Irish horses - how much do they grow?

paddy555

Visit site
Theres a post with that information on. The issue is the trailer IS too small and potentially too heavy to be towed safely. And OP wont change or amend it. Shes had lots of advice offered and disregards it. Its not my issue so I've offered advice and stayed out of it as OP is very reactive and there are clearly strong emotions tied up with the trailer. Frumpoon didnt say it in the right way, but she has pointed out something that is an issue

I haven't commented before because of the risk of being called rude or obnoxious but totally agree with the above. This has been pointed out several times to OP both on this and the other thread. There are serious safety issues but they are going to be ignored if a 17 hand horse is put into this trailer.
I know this trailer, a Rice, very well. Every inch of it.. It was my first trailer. My back aches every time it remembers lifting the central partition. It is a VERY heavy trailer. Far from being light as OP seems to think. We towed a 450kg arab with a landrover. That was a safe set up. Towing a 17.2 horse who must weight 700kg with this trailer with a car is unsafe, in fact ludicrous. It is a lovely trailer, I would imagine the weight to be around 1000kg. With a horse up that is 1700kg plus tack, water bins etc. What is going to happen with the insurance if an accident happens, what happens if the police routinely stop and check? We were called into a weighbridge with our lorry as part of a routine police lorry check. They were stopping all horse transport, lorries and trailers. They, and the RSPCA went through everything with a fine tooth comb. Are the RSPCA going to find the height factor for the horse adequate.

OP commented about rust and the roof (on her other thread) They, as were many metal items of their time, rust buckets after a certain time. I doubt this will be a quick, cheap welding job. To do the job properly it will need the iron supports over the roof replacing and new metal sheeting. Bear in mind that with a 17hand horse his head is going to be very close to that metal roof. It is only going to take a slight accident and his head could go through a poor quality roof.
. Whilst I appreciate OP's father kept the trailer in very good condition mechanically I would suggest (although I know the suggestion will not be appreciated) that OP gets a full assessment on the bodywork and chassis to see what work is required and if it is going to be cost effective to repair. Replacing the roof is not going to be cheap.

I don't think Frumpoon expressed this very well but I do understand her frustration as this has been pointed out but OP doesn't want to hear it. I can see that she is concerned, quite rightly, the horse could get hurt.

Frumpoon

Visit site
No I will stick with you because I don’t like unkind people .
You could have pointed that you felt the matching of the horse to a smaller than the largest available trailer was an illogical way to proceed when buying a young horse of this value you could done that in constructive post.
That might have influenced OP but no you chose to approach it the most ridiculous unkind fashion .
I have no idea what would prompt someone to give this poster a kicking about at this time except a streak of unkindness .

But I have done

So have several others

She doesn’t agree so the only thing left to do is not send her horses

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I haven't commented before because of the risk of being called rude or obnoxious but totally agree with the above. This has been pointed out several times to OP both on this and the other thread. There are serious safety issues but they are going to be ignored if a 17 hand horse is put into this trailer.
I know this trailer, a Rice, very well. Every inch of it.. It was my first trailer. My back aches every time it remembers lifting the central partition. It is a VERY heavy trailer. Far from being light as OP seems to think. We towed a 450kg arab with a landrover. That was a safe set up. Towing a 17.2 horse who must weight 700kg with this trailer with a car is unsafe, in fact ludicrous. It is a lovely trailer, I would imagine the weight to be around 1000kg. With a horse up that is 1700kg plus tack, water bins etc. What is going to happen with the insurance if an accident happens, what happens if the police routinely stop and check? We were called into a weighbridge with our lorry as part of a routine police lorry check. They were stopping all horse transport, lorries and trailers. They, and the RSPCA went through everything with a fine tooth comb. Are the RSPCA going to find the height factor for the horse adequate.

OP commented about rust and the roof (on her other thread) They, as were many metal items of their time, rust buckets after a certain time. I doubt this will be a quick, cheap welding job. To do the job properly it will need the iron supports over the roof replacing and new metal sheeting. Bear in mind that with a 17hand horse his head is going to be very close to that metal roof. It is only going to take a slight accident and his head could go through a poor quality roof.
. Whilst I appreciate OP's father kept the trailer in very good condition mechanically I would suggest (although I know the suggestion will not be appreciated) that OP gets a full assessment on the bodywork and chassis to see what work is required and if it is going to be cost effective to repair. Replacing the roof is not going to be cheap.

