Irish horses - how much do they grow?

Sheep

Visit site
He looks really substantial so I suspect the extra 2 inches (or lack of) won’t really matter. Our boy is 17hh; he is ridden by my OH who is 6ft, and takes up his leg very well.

Reactions: JJS

rextherobber

Visit site
I have a registered standardbred crossed with an Appaloosa and he is still growing at 6 and doesn't look like he's stopping quite yet.

I had an unregistered cob who looked clydesdale cross who grew 2 inches between 5 and 8, (3 between 4 and 8) I measured him regularly.
Agree, I have an IDx TB who grew 4 inches between the ages of 7 and 10. Now only growing outwards, the saddle has been changed twice in 18 months ( horse now 12)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I actually think all horses continue to grow until. about 8, I don't think Irish horses are special. Just that the IDs are big so the growth is noticed more perhaps, and they fill out so much too.

But then they are all different of course.

I really like the horse through the link. He's not gawky gawky though so not sure if he would grow all that obviously.

Mynstrel

Visit site
Our 5yo ISH was bought at 16hh, at 12 he's now a good 16.2 /16.3, he's bulked out as well. When we bought him he was all legs and angles but now he's a real unit. Lovely chap though, you'd have to go a long way for a better nature.

PSD

Visit site
He looks a really stocky type, I wouldn’t worry about a couple of inches. I think I’m time he will fill out and take your leg up well.

Reactions: JJS

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
It isn't so much the size but how they feel when you ride them. My friend looked after two hunters. One a 16.3 TB with very high withers and very deep through the chest the other a 17hh Cleveland x TB, much chunkier. The TB rode much bigger than the heavier horse and took up the leg better too. My friend and I are both only 5' 2" with similar length leg. She looked absolutely fine on the C x TB and tiny on the smaller TB.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I bought H in the December of his fifth year he was very unfurnished he was 16.2 I would say he’s 17 hands how he grew a lot and changed shape completely .
Sky was seven and 16.3 he is now 17 (he might be bigger but I refuse to accept this) with him I would have said a lot of the change is posture .
I once bought a three year old warmblood it was 15.1 it grew to 17.1 at eight , with him I think it was because he had been ill as a yearling .

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
It isn't so much the size but how they feel when you ride them.

Only on a horsey forum! Totally agree though. Archie and Monty were 16.3 and 17hh respectively. If I ever got off Monty and straight onto Archie, I felt like I was riding a pony. The difference wasn't so noticeable going the other way for some reason. Charlie has grown about 2" in the last year. I don't notice any difference. Before Arch I had a 14.1 Sec D and they didn't feel that different when I was on board - only when I was getting on/off! Eb rode a lot bigger than he was and Arch a fair bit smaller.

Leandy

Visit site
He doesn't look immature and looks level and fairly compact. I'd guess he will not grow up but will continue to fill out. The first step is to go and see how big he actually is in fact and how big he rides and whether it suits you and then go from there. Something advertised at 16.2 could easily be anywhere from 16 - 17 hands anyway. People are bad at estimating height and often have no idea how to measure accurately even if they want to. Go and see but consider the horse in front of you. I really would not bank on it growing if the horse in front of you is too small.

Birker2020

Visit site
I have the opposite problem with the horse I am viewing on Saturday, he is just perfect but for the fact he is a full ID and 17hh and 5. I really don't want him any higher than 17.1hh but I'm sure he will grow more than that.

Its a nightmare when you already have a large wardrobe of 6ft 9" horse rugs and a trailer that can only feasibly carry up to 17.1hh.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The trailer is designed for 16.2hh max, if its important that the horse will fit in, you need to try them in it before you part with any cash. Some might be ok some absolutely wont be. Or while the roof is being repaired, see if you can have it lifted. Its a biggish job, but if you are having welding and things done then now would be the time to do it

Birker2020

Visit site
The trailer is designed for 16.2hh max, if its important that the horse will fit in, you need to try them in it before you part with any cash. Some might be ok some absolutely wont be. Or while the roof is being repaired, see if you can have it lifted. Its a biggish job, but if you are having welding and things done then now would be the time to do it
Being as we don't know the model of the trailer as it doesn't fit with any of the specs for any of the Rice Richardson trailers (and may be a Bayhill) we don't know it is only meant for 2 x 16.2hh horses.

Trouble is I'm not travelling 250 miles with a trailer to a viewing! And I wouldn't expect a five year old horse to go straight in a strange trailer with a strange person it barely knows anyway.

And as the last five fitted in and none were under 16.3hh I don't see it as a problem, its one partition set 3/4 x 1/4 and the breast bar has been brought forward, the height of the trailer is 7ft 2" internally. I'm not going to get too hung up about fitting a horse in as the others have always managed fine. It's not like I go far either.

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
IME most people over estimate the height of their horse so the 17hh Irish horse may not actually be that tall.

The horse in the advert you posted looks to be a good build for taking up the leg so I wouldn't rule him out. I am 5'8" and happily rode a 14.2 Dales pony and never felt big on him as he took up my leg so well.

One of my current horses is 17.2 (pushing 17.3 but I ignore that fact). I bred him and he was supposed to be about 16.2 but just kept on growing. He doesn't ride big and it is still a surprise when I get off him that the ground is so far away. He is pretty compact and takes a 6'9" rug so your rugs may still have their uses. He used to travel in my friend's lorry which only had 7'3" headroom - his ears was touching the roof but it wasn't a problem although our new lorry has 8' head height.

