Irish TB's

Parkranger

Visit site
After reading the post on TB's (pro's and Con's) I notice that a few of us have Irish TB's......be interested to hear your stories and see pics!!! I am new to the breed but totally smitten now - is there a club or anything for people who own them?

StinkerStonks.......no comments about CB please......
grin.gif

kirstyfk

Visit site
My dad has a IDxTB the TB is Primo Pageant who now stands in Ireland. Does that count? I posted some photos of us doing desssage in picture gallery a few weeks ago.

KatB

Visit site
Mines been described as an Irish Tb before..... Don't think is quite accurate, but he is Irish, and does have a tb head... does that count!??

Parkranger

Visit site
I think that most Irish TB's have an element of ID in them somewhere - hence the lovely heads they have.....no pin heads allowed!

SSM - don't get me started
tongue.gif

KatB

Visit site
Pit pony?!!

No, TBH havent a clue, am trying to trace history, but not having much success!! He's an odd little horse because he definitely has a high quantirty of TB, but also has alot of bone.... some cobby in there somewhere!!

Sorry highjacked post slightly....
blush.gif
But he has been called Irish TB by a vet before!!

kirstyfk

Visit site
I rode a lovely little coloured cob a few years ago for a family in my pony club but the lady who they had bought him from said he was TB x Connemarra!

Parkranger

Visit site
My boy isn't registered but on his passport he's a TBx - I think alot of them are called that. He's got good bone but there's no way he's got much of anything else in him - I'd say he's probably 7/8 TB which is what alot of the Irish seem to be...think it's another word for Irish sports horse etc...!

He came over from Ireland early this year and most people are of the opinion that he's raced.....

Look at this: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:EVr...t=clnk&cd=1 that picture doesn't look like a chestnut or bay to me - think they've been mixing up the breeding for years - maybe a cob throw back in your boy but he certainly doesn't look very chunky!

KatB

Visit site
Lol!! Surprises me NOT at all, although in some cases the colour comes from so far back it can be almost true, but TBxCOnne would be a difficult one to get the colour....

I've got a friend who has a coloured colt who IS full bred enough to be TB....

KatB

Visit site
Hmm, yes really wouldnt surprise me! We think his Daddy was the coloured one, so TBx with some "colour" in there somewhere, and mummy was probably Tb or very close.
My friends hrse has a TB dad, and a mum by Nearly a nose (TB stallion) but a half TB mum, and her horse is coloured and could race.

Another friend has a full irish TB who has raced, and he is a proper chunky TB, but is gorgeous, very laid back, but def TB traits when gets excited. It is amazing how much they can vary, but still be TB's....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I dont think you can really separate an 'irish' tb from the rest. The old fashoined types with plenty of bone are the ones which have a lot of local blood in their pedigree, ie english or irish.
The problem nowadays is that a lot of horses have a load of crap american pedigrees, even if they have (IRE) after their names. These are the ones with no bone and flimsy manes and tails.
If you go to the races and look at National Hunt bumpers you will find a lot of English bred horses are very sturdy types. However, if you look on the flat you will find a lot of flimsy rubbish - if you look at their pedigree the dam is probably of american origin (even if she is (Ire) or blank).

Parkranger

Visit site
No - can't see any conne in him at all! Mangobiscuit has a Conne x TB and you'd prob only tell by his head....and the fact that he's naughty like a pony!

charlotte1

Visit site
There's nothing wrong with American TB's, my horse's sire has (USA) after his name, and for a TB she has the most amazing paces, and really good confirmation, compared to a lot of the the Irish and english ones.

Parkranger

Visit site
I definately prefer the thicker set ones - mainly because they tend to have a chunkier head.....the lighter ones look lovely though but I think my big butt needs something a bit sturdier to carry it.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wasnt trying to imply there was anything wrong with american bred Tbs, I have 10. Simply that they are resposible for the flimsier type of tb that are seen about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and I don't agree with the above statement. Having worked over there and seen first hand a lot of the families (horse), some do tend to produce the fast, 2yo's, (tend to have backsides from here to next month), some consistently produced BIG rangey horses. Look at the sire Pleasant Colony, he won the Kentucky Derby in 1981, as well as the Preakness and came 3rd in the Blemont Stakes (all 3 races make the American Triple Crown). He was an immense horse, a good 17hh, with about 9+ inches of bone. He sired many, many horses that were the spit of him and were also Champions on the track. His sons and daughters continue to produce the goods. Seattle Slew (won the American Triple Crown in 1977) was a chunky monkey too. Not as tall as PC, but Slew sure had plenty of bone and he also was a huge success in the breeding sheds and his sons, daughters and grandkids continue to produce tough racehorses with plenty of bone.

Though I agree whole heartedly about not really being able to differentiate between an English/Irish TB!

fairhill

Visit site
Is it only me that's confused by the use of the term 'irish TB'?It seems to mean Irish X TB to some people, and a pure TB bred in Ireland to others...
Slightly off topic - was Northern Dancer a USA TB?

kirstyfk

Visit site
Just to let you know - I was joking about him having any conne in him! But his old owner also said that he liked listening to classical music, i think i converted him to radio 1

glenruby

Visit site
My initial impression when I arrived in the US was that the TBs were MASSIVE compared to those at home. Every one was well built and the Storm Cats in particular were monsters with really powerful backends, right from birth. Take a clook at the photo of full sister to Giants Causeway i posted - she had the biggest rear Id ever seen on ANY foal - TB or sporthorse.

plus, after seeing and looking into pedigrres over ther, most of the stallions I thought were of irish or British origin do infact trace back to US stallions. Vicjp seems to just be saying the National hunt TBs are the more substantial type - which is often true, but Irish Tbs are reknowned for their resiliance, power and stamina.