I don't think Frumpoon expressed this very well but I do understand her frustration as this has been pointed out but OP doesn't want to hear it. I can see that she is concerned, quite rightly, the horse could get hurt.

I have an I for trailer weighing 905kgs empty add my friends 650kg cob plus tack and water and I’m close to 1700kg and my XTrail with a towing limit of 2200kg never struggles and it isn’t illegal nor will it void insurance as it’s within the manufacturers limit. So I don’t understand your comments of it being unsafe to tow with a car? I do however I agree with the sentiment that fitting a horse to stuff you already have isn’t the best way to buy.

You could keep the trailer OP and make it into something else if it has sentimental value. ?

I have the offender on UI as honestly they delight in being obnoxious, I’m fairly plain speaking but there is never any deliberate malice in it, with that one there is, likes to spread the misery around.

OP I bought Faran to make 14.3hh, he was that at 2 ? he’s 15.1hh at three and I’ve had to sell all of my 5ft9/6ft rugs and he’s in the last of my 6ft3s ?. He currently fits my old boys saddle and bridle but I know that going to change as well as sad as it will make me to have to sell those too. Buy what you want, but not necessarily to fit things you already have. Whilst it’s nice when that happens I must admit, it gives you more options to see what else is out there ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I have an I for trailer weighing 905kgs empty add my friends 650kg cob plus tack and water and I’m close to 1700kg and my XTrail with a towing limit of 2200kg never struggles and it isn’t illegal nor will it void insurance as it’s within the manufacturers limit. So I don’t understand your comments of it being unsafe to tow with a car? I do however I agree with the sentiment that fitting a horse to stuff you already have isn’t the best way to buy.

You could keep the trailer OP and make it into something else if it has sentimental value. ?

I have the offender on UI as honestly they delight in being obnoxious, I’m fairly plain speaking but there is never any deliberate malice in it, with that one there is, likes to spread the misery around.

OP I bought Faran to make 14.3hh, he was that at 2 ? he’s 15.1hh at three and I’ve had to sell all of my 5ft9/6ft rugs and he’s in the last of my 6ft3s ?. He currently fits my old boys saddle and bridle but I know that going to change as well as sad as it will make me to have to sell those too. Buy what you want, but not necessarily to fit things you already have. Whilst it’s nice when that happens I must admit, it gives you more options to see what else is out there ?

This. Albeit a trailer is a bigger thing than some rugs and bridle, I wouldn't use it as a limiting factor. Back in the US, I had a little trailer that just about fit my 15hh horse. When I bought the 16.1hh horse, the trailer had to go. I replaced it with a big one that was a lot better anyway (keeping in mind towing capacity limits on your license aren't an issue there).

Trailers could have many uses. Garden sheds. Caravans. Met some people at a folk music festival who had converted an old Ifor into a mini-caravan. It was very cute.

paddy555

Visit site
I have an I for trailer weighing 905kgs empty add my friends 650kg cob plus tack and water and I’m close to 1700kg and my XTrail with a towing limit of 2200kg never struggles and it isn’t illegal nor will it void insurance as it’s within the manufacturers limit. So I don’t understand your comments of it being unsafe to tow with a car?

Y

because on an earlier thread OP stated the trailer weighed 650kg and she had carefully calculated that the load was within the weight of the towing capacity of the car. I think, from having had one of these trailers, that the weight is under-calculated probably by a fair amount which would seriously affect the calculations.
Second point is that just because you can tow just within the capacity of your car you should do if you have a horse up. You need a good margin of error especially to cope with the unknowns, hills up and especially down.

However at the end of the day it is up to anyone what they do with their horse. Putting a 17hh plus horse in a trailer with that head height is both unsafe and unreasonable to the horse. Towing with what could be an under capacity car with a heavy trailer (which the rice were) is IMHO not the most sensible thing to do. However each to their own. Those are just my opinions, nothing else.

To post on another thread you are being bullied when people are concerned about the welfare of a horse in the proposed towing set up just seems to be you don't like comments so they must be wrong and you are being bullied.
At the end of the day what matters is the horse's welfare.

Someone else may have taken the comments about the trailer and towing capacity on board. That may have saved them a long drive to collect a horse when the previous owner said no way are you putting my beloved horse in that. It is too small.

Birker2020

Visit site

Thanks. I've written a lengthy reply but now deleted it and sent it to you instead by PM.

