mean native Irish lines? A lot of the good ISH sires are actually imported TBs.

India's ID side was Legaun Prince and she is quite lightweight for a half-bred - I'm told his line tend to be a bit finer with less of the 'Irish' head than some of the other lines.

The Diamond lines are often very talented but can be ugly (sorry, I'm such a snob).

lillie07

Visit site
Master Imp but im biased!!
laugh.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
I had a very pretty horse from the diamond line on loan a few years back. He was by the conqueror so grandsire flagmount boy? Although His front legs came out of the same socket he had a heart of gold such a shame the girl who owned him did how do i say it - ruined him.
Picture919.jpg

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I have an ISH by Diamond Clover which has both King of Diamond and Clover Hill lines. Nice temp, scopey and well put together although a bit thick! This horse also sired Tankers Town which is now producing the goods at top level.

DanielleP

Visit site
ive got a king of diamonds line mare was a show jumper, was schooled for 2 months then went affiliated eventing, double clear. They are a bit loopy though, very brave but nutters!

Jemayni

Visit site
I always like the clover hill horses, we also have a colourfield horse on our yard, I'd never met another horse by him but I love his temperment, he is really calm and trainable.

druid

Visit site
By "irish" yes I mean genuinely natively Irish but any stallion/line recognised by the IHB as an approved foreign/imported stallion won't be sniffed at either!

Soooo....

Diamond lines (King of Diamonds), Clover Hill, Master Imp, Cavalier Two for Joy (don't like him sorry!), Tankers Town and Flagmount are your choices?

Any other takers?

And another Q...

Which ENGLISH (truly English bred, though parents can be foreign if bred horse in england..) stallion woudl you choose as your top eventing sire?

Hattikins

Visit site
I think Cruising is a pretty good line, crossed with a tb or something finer boned. seem to be very bold and brave with flowing paces and "sparkle" although they are known to sometimes have a bit of a dodgey temperament although i know plenty that are charming!!!!!!
wink.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of 'Felice De Champeix' or know anything about him??? He's Irish, i think a Grade A SJer and i think an Anglo Arab.. that's all i know.
If able to post a pic would be even better!!!!
grin.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Step Together is a really nice TB sire (IHB approved) who throws a lot of v classy eventers, Don't Step Back, Wee Hot Toddy, LA Temple Bar were all from his line.

Fiona

Equibeau

Visit site
My boy is by an IHB approved stallion standing in Ireland called Freddie's Star. Bred to event, though I do dressage as he is a bit of a mover! Does anyone know this stallion?

Skhosu

Visit site
Personally wouldn't breed a cruising, every one I've seen has bucked and been a bit of a pain at the vets etc.
However, they can damn well jump!
Cavalier Two for Joy and is it Clover Echo seem to be popular.

KatB

Visit site
Yes I've knowna couple of cruising youngsters, one was very sweet but VERY stubborn could jump beautifully though. the other was manic, and turned itself inside out to remove my old boss when he first got on it! Once relaxed though was lovely to watch working, but still had that stubborn streak that would put me off.

Hattikins

Visit site
its funny you should say that they buck as my cruising mare has a fantastic buck in her -although it is totally non malicious and is only in use when extremely fresh or over exuberant (as 5yearolds are!!) and never as a "get off me" vice.

and yes she has the stubborn streak too and one hell of a jump BUT i think the stubborn streak is slowly beginning to subside as she loves to please and cant help but enjoy her job - being stubborn just gets in the way of her enjoyment -but its early stages we will see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smirk.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Our bloodline started off with a Cruising connection and they have all without exception proved bold jumpers. unfortunately they also don't tolerate muppet riders either as they do sparkle a bit! Never had problems with any bucking, if anything they buck less than the others.
We have now tried to breed down that Cruising part and replace it with warmblood, so our horses are now mostly TB, part warmblood and a tiny bit of ID.
C's new mare is by Baron de Chantepie, who seems to have lots of competing horses about. We now have three part Selle Francais and I do like them.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My lad is by Cruising out of Breffni Clover (by Cloverhill).
He is bold, has a fantastic jump with a kind of 'whatever' attitude. Unfortunately he was originally trained as a pure SJ (full brother to Cruisehill, Irish Int.Puissance horse) and was obviously 'actively' discouraged from putting a foot in water.
Not a good trait for an eventer. Nice movement though and very laid back.

SillyMare

Visit site
Lexi's mum was by Balinvella. Her dad is Jackson's Drift who is not so well known but I believe has produced some show horses. She is extremely athletic, clever with her feet and bold. She is only 5 so early days but we have high hopes for her.

India is by Rich Rebel who is producing a lot of nice young stock at the moment. She is very honest, careful and straight and tries her heart out.

Merry is racing bred but came from Ireland - by Grand Plaisir - I don't know anything about his stock.

dieseldog

Visit site
We've had a few irish horses.

Chestnut Mare by I'm a Star (I think) same as Mary Kings Olympic Horse. Went straight in at Novice and after it got its 3 clears did Intermediate. But was also the most miserable hormonal nappy cow ever.

Chestnut Gelding by Gifted, super talented but with attitude to match, only 15.3 and would jump 1.40s all day, but you couldn't hack him or do anything else unless it was SJ.

Bay Mare by Ballysimon - bit of a bitch again and not that good

So from my experience of Irish horses I wouldn't touch em with a barge pole. But out of the 3 I would go for I'm a Star

cguest

New User
Visit site
My horse is by the Conqueror and have kept a look out for others but yours is first I've heard of! Obviously I'm biased but his conformation is good and fantastic jump so personally would definitely be interested in those lines - What was the dam?