Irish FB purchase before and after... and some advice!

Michen

Visit site
A nice before and after photo of the manky irish pony that I bought after loosing my boy very suddenly for anyone interested (three months apart). “Boggle” finally looks fairly civilised! He’s been relatively straight forward (bar his travelling issue) though he is a rather hot headed and reactive little thing and not for the faint hearted (which I am) so I have to swallow my fears quite a bit! Certainly a horse that needs to be kept busy in mind and body but he’s also very genuine and I think will be quite talented if he can contain his jolly nature.

This was him at his first show, (and its worse here than at home as he was tense, but this is the best of a bad bunch of awful trot photos) as you can see he doesn’t use that backend very well and there is a lot of work to be done there, his canter is huge and expressive but the trot is really, really poor. He is still physically weak behind so I’m not expecting miracles, but does anyone have any tips for improving this trot and to get him tracking up properly? He already does lots of hill work and hacking. I’ve bought some potties to start some raised pole work. Is this better done in walk or trot? Any particular exercises?

I'm doing loads of transitions but it just seems to have improved a certain amount and not really getting any better.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I’ve been a bit of a miserable cow about him lately and tentatively put him up for sale but I’ve decided to keep him for now so I really want to work on getting him strong and the best he can be.

I have permission from the photographer to use them on here :)

And just because he's pretty!

Beth206

Visit site
Wow, he looks like a different horse - you have done a great job.
I can't be of much help because I am having similar issues with my mare in terms of getting her to work with more impulsion from behind, she is young and still a little croup high so I am hoping she will grow out of it! I do find 'Your Horse' magazines really helpful, they have some great tips to encourage your horse to engage their hind. One I like doing with my mare is halt transitions - trot to halt - halt to work and then advance to canter to halt - halt to canter. I would love to try cavaletti too but she is too clumsy whilst she is still growing and I imagine we would just bunny hop over them! Will be following this post with lots of interest. Good luck

be positive

Visit site
What a transformation, he looks so different and is a real credit to you.

I guess his trot is still in two parts, front end followed by back end rather than the hind leg propelling him forward, as he is tense and inclined to rush I would start off doing raised poles in walk, they can be randomly set around the school, in a line or on a circle and aim to get him really focused on them, looking and then taking slow clear steps over them using every part of himself before moving on to do them in trot, if he starts to rush it will have no benefit so slow down or come back to walk if he starts to tense and speed up.

The aim is to get the steps clearer so he takes longer, in time, with every one, lifts his back, loosens up and then gradually he should begin to push through from behind and tracking up will be possible, at the moment he is just too tight and doesn't have to use his whole body correctly or every part of his legs in order to function, you need to work on enabling it to be easier for him to do so, it will come as his walk and canter show he can move well, it is just more difficult to come through in trot because they have to remain straighter than they do in canter where they bend slightly through their length.

scats

Visit site
What a transformation!!! Well done!

If you have to work with a weaker pace, I'd rather it be trot than walk or canter. You've got more play with a trot than a walk or canter. That is a seriously smart little horse though!

Char0901

Visit site
He looks amazing! Well done.

Pole work is helping my youngster. We put poles on a circle, all evenly fanned out so the parts closest to the middle are shorter strides.
We didn't pace these poles out, the point is to go around the circle until you find the right striding. It helps with mine because he's quite sensitive and doesn't want to stand on the poles so he really has to think about where his legs are. It also encouraged him to work over his back more as he was literally looking at the poles on the floor.
This exercise can also be done on the lunge with you stood in the middle of the fan.

Flicker

Visit site
What a transformation! I have followed some of your threads, Michen, and I really admire all your hard work and tenacity, especially in the face of some seriously heartbreaking stuff. You should be very proud.

In terms of exercises to help horses develop the back end, my trainer works with circles of varying sizes and alternating bends. A smaller circle with a slight outside flexion will encourage your horse to step under with the hind leg, which will engage it more. You can then reward by changing to a slight inside flexion, giving with the outside hand and letting the circle enlarge. This will encourage the horse to stretch out and down. Just build this exercise up gradually because they do find it hard at first.