Last edited:

[153312]

Visit site
What people seem to be missing is that it's entirely possible to raise concerns about animal welfare in a way which is respectful towards both the animal AND the person involved. It's REALLY not that hard to say, 'oh hey, I'm not sure if you've considered but your weight calculations may be a little off', or ask an open ended question - 'how did you come to this weight calculation?' - to give individuals an opportunity to actually explain themselves and have an informed discussion which does not need to get heated or cause upset to either party.

*Steps off soapbox and legs it*

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
because on an earlier thread OP stated the trailer weighed 650kg and she had carefully calculated that the load was within the weight of the towing capacity of the car. I think, from having had one of these trailers, that the weight is under-calculated probably by a fair amount which would seriously affect the calculations.
Second point is that just because you can tow just within the capacity of your car you should do if you have a horse up. You need a good margin of error especially to cope with the unknowns, hills up and especially down.

However at the end of the day it is up to anyone what they do with their horse. Putting a 17hh plus horse in a trailer with that head height is both unsafe and unreasonable to the horse. Towing with what could be an under capacity car with a heavy trailer (which the rice were) is IMHO not the most sensible thing to do. However each to their own. Those are just my opinions, nothing else.

To post on another thread you are being bullied when people are concerned about the welfare of a horse in the proposed towing set up just seems to be you don't like comments so they must be wrong and you are being bullied.
At the end of the day what matters is the horse's welfare.

Someone else may have taken the comments about the trailer and towing capacity on board. That may have saved them a long drive to collect a horse when the previous owner said no way are you putting my beloved horse in that. It is too small.

The cars will have been tested rigorously to determine the limits hence why if they were wrong they would have dire consequences and be liable for many lawsuits. So the limit is what the car is capable of. If I’m towing 1700kg with a 2200kg limit then I’m well within it. So is anyone else.

This is the only thing I disagree with but folk can buy what they like for whatever reason they like. Unless you have all the exact facts is hard to really judge I suppose

paddy555

Visit site
The cars will have been tested rigorously to determine the limits hence why if they were wrong they would have dire consequences and be liable for many lawsuits. So the limit is what the car is capable of. If I’m towing 1700kg with a 2200kg limit then I’m well within it. So is anyone else.

This is the only thing I disagree with but folk can buy what they like for whatever reason they like. Unless you have all the exact facts is hard to really judge I suppose

you are well within the limits but I didn't think we were talking about your car and your trailer. :)

paddy555

Visit site
It's REALLY not that hard to say, 'oh hey, I'm not sure if you've considered but your weight calculations may be a little off', or ask an open ended question - 'how did you come to this weight calculation?' - to give individuals an opportunity to actually explain themselves and have an informed discussion which does not need to get heated or cause upset to either party.

*Steps off soapbox and legs it*

I thought we had already done that several times on the earlier threads.

Birker2020

Visit site
I thought we had already done that several times on the earlier threads.

No you totally regarded what I said in favour of your point and have practically been ramming your opinion down my throat and virtually accused me of lying about the trailer weight in order to get a rise out of me. I can see how you might have reached this conclusion had my trailer been the trailer you believe it to be but it clearly isn't for many reasons, not least because its the wrong style, shape and has no window at the side. The coupling assembly/jockey wheel is also different as well as the interior, and the tyres as I have the spec for every Rice and Richardson made. I said I believed it to be a Bayhill possibly especially as said roof is 7ft 2" inside and the Europa is 7ft. It's actually come from a place called Avonride in Monmouthshire and they make the axles as well as sell trailers, or they did used to at one time.

But if makes you sleep easier in your bed I will get the trailer weighed on a weigh bridge and photograph the ticket for you. It will be a few weeks, I've told the chap at the garage to take his time, he is doing my trailer at the end of the day when he has a bit of spare time and he's finished his work for the day. So it could take a month or so, which is fine as I don't have a horse so I am not bothered. He's not charging me for labour as he is a personal friend of mine, but he has worked out what the overall cost is and the cost of the welding which makes up the most part and it is well within the budget and the money I have put aside. In fact he is doing me a massive favour, but then that is why he is doing it, because he's a genuine guy and knows how much my trailer means to me and he has a kind heart. I will of course pay him for his time.

If my trailer is 650kg and a 17hh WB or ISH is around 680/700kg then I will be inside my towing weight by at least 300kg. And like I say it is nothing to do with you, I came on the forum to ask a question about ISH and not to be lectured and partronised about my trailer. Most people that tow are within this margin so I should not be singled out.

