Irish horses - how much do they grow?

Birker2020

Visit site
Probably another 'how long is a piece of string?' question but how much do you reckon a 16.2hh five year old Irish horse grow, i.e. tall?

Seen a nice one but not sure as I'm looking for at least 17hh but willing to compromise until it grows. TIA

Any PM help welcome but going home in 15 mins!

Nasicus

Visit site
Probably another 'how long is a piece of string?' question but how much do you reckon a 16.2hh five year old Irish horse grow, i.e. tall?

Seen a nice one but not sure as I'm looking for at least 17hh but willing to compromise until it grows. TIA

Any PM help welcome but going home in 15 mins!
Irish what? Sports Horse? Draft? Cob? Connemara?!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Stop worrying about 2 inches at the wither B, if he's big enough to carry you he's big enough to carry you.

It's what he does with it that counts, not how big it is, didn't anyone ever tell you ??

I own a little guy who might only make 15.2 but he's always going to be capable of carrying a big adult weight wise.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My 5yr old draft type went from 16hh to pushing 16.2hh and from gawky to brick outhouse solid at the same time, so seems bigger than she is height wise.

Leandy

Visit site
Depends how it is bred, how mature it looks now etc etc. Like all 5 year olds it will certainly fill out but personally I would never assume a 5 year old would put on any height. It might but it might not. It is unlikely to be a significant amount of height ie more than say 1/2 inch if it is looking reasonably mature now. "Irish" could mean a multitude of types and breeds although if it was anything specific I'd expect the advert to say.

Birker2020

Visit site
Is there much difference between 16.2hh and 17hh if the horse is solid build anyway?

Especially if you like it.
Everyone says that but it's weird as i had a 16.3hh and compared to my 17.1hh he felt very much smaller, the 17.1hh was a WB XTB and the 16.3hh a ISH, so yes i could defintely tell the difference. Mikki felt soooo small but i don't know if he got bigger as i lost him at the age of 6.

16.2hh when I'm 5ft 10 seems just a tad too small.

Dunno maybe I'm overthinking things as usual. I'm getting a little stressed at this horse hunting game.

I have noticed the influx of new horses on Horsequest suddenly seem sensibly priced so maybe things will calm down price wise.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Depends how it is bred, how mature it looks now etc etc. Like all 5 year olds it will certainly fill out but personally I would never assume a 5 year old would put on any height. It might but it might not. It is unlikely to be a significant amount of height ie more than say 1/2 inch if it is looking reasonably mature now. "Irish" could mean a multitude of types and breeds although if it was anything specific I'd expect the advert to say.
It was this one, he looks really nice, I'm sure my friend said as a rule Irish horses will grow normally at least 2 maybe 3 inches.http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/258656 but please no critique of said horse as not fair.

Birker2020

Visit site
Bernster you are probably right. I've always just bought exactly what i wanted before so never had to worry too much. When i was 14 and at the riding school helping out in return for the odd lesson i always wanted to ride the 16.3/17hh horses, especially the naughtier ones. I guess i just feel more comfortable on that type.

Lovely horse by the way and you have exactly the same type of stables as us!

Last edited:

spacefaer

Visit site
A lot of"Irish" horses are part or mostly warmblood. They'll mature just as any 5 yr old does - maybe up an inch but mostly maturing by adding muscle and substance.
An Irish draught generally doesn't finish til they're around 8. I had a 5 yr old at 16.3 who finished at 17.3 aged 8.

It also depends how well they've been produced, up until that point.

My current baby draught has spent 98% of his life in a field, with only hay . He was nearly 17.2 when we bought him 4 months ago. With work and feed, not only has he grown an inch, he's now croup high ?? he's 5.

Birker2020

Visit site
He doesn't look the type that is going to ride small to me :)
Its a nightmare. I'm actually hoping to see a really nice 5yr old 17hh on Saturday if he's not sold by then hence some peoples comments. They know I'm rather keen on that one , don't you guys lol?

Birker2020

Visit site
A lot of"Irish" horses are part or mostly warmblood. They'll mature just as any 5 yr old does - maybe up an inch but mostly maturing by adding muscle and substance.
An Irish draught generally doesn't finish til they're around 8. I had a 5 yr old at 16.3 who finished at 17.3 aged 8.

It also depends how well they've been produced, up until that point.

My current baby draught has spent 98% of his life in a field, with only hay . He was nearly 17.2 when we bought him 4 months ago. With work and feed, not only has he grown an inch, he's now croup high ?? he's 5.
I didn't know about the WB element. The thought of a 17hh ending up at 18hh scares me though.

Its not just the cost of a new wardrobe, trailer and towing vehicle its the feed, hay, bedding and medication that all costs more too! And of course it's further to fall off :D

Birker2020

Visit site
The ones that you do want to grow, don't grow.

The ones that you don't want to grow, do grow.

'Tis the law of s0d as experienced by me :rolleyes:.
I shall pray that if i am lucky enough to get a sniff at this horse on Saturday that it doesn't gain more than an inch.

I know what you mean though. Wanting what you can have is always more appealing though!

Annagain

Visit site
These two photos shoe Charlie at 6 and 7, exactly a year apart (I plan on taking the same photo every August 1st to mark our anniversary. It's not a great photo but it shows what I want to compare). If you look at the lines in the breeze blocks behind his wither you can see how much he's grown. He's not the easiest to get a stick on but he was advertised as 16.1 (I suspect he was slightly bigger but not much) and I think he's easily pushing 17 now.

TR9HZyt.jpg

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
It’s depends on what breed the horse is if he/ she has a lot of Irish draft then it could get a little bigger maybe a inch or so . If he/ she is not than Irish draft then they will stop at 4 or 5

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It’s depends on what breed the horse is if he/ she has a lot of Irish draft then it could get a little bigger maybe a inch or so . If he/ she is not than Irish draft then they will stop at 4 or 5

I have a registered standardbred crossed with an Appaloosa and he is still growing at 6 and doesn't look like he's stopping quite yet.

I had an unregistered cob who looked clydesdale cross who grew 2 inches between 5 and 8, (3 between 4 and 8) I measured him regularly.

only_me

Visit site
My ISH (IDxTB) was 173cm at 4 and stayed the same height!
He did fill out his frame and had a high wither to start off with though. 6”6 rugs until age 10 when he started needing 6”9 in some brands!

suspect his height staying the same is a rarity though lol

PoniesRock

Visit site
I bought a 5yr old bog pony - apparently half new forest pony. Potentially half cow ?‍♀️ She’s now 8 and has out grown her turnout rug and has considerably bulked out.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've only ever had one grow upwards after 5 and she went up an inch at her wither. That was more through correct work than actual growth though. It would be complete madness to buy a 5yr old and expect it to grow. It might, but it also might not. Not a risk you want to take if its important to you.