Irish Setters

trendybraincell

Visit site
Hi all, I've never been brave enough to venture into AAD so please be nice!

I'm so very excited that we've started looking for an Irish Setter to join our family :D :D
My partner and I will be moving into our new home next month, in the mean time we've been at my parents so our little Spaniel has had my parents 3 dogs for company for some time. We've discussed getting a second dog for some time and my mum has very kindly donated whats left of my "lorry fund" to help purchase the new edition (who needs a lorry!).

I've already got experience of Irish Setters, one of the 3 at my parents is my "old lady"; my 15 yr old Setter who is my pride & joy...as much as it kills me to leave her, expecting her to leave the other 2 at the grand old age of 15 and move house is not going to happen.

Well as you can imagine it's been quite some time since I've been Irish Setter shopping...any hints and tips for me to consider this time round?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I had a Red Setter as a teenager, all I can say is he was a total fruit loop.

As a puppy he chewed through an electric cable which was plugged in at the time, tried to eat a tube of super glue and was rather partial to a glass of sherry. He stole and ate anything he could find and was the most disobedient dog I have ever owned.

Unfortunately he got cancer and didn't live beyond 8 years old but those 8 years were never dull.

Happy puppy hunting and I hope yours is better behaved than digger dog was.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I grew up with 3 of them. Beautiful crazy dogs! I have whippets and lurchers now, but I quite often think an irish setter would fit in well with my 2. No help really, sorry :lol:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Have you checked for an assured breeder on the Kennel Club or Champ dogs? Have a good look at what tests are advised and aim for a breeder who tests and shows low scores. Not my breed, so I can't be of much use, but health testing would be my first requirement for any breed.

Good luck, I hope someone who knows something about the breed sees this. :)

minesadouble

Visit site
I know nothing about Irish Setters, other than they are very beautiful so can be no help there. But when we were looking for a Hungarian Vizsla pup it seemed that most of the best breeders had their entire litters spoken for before birth.
I called a big name breeder (whose own litters were all 'reserved' for that year) and asked if they could point me in the direction of a good litter. Luckily they had taken a call from a breeder that day who had had someone 'drop out' of having a dog pup and that is how we came to get our boy. I don't know if the situation is similar across other breeds but it may be worth bearing in mind if you are looking for a good example of the breed that you may be in for a little bit of a wait.

Visit site
I owned Gordon setters for years, absolutely beautiful dogs, but you cant beat that wonderful red setter coat ! Don't know if they are a prolific breed, (Gordons aren't any more) as you don't see them very often so you may have a bit of a wait.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
seem to be way more Irish setters here in Scotland than down south. I regularly see them out and about and the show classes are well subscribed apparently. The only problem I've had with mine is that I had to have him neutered which knacked his coat (he had a retained testicle) and he has a lot of skin allergies. This is thankfully controlled by vaccination. I know this can happen in all dogs but does seem to be a problem in Irish and English setters.

They (as you know) are extremely enthusiastic about life, the world and everything but are sensitive dogs-not stupid at all (what is stupid about a dog turning lights off and on, ambushing other dogs in play and stealing toys so that he will be chased lol). The ones I've known that have been deemed untrainable have just been trained too harshly (and it doesn't need to be 'harsh' at all).
They chew when the are younger and recall can be erm, challenging until they are 8yo or so. Fabulous dogs (I have several disabled extended family members with tics, wheelchairs and other 'machinery' and he is just lovely with everything) The only reason I hesitate about another is the skin thing as I've been lucky is easily managed and that I am not sure I have enough energy now for a teenage (i.e. 6 months-8yo) setter.

I've always loved the Gordons Penny Less, they are stunning.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
seem to be way more Irish setters here in Scotland than down south. I regularly see them out and about and the show classes are well subscribed apparently. The only problem I've had with mine is that I had to have him neutered which knacked his coat (he had a retained testicle) and he has a lot of skin allergies. This is thankfully controlled by vaccination. I know this can happen in all dogs but does seem to be a problem in Irish and English setters.

They (as you know) are extremely enthusiastic about life, the world and everything but are sensitive dogs-not stupid at all (what is stupid about a dog turning lights off and on, ambushing other dogs in play and stealing toys so that he will be chased lol). The ones I've known that have been deemed untrainable have just been trained too harshly (and it doesn't need to be 'harsh' at all).
They chew when the are younger and recall can be erm, challenging until they are 8yo or so. Fabulous dogs (I have several disabled extended family members with tics, wheelchairs and other equipment and he is just lovely with everything-he'd make a great PAT dog) The only reason I hesitate about another is the skin thing, as I've been lucky is easily managed, and that I am not sure I have enough energy now for a teenage (i.e. 6 months-8yo) setter!

I've always loved the Gordons Penny Less, they are stunning.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I haven't had Irish Setters but we have had English Setters - I believe they are similarly loopy but utterly gorgeous. I think waitlists are the norm with these breeds as they are so rare. Hopefully someone on here will be able to recommend some good breeders. If not, research a few in your area using the KC website and ask if you could go and see the parents and get an idea. When you find one you like/trust you can get yourself on a waitlist, fingers crossed you'll have one soon!

trendybraincell

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies :)

Cinnamontoast: yes I've gone through the UK & Ireland Irish setters website for registered breeders and contacted 3 that are expecting litters.

I've also done my research with the breed and see the introduction of a new test so I've had that as an extra to ask about although as I don't plan to breed theres a little more flexibility with regards to either the dam or sire being a carrier of PRA but not both!

I'm really excited that we've found a breeder who has been super approachable, asked as many questions of us as we have of them and has placed us in the short list for the girls from the litter. We've arranged to go and view when they are 3/4 weeks old so bit more time to keep researching but its all looking good :D

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Off topic slightly, but we've recently met three Gordon Setters out walking. What fabulous dogs.

Look forward to the pics TB!!

Alec Swan

Visit site
My experience with Red (Irish) Setters is limited, I'll agree, but every single one of them has had fairies floating about between their ears. That's every single one of them! Beautiful and striking animals, for all that.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if there are still those who breed the Red and White variety? I once saw one working, on a Grouse Moor, and it was better than most of its brethren!

Alec.