Like Soapbox says, you haven't listened to anything I've said about the trailer, you have just drawn your conclusions (incorrectly I might add) and bullied and bashed your way through trying to get me to see your point of view as have your cronies who also trememdously enjoy getting a rise out of me.

And as I've said a zillion times before but will repeat again, I've been towing the same trailer since 1996. Its been serviced a lot more regular than most of the trailers I know and maintained to a very good standard, both inside and out. Its had a succession of horses all around 17hh travel lovely in it, none have ever bashed their heads or put their head through the roof :rolleyes: and has never had any issues either mechancially or structually that have caused any danger whatsoever. True it has gone a bit to wrack and ruin body wise (i.e. flaking paint) since Dad passed away in 2017 but it just needs a respray and fixing the hole that has been caused by rust and was not evident until the flashing on the roof was pulled off by the chap it is with and is not the dangerous death trap it has been made out to be, ridiculous statement with no basis whatsoever.

This thread isn't even anything to do with trailers, its about potential height that a particular breed of horse can reach and you have just hijacked for your own agenda.

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
you are well within the limits but I didn't think we were talking about your car and your trailer. :)

Im using mine as an example considering I have no idea of the make and model of the OPs trailer or their towing vehicle. Some people tow with estate cars I Prefer a 4x4.

Since I only tow one horse with my trailer most smaller SUV type 4x4 cars will tow what I want to tow. You would be exactly at the limit and you are still legal in all ways to tow. You do not need a margin. If there was a need for that then there would be a revision of the cars capability.

I'm Dun

Visit site
No you totally regarded what I said in favour of your point and have practically been ramming your opinion down my throat and virtually accused me of lying about the trailer weight in order to get a rise out of me. I can see how you might have reached this conclusion had my trailer been the trailer you believe it to be but it clearly isn't for many reasons, not least because its the wrong style, shape and has no window at the side. The coupling assembly/jockey wheel is also different as well as the interior, and the tyres as I have the spec for every Rice and Richardson made. I said I believed it to be a Bayhill possibly especially as said roof is 7ft 2" inside and the Europa is 7ft. It's actually come from a place called Avonride in Monmouthshire and they make the axles as well as sell trailers, or they did used to at one time.

But if makes you sleep easier in your bed I will get the trailer weighed on a weigh bridge and photograph the ticket for you. It will be a few weeks, I've told the chap at the garage to take his time, he is doing my trailer at the end of the day when he has a bit of spare time and he's finished his work for the day. So it could take a month or so, which is fine as I don't have a horse so I am not bothered. He's not charging me for labour as he is a personal friend of mine, but he has worked out what the overall cost is and the cost of the welding which makes up the most part and it is well within the budget and the money I have put aside. In fact he is doing me a massive favour, but then that is why he is doing it, because he's a genuine guy and knows how much my trailer means to me and he has a kind heart. I will of course pay him for his time.

If my trailer is 650kg and a 17hh WB or ISH is around 680/700kg then I will be inside my towing weight by at least 300kg. And like I say it is nothing to do with you, I came on the forum to ask a question about ISH and not to be lectured and partronised about my trailer. Most people that tow are within this margin so I should not be singled out.

EDITED TO SAY, I went and checked my paperwork, Bahill are Alko brakes, if they were replaced at any point it wouldnt have been with Avonride, so it 100% is not Bahill. Its most likely a rebranded Rice

Like Soapbox says, you haven't listened to anything I've said about the trailer, you have just drawn your conclusions (incorrectly I might add) and bullied and bashed your way through trying to get me to see your point of view as have your cronies who also trememdously enjoy getting a rise out of me.

And as I've said a zillion times before but will repeat again, I've been towing the same trailer since 1996. Its been serviced a lot more regular than most of the trailers I know and maintained to a very good standard, both inside and out. Its had a succession of horses all around 17hh travel lovely in it, none have ever bashed their heads or put their head through the roof :rolleyes: and has never had any issues either mechancially or structually that have caused any danger whatsoever. True it has gone a bit to wrack and ruin body wise (i.e. flaking paint) since Dad passed away in 2017 but it just needs a respray and fixing the hole that has been caused by rust and was not evident until the flashing on the roof was pulled off by the chap it is with and is not the dangerous death trap it has been made out to be, ridiculous statement with no basis whatsoever.

