Irish sports horse growth?

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
Hello,

Long time lurker of the forum but I've finally decided to join ☺️

Just curious as to how much your ISH X's have grown from the age of 3/4?

I have just purchased a lovely mare but she's only stood at about 15.1 at 3 (July foal) am I being unrealistic hoping she will make another hand? She is fairly level at the moment and carrying some winter weight ?

Thank you

Nicnac

Visit site
Bought at 4 around 15.1 and a bit, now 14 and a good 16hh. Chunked out a lot too so looks bigger and my 1m79 daughter with 36" inner legs never looked big on him. I look small on him and I'm not!

Annagain

Visit site
I bought a 16.1 6yr old ID 15months ago. He's now 17hh and under strict instructions to stop growing immediately. He's still a bit bum high though so I suspect the message hasn't got through.

LegOn

Visit site
If its got ID blood in the that ISH X mix, then yes - you can expect them to be a tank at 8 or 9 and grow a couple of inches!

My ID cross was barely 15.2 at 5 and is now about 16.1 at 9 (although officially 158!) and filled out ALOT!

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I bought my ISH - Connie/ID/TB mare as a very scrawny 3 year old standing at 14.3.

She's 11 now and a well built 15.3.

Think she's finished growing ???

Hopelessly horsey

Visit site
If its got ID blood in the that ISH X mix, then yes - you can expect them to be a tank at 8 or 9 and grow a couple of inches!

My ID cross was barely 15.2 at 5 and is now about 16.1 at 9 (although officially 158!) and filled out ALOT!

Yes the sire is ISHx warmblood some ID in a few gens back (not sure on damline)

Waxwing

Visit site
We bought in 15.2 ISH in May a couple weeks before her fifth birthday; she had no withers to speak of at the time and was definitely bum high. She now has withers and her saddle was refitted for the third time this week but she is still in a wide gullet; she is about two thirds ID and is quite fine a present but I suspect will fill out somewhat. I am 5ft 10 so happy for to grow a bit; my daughter who also rides her is 5ft 4 so would prefer her not to get too much bigger. We looked at rising 4 ID earlier in the year who was already over 16hh and we felt that she would eventually be to big as my daughter is unlikely to get much taller. I would be happy if our mare reaches 16.1 and fills out a bit.

rextherobber

Visit site
Agree with the above....I bought a scrawny ISH, 15.1 hh 4 year old, I now have a very Draughty 16.3hh 12 year old. Most of that happened between the age 8-10.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Charlie Horse was barely 16hh at 5. 16.3 by 7.

My new one is similar, almost 16hh at 4. I was hoping he wouldn't grow too much as he is simply perfect! He is such a nice nature, I'm sure size won't be an issue though.