Irish sport equine - Gerty Tynan

Gabby75

New User
Visit site
Just wondered if anyone has any experience of irish sport equine which is run by a lady called Geerty Tynan?
They seem to have nice horses for sale but I wanted to get peoples feedback as they are based in Ireland I wouldn't want to waste a trip.
Thanks

Gabby75

New User
Visit site
I bought a beautiful Connemara from Gerty. Gerty is a lovely lady to deal with and our horse is fantastic. I would definitely recommend her and I will be buying from her again in the future!

EventerPony

Visit site
Hello! I bought my pony Sunshine from her. She came a lot greener than expected and had very little jumping confidence. That said, she has masses of talent, and is really sweet. She has had be sedated to be shod - which we were not told, but has great feet. She is pretty bad in the wind, but not all the time. I think she is the cutest little pony though. and v pretty if i say so myself.BC6D9F3A-C0D5-4FE1-965F-95241B3BF6D3.jpeg

catembi

Visit site
I see that I have been mentioned a few times! So, like the Candyman, here I am. My horse was the correct size, but had a big dent in the front of the hoof wall in front, which turned into a huuuuuuuge crack when growing out & looked like a cloven hoof. I had to pay for xrays to check it wasn't sinister as it certainly looked it. She had undisclosed shiver (arrived with a 5 stage which was pretty much blank apart from name & microchip number), & I had 2 weeks signed off work with concussion due to an incident picking out her back feet. I had 2 hosp appts & nearly had to have reconstructive surgery from hock to the chin from this incident. She also bit me extremely hard on the arm through a thick fleece which has left a scar & a dent. I have photos & vet reports to support all this. I also have emails from Gerty saying she had never shown any of this behaviour with them (you can see the shiver on the sales video once you're looking for it) & that it's up to me if I decide to waste money on xrays. Anyway, I sold her, losing £4k in the process, she was sold on once or twice more and she is now showjumping back in Ireland.

Michen

Visit site
Well I now know 3 people who have bought connemaras from Gerty. All green as grass but as described.

Surely Catembi the vet was at fault if you had a 5 stage and they didn’t pick up the shiver?

Upthecreek

Visit site
This may be unpopular, but........ I have never ever bought a horse unseen and I never ever would. It’s such a huge risk. I probably spend as much time (sometimes more) on an average week with my horses as with my husband and children. It’s very important that we get on. I just cannot understand the logic of buying something you are going to invest so much time, love and money into without meeting it in the flesh before buying. I could watch hours and hours of video of a horse being ridden, but until I’m sat on it and getting a feel for it I couldn’t possibly know whether or not it’s for me. I need to be around it to decide if we’ll be compatible. I don’t think you can always make a horse into what you want it to be, so the raw materials have to be very much there to make it worthwhile and you can’t see and feel this from videos. Personally I would rather wait longer for something to come up that I could view in person rather than buy something unseen. But that’s just me and I appreciate others take a different approach.

Michen

Visit site
This may be unpopular, but........ I have never ever bought a horse unseen and I never ever would. It’s such a huge risk. I probably spend as much time (sometimes more) on an average week with my horses as with my husband and children. It’s very important that we get on. I just cannot understand the logic of buying something you are going to invest so much time, love and money into without meeting it in the flesh before buying. I could watch hours and hours of video of a horse being ridden, but until I’m sat on it and getting a feel for it I couldn’t possibly know whether or not it’s for me. I need to be around it to decide if we’ll be compatible. I don’t think you can always make a horse into what you want it to be, so the raw materials have to be very much there to make it worthwhile and you can’t see and feel this from videos. Personally I would rather wait longer for something to come up that I could view in person rather than buy something unseen. But that’s just me and I appreciate others take a different approach.

Guess it depends on why you are buying. Both horses I bought unseen were not intended to keep, just fill a gap. I wouldn’t buy one unseen that was meant to be a forever horse because I’d definitely be looking for a horse I clicked with.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Guess it depends on why you are buying. Both horses I bought unseen were not intended to keep, just fill a gap. I wouldn’t buy one unseen that was meant to be a forever horse because I’d definitely be looking for a horse I clicked with.

Absolutely. I’ve never bought with the intention of selling on and I can see why this would be different. I buy intending that it’s going to be my horse for the rest of it's life so that is why I wouldn’t buy unseen.

L&M

Visit site
A friend of mine was interested in several that this dealer had advertised - she wanted to go over to Ireland to view, but was actively discouraged, some guff about insurance......the dealer said that most horses were bought unseen and that that was the 'norm'.