This thread isn't even anything to do with trailers, its about potential height that a particular breed of horse can reach and you have just hijacked for your own agenda.

This is the problem though, its not a point a view, and I am not anyones crony so have no one to agree with, and I genuinely was trying to help you. I had no intention of ever mentioning this again, but it clearly does need clarifying.

My fibreglass pony trailer that would fit inside your trailer is 642kgs. There is no way that your trailer weighs 650kgs. It doesnt matter what make it is. Its close enough to a Rice/Bahill to know that the weight is somewhere between 850 and 1100kgs. Bahills are extremely light, and they are 850kgs for the models that take 16.2hhs. They are also branded. Avonride makes the axles and brakes for nearly all older horse trailers, but if I remember rightly, not Bahill. I can double check for you if you want me to. I've had a Bahill on a weighbridge so know this weight as absolute fact. The equivalent Rice is heavier, by as little as 100kgs for some, but can be more. One version is nearly 1200kgs.

No one has drawn conclusions incorrectly, and I put a fairly lengthy post explaining the reasoning and suggesting that you go to a weigh bridge to confirm, which you absolutely need to do.

Headroom, again, this is a trailer for 16.2hh max. some bigger horses will tolerate this. Some wont. My friend has squashed a 16.2hh TB in a cattle trailer on one occasion and I wouldnt be happy with a 14.2hh in it. But horses are amenable creatures and quite often you get away with it. It is up to you if you want to try.

I did suggest that you take the trailer with you to try any potential horse in it if it was important to you, as some will not go in or won't be happy travelling. And whether you like it or not, if you intend to use that trailer, some owners wont sell to you, lots will, but it is something you should probably mention to prevent any issues when you arrive to collect your new horse.

The post that kicked this off obviously wasnt expressed kindly, but maybe try and use this positively. Weigh the trailer, mention its size to owners of horses you are interested in, and take the trailer and try the horse in it. That way you, the horse and the owner are all happy and there is no issue.

EDITED TO ADD that it was bugging me, so I went and checked. Bahill use Alko brakes so it 100% is not a Bahill, and is almost certainly a rebranded Rice. The windows were optional and you could customise the trailer to a certain degree. The use of Avonride brakes makes it incredibly likely that it is Rice in all but name.

Last edited:

MollyFell

Visit site
This is the problem though, its not a point a view, and I am not anyones crony so have no one to agree with, and I genuinely was trying to help you. I had no intention of ever mentioning this again, but it clearly does need clarifying.

My fibreglass pony trailer that would fit inside your trailer is 642kgs. There is no way that your trailer weighs 650kgs. It doesnt matter what make it is. Its close enough to a Rice/Bahill to know that the weight is somewhere between 900 and 1100kgs. Bahills are extremely light, and they are 850kgs for the models that take 16.2hhs. They are also branded. Avonride makes the axles and brakes for nearly all older horse trailers, but if I remember rightly, not Bahill. I can double check for you if you want me to. I've had a Bahill on a weighbridge so know this weight as absolute fact. The equivalent Rice is heavier, by as little as 100kgs for some, but can be more. One version is nearly 1200kgs.

No one has drawn conclusions incorrectly, and I put a fairly lengthy post explaining the reasoning and suggesting that you go to a weigh bridge to confirm, which you absolutely need to do.

Headroom, again, this is a trailer for 16.2hh max. some bigger horses will tolerate this. Some wont. My friend has squashed a 16.2hh TB in a cattle trailer on one occasion and I wouldnt be happy with a 14.2hh in it. But horses are amenable creatures and quite often you get away with it. It is up to you if you want to try.

I did suggest that you take the trailer with you to try any potential horse in it if it was important to you, as some will not go in or won't be happy travelling. And whether you like it or not, if you intend to use that trailer, some owners wont sell to you, lots will, but it is something you should probably mention to prevent any issues when you arrive to collect your new horse.

The post that kicked this off obviously wasnt expressed kindly, but maybe try and use this positively. Weigh the trailer, mention its size to owners of horses you are interested in, and take the trailer and try the horse in it. That way you, the horse and the owner are all happy and there is no issue.

