Irish sport equine - Gerty Tynan

catembi

Visit site
From a personal perspective, I had had an awful time with a house move from one equestrian property to another that fell through, a(nother) divorce etc and I got the urge to do something mad and exciting. It was def both of those things. But then look what has just happened with Cody. Viewed 5 suitable horses, tried him twice in all situations, hacking, road etc, 5 stage vetting that I was present for, and now he has tested +ve for EPSM type 1 and we are awaiting the results for type 2. I have had previous horses develop problems...Adrian with £8.5k price tag, immaculate sj breeding and EPSM, 5 stage at which I was present, Trev with ulcers & KS for which he had unsuccessful surgery... So my thinking was kind of, okay, so I have previously done everything ‘right’ and come unstuck...let’s try a different approach... Would I do it again? Probably not. And I am now riding my 12.2 companion as that’s my most rideable horse. ?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
insurance costs are very high in ireland, how very convenient!
Yes, they really are and the compo awarded for the most minor non-event causing absolutely no injury, not so much as a broken nail, is off the scale. Some doctors whose dishonesty is only matched by the ubiquity of their false medical reports collude with the lawyers and it is a complete farce except for the many thousands of businesses which can no longer afford the astronomically inflated premiums and have closed. The UK has withdrawn from the market completely and horse insurance is simply not available here.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
The UK has withdrawn from the market completely and horse insurance is simply not available here.
Its infuriating - my old retired horse is no longer insured because the last horse insurers in Ireland who had her on their books for many years simply stopped insuring. I can't get vet's fees cover for my new horse anywhere in Ireland.

My own vet has remarked that this will probably set horse welfare here back decades - it is only in the past couple of decades, due to the availability of insurance at an affordable premium that more 'backyard' owners and breeders have been willing to even call a vet out to sometimes very sick and poorly horses. Now they can no longer get cover they will simply revert to old, often completely useless home remedies and as always it will be the animal that suffers.

EventerPony

Visit site
A friend of mine was interested in several that this dealer had advertised - she wanted to go over to Ireland to view, but was actively discouraged, some guff about insurance......the dealer said that most horses were bought unseen and that that was the 'norm'.

Not saying there is anything dodgy about this dealers practices, and certainly seems to have some cracking horses available, but not the way I would like to buy a horse.
Yup had all this. We were determined to go in the end, and did meet her. But couldn’t ride her. I did get a much better feel of her rather than from the videos.

tristar

Visit site
Its infuriating - my old retired horse is no longer insured because the last horse insurers in Ireland who had her on their books for many years simply stopped insuring. I can't get vet's fees cover for my new horse anywhere in Ireland.

My own vet has remarked that this will probably set horse welfare here back decades - it is only in the past couple of decades, due to the availability of insurance at an affordable premium that more 'backyard' owners and breeders have been willing to even call a vet out to sometimes very sick and poorly horses. Now they can no longer get cover they will simply revert to old, often completely useless home remedies and as always it will be the animal that suffers.

is this the 21st century? its an eu country

tristar

Visit site
Yes, they really are and the compo awarded for the most minor non-event causing absolutely no injury, not so much as a broken nail, is off the scale. Some doctors whose dishonesty is only matched by the ubiquity of their false medical reports collude with the lawyers and it is a complete farce except for the many thousands of businesses which can no longer afford the astronomically inflated premiums and have closed. The UK has withdrawn from the market completely and horse insurance is simply not available here.

needs some big changes to be on the way

Mdun123

New User
Visit site
Ordinarily, I would agree......my first cob, I rode, had a friend ride, insisted on tacking him up myself (been burned badly with a previous horse!)
My current cob I bought unseen, unbroken, from a video - from Ireland. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I agreed the price having seen the video because I knew if I didn't someone else would bite their hand off.
He arrived 10 days later 149cm at the age of 3 (I personally he think he may have been 2 due to teeth) but I was OK with that for various reasons. He is now a full up show cob and has been an absolute diamond for nervous Nelly me, I rode him 4 weeks after he was broken as I was having a serious operation and there was a real possibility it might be my only chance.
ANyway. What I'm trying to say is....it can work. I know I have been lucky. For avoidance of doubt i did NOT buy from the person under discussion in this thread, happy to give the seller's name as I thoroughly recommend.
Before photo is at 149cm, after 155cm

Mdun123

New User
Visit site
Eek! sorry new member trying to figure out how to reply to posts on my mobile ?
Jnb could you please let me know which Irish dealer you used, thanks