Not saying there is anything dodgy about this dealers practices, and certainly seems to have some cracking horses available, but not the way I would like to buy a horse.

suebou

Visit site
We bought a three year old tb, unseen, two years ago. He’s absolutely fab.....certainly better than the previous three who we deliberated over for ages...

Wheels

Visit site
A friend of mine was interested in several that this dealer had advertised - she wanted to go over to Ireland to view, but was actively discouraged, some guff about insurance......the dealer said that most horses were bought unseen and that that was the 'norm'.

Not saying there is anything dodgy about this dealers practices, and certainly seems to have some cracking horses available, but not the way I would like to buy a horse.

I live in NI and a friend of mine bought from Gerty. She went to view horses but wasnt allowed to ride - if you dont like him when you get him home you can exchange him for something else...

Luckily she did like him.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A dealer who doesn’t allow a ridden trial :oops:?!

With a website that says "she understood the skills involved in producing young horses and matching them to clients from a young age".

Not much matching going on if you can't ride, and none if you can't view.

Fair cop to her, she's got a really successful business selling unseen. Does anyone know what happens if you start asking for written answers to questions about lumps, bumps and behaviours?

jnb

Visit site
Ordinarily, I would agree......my first cob, I rode, had a friend ride, insisted on tacking him up myself (been burned badly with a previous horse!)
My current cob I bought unseen, unbroken, from a video - from Ireland. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I agreed the price having seen the video because I knew if I didn't someone else would bite their hand off.
He arrived 10 days later 149cm at the age of 3 (I personally he think he may have been 2 due to teeth) but I was OK with that for various reasons. He is now a full up show cob and has been an absolute diamond for nervous Nelly me, I rode him 4 weeks after he was broken as I was having a serious operation and there was a real possibility it might be my only chance.
ANyway. What I'm trying to say is....it can work. I know I have been lucky. For avoidance of doubt i did NOT buy from the person under discussion in this thread, happy to give the seller's name as I thoroughly recommend.
Before photo is at 149cm, after 155cm

Attachments

• 763AA5C4-299D-4BE0-8F87-D977098CF9A6.jpeg
    763AA5C4-299D-4BE0-8F87-D977098CF9A6.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 21
  • B0F39157-0313-43E8-8981-7907A4984BCE.jpeg
    B0F39157-0313-43E8-8981-7907A4984BCE.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 20

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i think buying unseen can work if the horse is basically sound in body and mind and if you aren't too fussy about what you end up with. I am comfortable with not trying a horse if the price is right (£0 ideally!) but I am happy to accept most things within reason and accept that I'm not in the position to really pick and choose the type of horses I have. if I was actually horse shopping with a proper budget rather than just wanting to fill a stable with something to play with then I'd feel differently.

Wheels

Visit site
insurance costs are very high in ireland, how very convenient!

Interesting that I have viewed horses at several producers yards close by and been able to ride them all.

If Gerty has issues with getting insurance I would question why...

Wheels

Visit site
i think buying unseen can work if the horse is basically sound in body and mind and if you aren't too fussy about what you end up with. I am comfortable with not trying a horse if the price is right (£0 ideally!) but I am happy to accept most things within reason and accept that I'm not in the position to really pick and choose the type of horses I have. if I was actually horse shopping with a proper budget rather than just wanting to fill a stable with something to play with then I'd feel differently.

Would you buy unseen for the €4-5k price tag of this dealer?

tristar

Visit site
Interesting that I have viewed horses at several producers yards close by and been able to ride them all.

If Gerty has issues with getting insurance I would question why...

is she in the south ? i know public liability and car ins is a big difference in the north to the south

jnb

Visit site
I was VERY fussy.....decent true show cobs are like diamonds. He certainly wasn't cheap and I know if he'd been sold to a professional he would have been more, because I bought him a year earlier than they usually sell and was prepared to give him the time to grow, I got lucky. I know that.

tristar

Visit site
anyway what is that they say? no such thing as bad publicity

i would never buy a ridden horse without trying it,many horses are ruined by bad breaking

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I got lucky. I know that.
yeah. I think luck matters less if you are someone like me who will take on basically anything, I didn't want a welsh cob for dressage but that's what I've ended up with, I didn't want a TB with 2 buggered front legs either but he was free so we are having a crack at it.

(I certainly feel fairly relaxed about what my new foal will turn into because... I'm not that fussy ;) )