My single, fibreglass, 2017 Cheval Liberte weighs 650kg. The equivalent in a double weighs 850kg. I cannot fathom how an old style double could possibly weigh in at the same as mine...I'm interested to see it weighed.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Can anyone enlighten me as to the height of the biggest trailer available and what headroom do you usually get in lorries? I remember being at one show where someone was loading a horse into a pretty big lorry and they had to put a tight standing martingale on it to stop it putting its head up as it got to the top of the ramp and thinking it couldn't go in. Often wondered what the actual headroom was.

paddy555

Visit site

when I realised who you were before Birker and HB I started to understand your posts a lot better :D

Birker2020

Visit site
This is getting so very boring :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I intend to do what i want with my trailer and the ignoramuses can jog on. Self appointed 'experts' who are just making wild assumptions and guesses when quite frankly they've not got a clue, like labelling my trailer a Europa despite it having 7ft 2 headroom when the trailer spec for a Europa is totally different.

How often do you have your trailer serviced? Not every year like mine was, i don't expect. And painted every four years. You had a new wooden hardwood floor (to make it look nice, not because it was dangerous)? Have you had a new hessian lining and strips on your ramp?. New lights? A new damper?. Changed your brake shoes? Nah thought not. Bet the majority of you have never bothered even once to have your trailers serviced.

In fact I strongly believe all trailers should have a yearly MOT and I know mine would fly it.

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Who were they? And why do people change their names all the time? I can't keep up! :D
Are you serious? Half the people on the forum have more than one user name. They don't have a genuine reason why they reinvent themselves like i was forced to and I've explained numerous times why i was HB and then Birker2020, it is a perfectly innocent reason, and the people who keep bringing it up again know the reasons why but for 'added drama' and to make it seem like its more than it is, its brought up again and again.

They have you think they felt sorry for my last horse being 'crammed' into it, the same horse I might point out who they demanded I had shot some 7yrs previously, that's how much they cared. My vets rolled his eyes and said they were nutters when i told him what they said, oh and the bit were they demanded i sack him too!. He thought it was hilarious that self appointed experts thought they knew more than he did, having been a vet for 15yrs and studying for 6, especially as they managed to diagnosis and then treat my horse without ever clapping eyes on him by telling me to shoot him.

In light of covid, mental health in the spot flight, the ongoing storyline with April on Emmerdale and the fact its only two months since i lost one of the most important, constant and non judgemental things in my life (which has literally ripped my heart in two) you'd think people would be a little kinder and show a little empathy towards others.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This is getting so very boring :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I intend to do what i want with my trailer and the ignoramuses can jog on. Self appointed 'experts' who are just making wild assumptions and guesses when quite frankly they've not got a clue, like labelling my trailer a Europa despite it having 7ft 2 headroom when the trailer spec for a Europa is totally different.

How often do you have your trailer serviced? Not every year like mine was, i don't expect. And painted every four years. You had a new wooden hardwood floor (to make it look nice, not because it was dangerous)? Have you had a new hessian lining and strips on your ramp?. New lights? A new damper?. Changed your brake shoes? Nah thought not. Bet the majority of you have never bothered even once to have your trailers serviced.

In fact I strongly believe all trailers should have a yearly MOT and I know mine would fly it.

You can't be mad at people for making wild assumptions and then make a wild assumption yourself. You are the same as them. You are wildly assuming that everyone doesn't give a toss about their trailers and doesn't maintain them, as if you're the only one that takes good care of your trailer. That just isn't the case.

Some have newer trailers that don't need that kind of work yet, that doesn't mean they don't take care of it. Some have older trailers and have likely done all or most of what you've done. I know I have with my friend (we share her trailer - she doesn't use it). To say a majority of us have not had our trailers serviced implies that we don't give a toss about our horses or our belongings. Maybe some people don't, but it's a rude assumption.

You feel that others are being rude to you and casting assumptions, don't stoop to their level, you are now no better than them.

I also don't think anyone is even debating whether or not you care for/maintain your trailer. It's the weight, and if a big horse truly comfortably fits inside. It's not about the condition of the trailer. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen a single person rag on you about not maintaining your trailer or saying it was derelict. That's totally not the point.

I have no idea what the weight of your trailer is, no one does. I also see people put horses in trailers that aren't tall enough. Does it work? I mean, the horse goes in and nothing bad has happened yet, so I guess it does. Is it what I'd do? Probably not (bar an emergency). If you're so confident in your trailer, it's weight, and that a tall horse fits in it, then rock on and ignore everyone.

Birker2020

Visit site
You can't be mad at people for making wild assumptions and then make a wild assumption yourself. You are the same as them. You are wildly assuming that everyone doesn't give a toss about their trailers and doesn't maintain them, as if you're the only one that takes good care of your trailer. That just isn't the case.

