Irish Sport Horses

GSD Woman

Visit site
I hope this is the correct forum for this question. There is an eventer about a 2 hour drive from me that has TBs and ISHs. She has an opinion piece on what makes an ISH. She thinks that for a true ISH you need to cross TB with ID and not use warmbloods in the breeding. What do you all think about this?

be positive

Visit site
ISH is a type so as long as the foal is eligible for registration, registered dam and approved stallion, it can be a mix of almost any breeds or types, mine is by a Selle Francais stallion out of a mare that was the more traditional tb x id,

The ISH is by definition a warmblood, hotblood, the tb x cold blood, the id, which makes the statement a bit pointless but I do see why many would prefer to keep it to traditional bloodlines.

ahml100

Visit site
There is a push for what is being described as a Traditional Irish Sport Horse (TIH) which is the IDxTB mix.
Many people are now sharing the view that these horses are the true Irish horses and I believe, though please correct me if I am wrong, there is a separate register for them but still combined with the ISH register.

I know when I look for horses I look for the TIH and count Those as the true Irish horse.

just found this link https://www.horsesportireland.ie/breeding/traditional-irish-horse-tih-category/which has all the information

GSD Woman

Visit site
Many people are now sharing the view that these horses are the true Irish horses and I believe, though please correct me if I am wrong, there is a separate register for them but still combined with the ISH register.

I know when I look for horses I look for the TIH and count Those as the true Irish horse.

just found this link https://www.horsesportireland.ie/breeding/traditional-irish-horse-tih-category/which has all the information[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. When I dream of buying an ISH I'll need to change that to a TIH. Yeah, and when I win the lottery I'll fly to the UK to buy one. ;)

still standing

Visit site
What she is referring to is the Traditional Irish Horse, where the breeding is ID xTB. As you have linked, Horse Sport Ireland have now started to differentiate those from the Irish Sport Horse, because so many of the ISH now include WB crosses BUT as long as they were bred in Ireland, could be called Irish Sport Horses. I have two of these registered ISH, one is a Hanoverian (with some SelleFrancais) x TB and my new mare is KWPN x TB. not a bit of Irish in either of them!

Mule

Visit site
I agree with you about the traditional horse. I know a breeder who was one of many that put a lot of effort in to getting the TIH category recognised. The fear is that the ish will become one of many warmblood studbooks and the breed risks losing the temperament and soundness of the tb x ID cross.
There is a push for what is being described as a Traditional Irish Sport Horse (TIH) which is the IDxTB mix.

just found this link https://www.horsesportireland.ie/breeding/traditional-irish-horse-tih-category/which has all the information

Last edited:

sywell

Visit site
Some years ago an Irish dealer bought some warmbloods at auction and threw the passports away and when asked why he said he couls sell Irish horses of no known breeding but not Warmbloods. There have ben changes at the top of the Irish Studbooks and I hope we do not see examples like the event horse Red Baron ridden by Zara compete as a horse of no known breeding with an Irish Showjumping Passport that was sold to Ireland as a pink papered Hanoverian passport.

Kat

Visit site
My ISH is KWPN x TB not what I was expecting when I went to see and ISH but she's fab so it doesn't matter.

If you want an ID x TB you need to look for an IDSH rather than an ISH.

Violet

Visit site
Some years ago an Irish dealer bought some warmbloods at auction and threw the passports away and when asked why he said he couls sell Irish horses of no known breeding but not Warmbloods. There have ben changes at the top of the Irish Studbooks and I hope we do not see examples like the event horse Red Baron ridden by Zara compete as a horse of no known breeding with an Irish Showjumping Passport that was sold to Ireland as a pink papered Hanoverian passport.

Yes, much easier to sell an ISH with unknown breeding than a registered warmblood.

"Red Baron" registered as "Meister" (BHHS) born 1996 by Medoc (Hanoverian) ex Lucinda by Luciano (Hanoverian) bred by Ros Broadbank in England. A Grade 1 eventer.

MuddyPonies

New User
Visit site
If you want a good TIH, go to the home of them which is Ireland, not the UK. Hope you get your special one some day!

Thanks for the link. When I dream of buying an ISH I'll need to change that to a TIH. Yeah, and when I win the lottery I'll fly to the UK to buy one. ;)[/QUOTE]

MuddyPonies

New User
Visit site
My ISH is KWPN x TB not what I was expecting when I went to see and ISH but she's fab so it doesn't matter.

If you want an ID x TB you need to look for an IDSH rather than an ISH.

I think IDSH seems to be a more common abbreviation in America. Definitely in Ireland they are being advertised as TIH now this last while.

I agree with you too, it's the horse itself that counts mainly - as they say, you can't ride papers!

oldie48

Visit site
I think it depends what you want to do with the horse. We had a Ricardo Z gelding, the mare was mainly TB but had some ID in her breeding. Moved like a dream, jumped like a stag but was a little on the heavy side for an advanced eventer, def would have struggled with the time. super kind temperament and a real looker, would have made a great working hunter. I like to buy with the job in mind rather than settling on a particular breed.