Irish Sport Horse Breeders/Dealers

superpony

Visit site
Come spring I may be looking for a new horse. I am looking for something 3-5 years old to do BE90/100 eventing and dressage. I am fairly experienced but I do work full time so don't want anything too sharp or a 'professionals' sort of horse! I am only wanting to pay mid four figures but I am more than happy to put the work in or buy something unbroken.
I would also be up for a trip to Ireland! Needs to be 15.3hh+ as I am fairly tall (5'9).

Can anyone recommend any breeders (would prefer to buy directly from them ideally) or dealers? I am based in Derbyshire but will travel. I know about Irish Horse Imports and I am keeping an eye on their website.

Squeak

Visit site
For what you're looking for I'd recommend Irish Horse Imports. They don't advertise everything they have on their website. You need to ring them and find out when they're going to one of the Irish sales (Goresbridge etc.) and be there at 7am the day that they're first showing the horses they've just bought. They can have about 30 horses in so you can see a lot in one go.

It's not the usual buying experience though so you do have to have a clear idea of what you are looking at and what you want. If you want to try a horse multiple times before buying then it wouldn't suit.

superpony

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Lots of helpful ideas. Squeak - they were on my potential list and sound perfect! I try once and can make my mind up straight away. Are they happy for vettings etc?

Squeak

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Lots of helpful ideas. Squeak - they were on my potential list and sound perfect! I try once and can make my mind up straight away. Are they happy for vettings etc?
i

They have a vetting from the sales so theoretically you don’t need one but you can also get them vetted in the two week warranty and if they fail they’d take them back.

I live close enough that this was a good option for me as I would rather my vet did it so I didn’t ask about vetting on their premises.

Annagain

Visit site
I'll pm you the name of the person I bought Charlie from. She's near Portsmouth so it would be quite a drive for you but she is very honest and has some lovely horses in. She's just starting out as a dealer so building her reputation is really important to her. She won't encourage you to drive miles to see one that isn't right for you. Long story short, I saw one with her who was lovely but circumstances meant I didn't get him. After that, she kept in touch and would occasionally text to say she had one she thought would suit but a day or two later she'd message back saying "ridden this one a bit more and he's not the one you want." Then she messaged me and told me to get down there to see Charlie as her was the one for me - and she was right! She has good contacts in Ireland and gets lovely horses in. They're not cheap but they're lovely horses.