Some have newer trailers that don't need that kind of work yet, that doesn't mean they don't take care of it. Some have older trailers and have likely done all or most of what you've done. I know I have with my friend (we share her trailer - she doesn't use it). To say a majority of us have not had our trailers serviced implies that we don't give a toss about our horses or our belongings. Maybe some people don't, but it's a rude assumption.

You feel that others are being rude to you and casting assumptions, don't stoop to their level, you are now no better than them.

I also don't think anyone is even debating whether or not you care for/maintain your trailer. It's the weight, and if a big horse truly comfortably fits inside. It's not about the condition of the trailer. Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen a single person rag on you about not maintaining your trailer or saying it was derelict. That's totally not the point.

I have no idea what the weight of your trailer is, no one does. I also see people put horses in trailers that aren't tall enough. Does it work? I mean, the horse goes in and nothing bad has happened yet, so I guess it does. Is it what I'd do? Probably not (bar an emergency). If you're so confident in your trailer, it's weight, and that a tall horse fits in it, then rock on and ignore everyone.
Yes they did say it was dangerous according to the 'font of all knowledge' no other than Frumpoon, it's a death trap. And i force my horse in, which anyone with any common sense knows cannot be acheived. Which is not only insulting to my Dads memory but also very incorrect and has not been backed up by any evidence at all that this is the case.

And whether they are old trailers or new trailers that you own they should still be reguarly serviced, tyre pressures maintained and the parts greased to keep them freed up, as most will be stood in the same place for a while between uses outside and exposed to the elements.

The trouble is I've posted on here (not thinking of the danger it would be used against me) of a couple of photos of my horse at the destination. With the partition slid right over to the front unload door and the horse untied and therefore free to look out over the door while I'm packing away tack etc, thus giving the illusion of it looking not high enough head room wise. What a shame i don't have any photos of my horses standing with their heads in a normal position around three or four inches lower than the headroom. But of course it's illogical to suggest my horses have all been fine travellers as that wouldn't be anywhere as near entertaining for you all.

I'm sure most would agree the same principle works with a stable door, horse holds head in a higher position to look out, horse in stable dozing or eating hay will hold its head much lower.

My horses all travelled perfectly.

I have a photo of my 17.1hh previous horse stood next to the trailer and he looks looks fine. Its just the way its been interpreted and nothing to substantiate the allegations made as is usually the case.

So jog on.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes they did say it was dangerous according to the font of all knowledge Frumpoon, its a death trap. Which is not only insulting to my Dads memory but also very incorrect and has not been backed up by any evidence at all that this is the case.

And whether they are old trailers or new trailers that you own they should still be reguarly serviced, tyre pressures maintained and the parts greased to keep them freed up, as most will be stood in the same place for a while between uses outside and exposed to the elements.

The trouble is I've posted on here (not thinking of the danger it would be used against me) of a couple of photos of my horse at the destination. With the partition slid right over to the front unload door and the horse untied and therefore free to look out over the door thus giving the illusion of it looking to high enough head room wise.

I'm sure most would agree the same principle works with a stable door, hirse holds head in a higher position to look out, horse in stable dosing or eating hay will hold its head much lower.

My horses all travelled perfectly.

I have a photo of my 17.1hh previous horse stood next to the trailer and he looks looks fine. Its jyst the way its been interpreted and nothing to substantiate the allegations made.

You've missed part of my point. I know that all trailers should be maintained. Some new ones just don't need the things you've done yet. They need maintenance, but not new lights, for example, if all are working and nearly new.

I don't see your stable analogy as equal to riding in a trailer, personally.

Like I said, if you really believe it's fine, then just do it ?‍♀️

Birker2020

Visit site
I'll leave Birker to answer your question.
I already have and explained that there are some sad people (much like yourself funnily enough) who go out of their way to turn something completely innocuous into a big conspiracy theory so they can stir it and cause maximum drama for their victim.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Birker please stop giving people more food to attack you with. The only way to stop what happens to you on so many threads is to stop rising to the bait.

I know it's not fair, and that you want to put your side of things and have the last word, I understand that as well as anybody on this forum does. But you can't win that way on a forum, especially when people know that you are easy to get a rise out of.

If you know your trailer is safe and fit for the horse you want to buy that's all that matters. Please just let the thread die the death it now deserves.