Vary your paces, concentrating more on the quality of the downward transition, which requires greater engagement from behind. And very the speed within the gait, asking for a slower walk or trot, then letting him stretch out after a few good strides.

I'm interested that you say he's a bit hot and speedy. This may well be his way of coping with his weakness, and you should find a real improvement as he strengthens. I am riding a horse currently who is seriously weak behind and used to tank off all over the place. My trainer and I are using lateral work to increase core strength and the quality of his trot work AND his mental outlook have both improved.

More pics please as he progresses :)

Frumpoon

Visit site
He's not 'quite' tracking up in that left hand side, appreciate this is a weak young horse but is that possibly worthy of an investigation?

Michen

Visit site
He's not 'quite' tracking up in that left hand side, appreciate this is a weak young horse but is that possibly worthy of an investigation?

He doesn't track up on the right either lol! If anything his right side is his weaker side as he had seedy toe/gas pockets which has been rumbling for ages and had to have a hoof resection, hole is still growing out. He's also been assessed by vet fairly regularly because of the resection and likewise physio so at this point I'm not too concerned :)

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
Omg! If you had posted this as two different horses, i would have believed you. SO different!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Ok fair dos, that's the best I have to offer

He's a little smasher

The horses I've had with a weak trot have ended up being diagnosed with a prob behind but if his canter is good then perhaps not

Michen

Visit site
Thanks! He's very sweet.

I'm not ruling it out but he's done so little schooling (probably been in the school about 15 times in 3 months I think for the moment I'm not too concerned. He does/can go like this at home which is fairly acceptable for what he is currently, but it doesn't come naturally to him!

When he arrived he could barely even trot so he's definitely improved, I'm just struggling to improve it further but I can't say I've put as much effort into it yet as I should have :p

Ok fair dos, that's the best I have to offer

He's a little smasher

The horses I've had with a weak trot have ended up being diagnosed with a prob behind but if his canter is good then perhaps not

Michen

Visit site
Thank you A I have been meaning to email you and catch up.

Super helpful info, I will stick to walk for the mean time and get cracking with him now. G xx

What a transformation, he looks so different and is a real credit to you.

I guess his trot is still in two parts, front end followed by back end rather than the hind leg propelling him forward, as he is tense and inclined to rush I would start off doing raised poles in walk, they can be randomly set around the school, in a line or on a circle and aim to get him really focused on them, looking and then taking slow clear steps over them using every part of himself before moving on to do them in trot, if he starts to rush it will have no benefit so slow down or come back to walk if he starts to tense and speed up.

The aim is to get the steps clearer so he takes longer, in time, with every one, lifts his back, loosens up and then gradually he should begin to push through from behind and tracking up will be possible, at the moment he is just too tight and doesn't have to use his whole body correctly or every part of his legs in order to function, you need to work on enabling it to be easier for him to do so, it will come as his walk and canter show he can move well, it is just more difficult to come through in trot because they have to remain straighter than they do in canter where they bend slightly through their length.

Michen

Visit site
Loving the muscle development.

We are getting there!

Wow, he looks like a different horse - you have done a great job.
I can't be of much help because I am having similar issues with my mare in terms of getting her to work with more impulsion from behind, she is young and still a little croup high so I am hoping she will grow out of it! I do find 'Your Horse' magazines really helpful, they have some great tips to encourage your horse to engage their hind. One I like doing with my mare is halt transitions - trot to halt - halt to work and then advance to canter to halt - halt to canter. I would love to try cavaletti too but she is too clumsy whilst she is still growing and I imagine we would just bunny hop over them! Will be following this post with lots of interest. Good luck

Thank you! I am so useless at schooling I find it really hard to make myself do it so need to get cracking with some exercises. Good luck with your mare!

Gosh you wouldn't think it was the same horse ! Well done - he's lovely :)

Thanks, he was a bit of a pathetic looking thing on arrival!

