Irish horses - how much do they grow?

Birker2020

Visit site
W
Is it worth going to try something like the ID and having a sit? I've gone from a little pony sized turbo cob to a big ex racer and love it.
No I won't waste peoples time. The one we went to see last week was a three hour drive or three and a half hours I can't remember which, both are painful. And we got there and were there 10 mins if that, didn't even both getting on it.

I am not a timewaster or joy rider, I hate the thought of wasting peoples time.
There is nothing I would like more than a ride on a horse at the moment. I miss it so much.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have the opposite problem with the horse I am viewing on Saturday, he is just perfect but for the fact he is a full ID and 17hh and 5. I really don't want him any higher than 17.1hh but I'm sure he will grow more than that.

Its a nightmare when you already have a large wardrobe of 6ft 9" horse rugs and a trailer that can only feasibly carry up to 17.1hh.

Unless he’s different to every ID I have owned I think he is likely to finish bigger.

Birker2020

Visit site
Unless he’s different to every ID I have owned I think he is likely to finish bigger.
Thank you. So do I. As it happens it doesn't matter now as he has been viewed this morning and a deposit put down.

Never mind, going to wait until after holiday, continue to try and lose the weight and get myself a nice warmblood or ISH and start going out competing again.

The money I will save on putting off getting a horse at the moment we can put towards the holiday.
All good things come to those that wait. I am so excited to have another horse and start all over again. :)

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
The problem I've got is that I do know of quality breeders and dealers closer to you that will have the sort of thing you are looking for

But I can't in all good conscience recommend them to you because I think your towing setup is dangerous and I can't imagine a big young horse being forced into an undersized death trap on a regular basis

I'm sure you are a good person at heart and would be a good home but you are so wilfully ignorant on this and other welfare and management issues that I won't knowingly put an animal in discomfort or danger with you

I’m utterly speechless at how deliberately nasty some people can be.

Widgeon

Visit site
I’m utterly speechless at how deliberately nasty some people can be.

I've got to agree with you there IHW, why go to the effort of writing all that out and posting on a public forum? Just keep your mouth shut and don't share the fact that you might have been able to help. Seems unecessarily unkind to me.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
The problem I've got is that I do know of quality breeders and dealers closer to you that will have the sort of thing you are looking for

But I can't in all good conscience recommend them to you because I think your towing setup is dangerous and I can't imagine a big young horse being forced into an undersized death trap on a regular basis

I'm sure you are a good person at heart and would be a good home but you are so wilfully ignorant on this and other welfare and management issues that I won't knowingly put an animal in discomfort or danger with you

That is just rude and horrible.

Why comment at all if you weren't going to recommend a breeder.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Unnecessary, completely unnecessary .

Birker2020

Visit site
I haven't stopped crying since I read this. I've been in the loo at work.

I'm afraid I am going to have to stick up for my Dad as he isnt here to defend himself and I will say my trailer was always very well looked after, serviced every year and painted every three or four. It always had new tyres and i and my late father always maintained it to a high standard and i have always been very proud of my dad and the incredible amount of hours he put in for me with that and the horses too.

I have always looked after my horses and their management has never been questionned by anyone that knows me. I did my very best to save my horse and spent thousands of pounds and always ensured she had the best care. When i could see that there was nothing that could be done for her i ended her pain. I only wish now i could join her and Dad who i hope is now looking after her.

I don't know what else to say other than i am really sad and disheartened by what has been written about me.

Widgeon

Visit site
Please don't cry OP, it was a cruel and unnecessary comment and as you can see lots of us think it was entirely uncalled for. At the end of the day no one seems to know exactly what your trailer is, and if you're satisfied that it's safe and fit for purpose that's the most you can do. None of us has actually seen it. Please don't let the comments of a stranger hurt you, you and your dad deserve better than that. Have a virtual hug. It's far too easy to say hurtful things online.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site

Totally unnecessary and uncalled for. Sometimes opinions are best left unsaid.

Lou27

Visit site

I haven’t been on here long enough to know the ins & outs but i do know that someone that says “Its not even the thought of riding again, its just the thought of having something to love and build a partnership with that keeps me going.“ is in no way deserving of such a nasty remark.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Put Frumpoon on UI and get on with your day. Absolutely not worth getting upset over or giving a second thought to.

That’s absolutely the right thing to do

I don’t want anybody to be upset but I do want animals to be safe, that’s more important

It’s got nothing to do with your dad and I know you miss him but the trailer could be painted in 24 carat gold but it will still be way too bladdy small. I do not know why this is so controversial or why you are being so dogged about it.

PSD

Visit site

I don’t want anybody to be upset but I do want animals to be safe, that’s more important

It’s got nothing to do with your dad and I know you miss him but the trailer could be painted in 24 carat gold but it will still be way too bladdy small. I do not know why this is so controversial or why you are being so dogged about it.

Why are you so rude? Seems like a personal attack to me…very strange.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Do go and be unkind somewhere else you have done enough here .

Abi90

Visit site
I appear to have missed the post where the exact size, dimensions, age, condition and service history of the trailer were given for it to be called an “undersized death trap”… pretty confused as how we got to that conclusion?

Anyway, she can always change the trailer, she won’t be the first person that has had to

Goldenstar

Visit site
I appear to have missed the post where the exact size, dimensions, age, condition and service history of the trailer were given for it to be called an “undersized death trap”… pretty confused as how we got to that conclusion?

Anyway, she can always change the trailer, she won’t be the first person that has had to

This is true .

I'm Dun

Visit site

Theres a post with that information on. The issue is the trailer IS too small and potentially too heavy to be towed safely. And OP wont change or amend it. Shes had lots of advice offered and disregards it. Its not my issue so I've offered advice and stayed out of it as OP is very reactive and there are clearly strong emotions tied up with the trailer. Frumpoon didnt say it in the right way, but she has pointed out something that is an issue

Frumpoon

Visit site

It’s detailed elsewhere

She refuses to change the trailer or the set up, REFUSES

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You find her a horse then

I'm not trying to. I'm also not telling her on a public forum that I could if I wanted to, but I won't, because even if that was true it would be unnecessarily cruel. Put sensitively, it is information that you could possibly have shared to beneficial effect by PM.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Why don’t you go and attempt to patronise someone else…it won’t stick with me

No I will stick with you because I don’t like unkind people .
You could have pointed that you felt the matching of the horse to a smaller than the largest available trailer was an illogical way to proceed when buying a young horse of this value you could done that in constructive post.
That might have influenced OP but no you chose to approach it the most ridiculous unkind fashion .
I have no idea what would prompt someone to give this poster a kicking about at this time except a streak of unkindness .