Irish sports horse X Warmblood characteristics?

Bullseye99

Visit site
Irish sports horse X Warmblood characteristics?
Where do they excel?
What are they like?
Are they well natured?
Has anyone got one/ridden one?
Are they usually eventers?
Thanks

Wundahorse

Visit site
The grey horse in my avatar is one.Out of a WB mare by a sport horse stallion called Golden River. Lovely horse who is easy to do,non complicated but sometimes thinks he knows better.Very clever and a bit of a Houdini.Also greedy and i have to glue everything down,otherwise he is so inquisitive that he pulls everything up or down.

Visit site
A little different but my boy is by Cavalier Two for Joy who is an ISH. His grandad is a Warmblood though, so still has both ISH and Warmblood in him. His mum is a Connemara though! He is a fantastic all-round horse, who loves his work. He has a lovely temperament, and tries his best in everything he does. He is proving talented both jumping and on the flat. He has taken a long time to mature (had him nearly six years) and is a sensitive soul. Can be sharp and spooky, and is a definite one to one horse. That said, he hasn't got a nasty bone in body and will try his heart out for you. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

flurryjuno

Visit site
The warmblood characteristics usually outshine the sport horses (well the ones I know anyway), they're all lovely natures very simple however VERY smart, almost too smart for their own good. Everything has to be investigated, do something wrong and they'll remember longer than if you do something right so not the kind of horse you want to mess up however they're all lovely animals, the ones I know go from eventing/show jumping to pleasure rides but I think it really depends on what you do with them:)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I've got one that is 1/4 warmblood and 3/4 ISH. He is a lovely horse. Very nice looking, but hasn't got the round bottom of a real ISH. Not as generous as my IDxTB, but has nicer paces. He is thick as pig muck though, doesn't have the usual irish sense that I have had in all previous ISH types. He could affiliate at any discipline, but if you let his lazy side come through, is a nice easy ride for novices. My stepson went off a 13.2 schoolmaster onto him (he is 17h).

oldie48

Visit site
We had a Ricardo Z gelding, reg ISH who was WBxTB. he was bred for eventing, fab paces, would jump the moon but not the brightest horse! I'm told in Ireland they call Ricardo Z, Retardo Z! Lovely person though and very handsome. Frankly I think it's too broad a spectrum to call, you need to look at the stallion and the mare and even then the progeny might be quite different!

only_me

Visit site
They are all usually very different - it just depends on breeding!

An traditional ISH is a IDxtb, but in reality it can be anything :) a lot of ISH are warmblood crossed anyways - especially the jumping and dressage ones.

Don't forget though that ISH and Warmblood are umbrella terms and can wildly varying types - one on yard is short, fat and naughty, the other is tall, light built and easiest to deal with. Both like chalk and cheese!

Basically what I am saying is that an ISHxWB could quite literally be anything! They could be as sharp and as tricky as the best of them or they could be dopes on a rope, could jump the moon or not leave the floor :p

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
My mare was sired by a KWPN stallion and dam is ISH. She's very bright, sharp and was really designed to show jump but with me she's basically just for hacking... except she won't hack alone. So at the moment her main job is grazing. :p She's a super horse but totally wasted with me and I over horsed myself. Despite being difficult and somewhat unpredictable, she has a nice nature (with people, other horses, dogs etc.) and is quite a tough cookie... lives out all year round, never sick or sorry. From my experience I would say great horses in the right hands.

redfoxhunter

Visit site
My avatar is one.

He is VERY inquisitive, nothing stays where I left it. He's genuine, kind and so honest. He learns very quickly. He can be a bit lazy, and is very spooky.

Most I have met have been very sweet natured.

Asha

Visit site
my 5YO homebred is IDxTB ( dam) KWPN ( sire)

hes amazing, much more generous than our other 5 YO who is full KWPN. Learns quickly, no malice and not what i would call sharp. Hes not too spooky. The lady who competes him can school/jump him and hes all fired up. Then i can get on straight away and he turns into super chill mode. I can hack him out and canter him around the fields. You would have to really upset him to get him to do something naughty

I did jump him as a 4 YO, but not anymore as he does jump big, and i know id fall off.

he's that nice, we are trying for a full sibling

Chottsy

Visit site
My lovely beast is a Warmblood x Irish Tb. So I guess it kinda makes him a ISH himself but for him it is more the stereotypical Warmblood that shines through apart from his teeny tiny dainty head! (Defo the Warmblood belly atm though)

Anyone can handle him on the ground and riding wise he's a sweetheart. Not quite a Novice ride as he gains his confidence from the rider and can spook a little if your leg isn't on (at the obviously terrifying things like the haynets and the grader for the school that are there everyday! ) My novicey mum can do anything with him on the ground and has been learning to tack up with him as he's so easy.

He was an eventer albeit not very successfully a few years ago, way before I bought him!

Not exactly what you asked but any excuse to talk about my superstar! :)

Autumn sonnet

Visit site
My newest boy is ISH x Belgian warmblood . Cost me a pound as his last owner couldn't deal with his bad habits , which the old owner had basically let him learn . Very VERY clever indeed . Let him get away with something once and that's another bad habit learned . Incredibly inquisitive , always looking at what people are doing , will follow you round the field if you're doing paddock work - in fact he spent last summer handing husband his hammer when he was fencing . In fact if he was a dog he'd be a collie . Always much much better behaved when all that excess brain is being channelled somewhere . But very very confident , and full of self esteem . In fact just full of himself , full stop . It's taking us a while , but he's coming along , the bad habits are going , and I think he's going to be really something .

kc100

Visit site
Just bought myself a baby one - sire is British Warmblood (dressage stallion competing Inter 1) and dam is ISH with King of Diamond bloodlines. He is officially registered as a British Sports Horse with the British Warmblood society.

Now he is a yearling, and I've only had him a week so still very early days but I am so impressed with his nature and attitude - as a lot of other people have said, SUPER inquisitive and very brave. He's never been handled much before I got him but he's been a superstar, very willing to learn, brave enough to cope with whatever I've asked of him (teaching him to tie up, leading up the long path from the field, having a rug on for the first time etc). He loves people and having a good scratch, nothing is scary enough to distract him from eating - I think he's going to be a fatty, just loves a haynet!

Stunning paces, great hock action from the dam's side and then the beautiful elevation from the sire's WB influence.

Think he's going to be a giant though - he's already the same size as a 2 year old on our yard who is supposed to make 16.2!

His breeding was the biggest attraction for me, I want something with the paces to go reasonably far in dressage but also something who can be an all-rounder and do a bit of everything. He is my forever horse so I want something sane enough to have fun with, but also to be a serious competition horse and work our way up the levels in dressage (providing of course he likes dressage when he grows up!).

He is so brave I imagine he's going to be very well suited to eventing so I might just have to take up a new discipline!