PSD

Visit site
IME most people over estimate the height of their horse so the 17hh Irish horse may not actually be that tall.

The horse in the advert you posted looks to be a good build for taking up the leg so I wouldn't rule him out. I am 5'8" and happily rode a 14.2 Dales pony and never felt big on him as he took up my leg so well.

One of my current horses is 17.2 (pushing 17.3 but I ignore that fact). I bred him and he was supposed to be about 16.2 but just kept on growing. He doesn't ride big and it is still a surprise when I get off him that the ground is so far away. He is pretty compact and takes a 6'9" rug so your rugs may still have their uses. He used to travel in my friend's lorry which only had 7'3" headroom - his ears was touching the roof but it wasn't a problem although our new lorry has 8' head height.

I always take an inch or so off in my head for any horses advertised. People rest do over estimate their own, I thought my fell was about 13.2hh - measured her and she was 12.2hh!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have the opposite problem with the horse I am viewing on Saturday, he is just perfect but for the fact he is a full ID and 17hh and 5. I really don't want him any higher than 17.1hh but I'm sure he will grow more than that.

Its a nightmare when you already have a large wardrobe of 6ft 9" horse rugs and a trailer that can only feasibly carry up to 17.1hh.

17hh-17.1 is very specific especially given the withers aren't a fixed point and lots don't actually measure the horses they are selling.

Birker2020

Visit site
I always take an inch or so off in my head for any horses advertised. People rest do over estimate their own, I thought my fell was about 13.2hh - measured her and she was 12.2hh!
I'd be happy with that, then there is room for him to grow.
I may not even get to view him but if I do I really think the 7 hour round trip will be worthwhile. Eeek!
I am getting excited again. I keep veering between doubt and excitement. Its not even the thought of riding again, its just the thought of having something to love and build a partnership with that keeps me going.

Frumpoon

Visit site
My blue passport ISH was 16.3 at 4 when he went through Goresbridge and 17.2 when i bought him at 9

I suspect the auction house under estimated him slightly

He was by a selle francais stallion out of an irish mare - perhaps a tb/id mix erring on the tb side - but still on an irish passport

Birker2020

Visit site
@Birker2020 have you checked out your vendor on any of the Dodgy Dealer FB pages? Are they private or a dealer? It's a long way to drive for a dodge

(I haven't seen the ad so I don't know)
Thanks for that, I never thought of that - he's based at a big Sports Horse centre but that's not to say that they aren't dodgy dealers but we aren't going now (to the 17hh Chestnut). Someone has put a deposit on him. Never mind.
We are going away on holiday in less than 3 weeks now so we are going to wait until after we come back. So excitement over...

I think I need to think about what type of horse I want. I think an Irish Sports horse is more for me rather than an Irish Draft, particuarly as they have the potential to gain so much height before the age of 8. Irish Sports are much lighter, I think I was a bit confused about what I actually prefer.

I really want a Dutch WB again but with the Brexit argy bargy I think that they will be few and far between now.

http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/256258 this ISH is super smart
http://www.horsequest.co.uk/advertisment/259295 this WB is in Scotland (typical)

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
You should be able to get a Dutch WB in the UK without too much of a problem. My mare (who was my horse of a lifetime) was a Dutch WB and I bred three foals from her - 2 were by a Dutch WB stallion and the other by a Hannoverian stallion. All three had UK Sports Horse Breeding passports but the two by the Dutch stallion were Dutch WB except for the fact they weren't born in Holland (so OK not technically Dutch WB but you hopefully can see what I mean).

Plenty of foals are born in the UK using imported semen from Dutch stallions so don't give up on your hunt for a Dutch WB

Birker2020

Visit site
and with a name like Wonky... Hes also low to mid 5 figures which is double your budget unless you have upped it?
I didn't say I was going to view either, I was just trying to show what I was looking for by giving examples.
I was saying that I think I need to be looking at Dutch WB or Irish Sports horses and not a heavier type like an Irish Draft horse but thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited:

Frumpoon

Visit site
The problem I've got is that I do know of quality breeders and dealers closer to you that will have the sort of thing you are looking for

But I can't in all good conscience recommend them to you because I think your towing setup is dangerous and I can't imagine a big young horse being forced into an undersized death trap on a regular basis

I'm sure you are a good person at heart and would be a good home but you are so wilfully ignorant on this and other welfare and management issues that I won't knowingly put an animal in discomfort or danger with you

I'm Dun

Visit site
I didn't say I was going to view either, I was just trying to show what I was looking for by giving examples.
I was saying that I think I need to be looking at Dutch WB or Irish Sports horses and not a heavier type like an Irish Draft horse but thanks for your help anyway.

When you put typical after the comment it looked like you wanted to view but couldnt due to distance. There are similar horses close to you at that price, so if you had increased your budget then we could have suggested some.

Is it worth going to try something like the ID and having a sit? I've gone from a little pony sized turbo cob to a big ex racer and love it. Sometimes you dont know until you try something. It makes the weight issue a non issue as well. I dont worry on the big TB but continually worried on the little cob