Blimey he's a bit easy on the eye isnt he :)

He is very pretty and certainly knows it :p

What a transformation!!! Well done!

If you have to work with a weaker pace, I'd rather it be trot than walk or canter. You've got more play with a trot than a walk or canter. That is a seriously smart little horse though!

Thank you, he puts so much effort into his canter- really covers the ground.

He looks amazing! Well done.

Pole work is helping my youngster. We put poles on a circle, all evenly fanned out so the parts closest to the middle are shorter strides.
We didn't pace these poles out, the point is to go around the circle until you find the right striding. It helps with mine because he's quite sensitive and doesn't want to stand on the poles so he really has to think about where his legs are. It also encouraged him to work over his back more as he was literally looking at the poles on the floor.
This exercise can also be done on the lunge with you stood in the middle of the fan.

I will try this, thanks!

What a transformation! I have followed some of your threads, Michen, and I really admire all your hard work and tenacity, especially in the face of some seriously heartbreaking stuff. You should be very proud.

In terms of exercises to help horses develop the back end, my trainer works with circles of varying sizes and alternating bends. A smaller circle with a slight outside flexion will encourage your horse to step under with the hind leg, which will engage it more. You can then reward by changing to a slight inside flexion, giving with the outside hand and letting the circle enlarge. This will encourage the horse to stretch out and down. Just build this exercise up gradually because they do find it hard at first.

Vary your paces, concentrating more on the quality of the downward transition, which requires greater engagement from behind. And very the speed within the gait, asking for a slower walk or trot, then letting him stretch out after a few good strides.

I'm interested that you say he's a bit hot and speedy. This may well be his way of coping with his weakness, and you should find a real improvement as he strengthens. I am riding a horse currently who is seriously weak behind and used to tank off all over the place. My trainer and I are using lateral work to increase core strength and the quality of his trot work AND his mental outlook have both improved.

More pics please as he progresses :)

That's very kind thanks, I can't say I have been totally determined, he's been for sale a few times but I feel very optimistic after he behaved so well at his first show which was just what we both needed I think. I agree re him being speedy and weak, he does settle in the school fairly quickly though he is a very bouncy hack!
Looks like a different horse!! You should be very proud, he's lovely :D

Omg! If you had posted this as two different horses, i would have believed you. SO different!

I wouldn't either when you look at the pics side by side!

sky1000

Visit site
Wow that is some transformation. I hope you are very proud. I have read other threads of yours and it's about time your luck turned. I don't mean to suggest that this horse's improvement is luck; you obviously have a great eye and you're doing a great job.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Patience!!!

He has come a long long way in a very short time and looks stunning. You will get there, I have no doubt of that.

Hard to believe the difference!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think that shows what time and a whole heap of long reining can do as much as anything :D well done boggle :)

Michen

Visit site
Wowser! What a transformation! He is stunning. You should be very proud. Well done.

Thank you xx

Wow that is some transformation. I hope you are very proud. I have read other threads of yours and it's about time your luck turned. I don't mean to suggest that this horse's improvement is luck; you obviously have a great eye and you're doing a great job.

I really hope it has! Thanks xx
Patience!!!

He has come a long long way in a very short time and looks stunning. You will get there, I have no doubt of that.

Hard to believe the difference!

I'm so bad at patience but I'm learning! Thanks. X

He's a beaut what breed and height is he?

He is a 15hh Connemara. Although the judge said "what a lovely warmblood" which pretty much sums up why I am not a fan of showing haha!

catroo

Visit site
He's come a long way already and the picture working at home is much improved to the one competing.

Time and going out and about more so he is more relaxed. You've done a good job already so just more of the same.

I've got a dozen potties I use for raised poles, gets a few looks when I take them out to the schooling paddock! I'm using them with a pony to help build up core strength prior to backing, long reigning at walk initially with several raised poles spread about. Then progressed to four/five on a turn which I also lunge over, rhythm and balance is the most important. No rushing allowed