Irresponsible Owners

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
What amazes me is that they were in possession of an illegally cropped dog, which has killed someone and thus is a dangerous dog. Why on earth were they able to keep the other dogs in the household without any ramification or second thought at all?! Although looking at the owners, I am not one bit surprised that they felt they had to own a status dog. I don't think the dog looks horrible, just awfully mutilated and mis-trained clearly - not to mention obviously bred for colour. Poor thing.
And yes, I know that it's not illegal to import cropped dogs, but it should be.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Goose was attacked today by an off lead Belgian Malinois. Apparently it's been attacked by another dog and has since been funny with other dogs. I have a lot of sympathy, this is the same story as Zak, but we kept him away from other dogs. My OH just rang to tell me. He's on late shift this week so I don't see him unless he's sleeping. He said there was lots of squealing, he ran at the dog shouting.

Goose seems fine and knowing him, won't be bothered, his love for other dogs will never die, but I'm already wary of GSDs and Malinois after some unfortunate encounters over the years. I hope he is more resilient than Zak and doesn't 'turn'.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Oh CT, that’s awful. Hope there’s no lasting effects. Why was it (the mal) off lead? ?

The owner said it used to be fine. Well it’s bloody well not now, is it? Tosser. He needs to change his management of the dog. Goose is still so little. ? I’m so cross. He seems fine, no bite marks, running round like a lunatic as usual as evidenced in the photo thread.

I’m sympathetic, honestly I am, if a dog got in Zak’s face, there would be a problem, but I’d leave the park if I saw a dog I know would be in his face. Our whole time out with him was thinking ahead and keeping other dogs safe. It’s half term next week, so I’ll be walking in the woods. The bit I go to isn’t full of other dogs. Hopefully we can have relaxing walks.

scats

Visit site
Man with Rottweiler, who I have complained about on here before, let his JR chase my yard cat the other day. Off lead on the yard (public footpath) and cat disappeared afterwards and I had to go home having not seen her. Man was also almost pulled over, again, by Rottie. He ‘jokingly’ blames me for getting the cat and trying to have him ‘killed’ everyday when the Rottie pulls to get the cat. In this instance he’d let the JR off lead and it ran after my cat, so Rottie went to follow and man nearly ended up on the floor.

When I expressed concern about my cat being chased by his off lead JR, he told me the dog is as slow as a tortoise and won’t catch her. Oh, so that’s ok then. My cat running frightened in her own home.

He then told me that the Rottie had broken two leads in the last few weeks and got away from him. Great. It’s a sweet dog but totally out of control and leaps all over you and mouths your arms and hands.
He also trespasses on the private land of our yard but just argues when you tell him and says he’s walked it for years and he can do what he likes.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Man with Rottweiler, who I have complained about on here before, let his JR chase my yard cat the other day. Off lead on the yard (public footpath) and cat disappeared afterwards and I had to go home having not seen her. Man was also almost pulled over, again, by Rottie. He ‘jokingly’ blames me for getting the cat and trying to have him ‘killed’ everyday when the Rottie pulls to get the cat. In this instance he’d let the JR off lead and it ran after my cat, so Rottie went to follow and man nearly ended up on the floor.

When I expressed concern about my cat being chased by his off lead JR, he told me the dog is as slow as a tortoise and won’t catch her. Oh, so that’s ok then. My cat running frightened in her own home.

He then told me that the Rottie had broken two leads in the last few weeks and got away from him. Great. It’s a sweet dog but totally out of control and leaps all over you and mouths your arms and hands.
He also trespasses on the private land of our yard but just argues when you tell him and says he’s walked it for years and he can do what he likes.
Do either of his dogs every get in with stock(including horses)? If so, then report him to the police, as its an offence to allow out of control dogs to worry stock.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Idle musing really but I was having a scroll through the Dogs Trust yesterday (I'm not targeting them, that's just who I looked at) and they had a few dogs with very specific management needs, for example a 2yo Cane Corso that had a muzzle agreement requirement, a Doberman that was strictly no children as it reacted badly to being roused when sleeping and a couple of American Bulldogs who were known not dog friendly, or nervous of strangers in the house and thus they said the dog needed to be walked in quiet areas and strangers introduced to the dog specifically.

I was wondering whether it's the socially responsible thing to do to rehome these dogs rather than PTS - and I don't mean this based on breed, but the dog behaviour. I saw a chow chow and several Shar Pei's with nervous personality descriptions, and whilst I know they do their best, you cannot guarantee that people will always be as knowledgable as they seem, or will micro manage and not become complacent. They have hundreds and hundreds of dogs that need good homes, I think there needs to be some more scrutiny as to what dogs will be able to make good pets with the average owner.

I also noticed a huge amount of 1-2 year old dogs of very expensive breeding on there where the description basically outlined a dog who cannot cope with life, being left alone or change - we are definitely seeing the outcome of the Covid morons already. Some of these dogs would have been £4000+ during lockdown..

Caol Ila

Visit site
Idle musing really but I was having a scroll through the Dogs Trust yesterday (I'm not targeting them, that's just who I looked at) and they had a few dogs with very specific management needs, for example a 2yo Cane Corso that had a muzzle agreement requirement, a Doberman that was strictly no children as it reacted badly to being roused when sleeping and a couple of American Bulldogs who were known not dog friendly, or nervous of strangers in the house and thus they said the dog needed to be walked in quiet areas and strangers introduced to the dog specifically.

I was wondering whether it's the socially responsible thing to do to rehome these dogs rather than PTS - and I don't mean this based on breed, but the dog behaviour. I saw a chow chow and several Shar Pei's with nervous personality descriptions, and whilst I know they do their best, you cannot guarantee that people will always be as knowledgable as they seem, or will micro manage and not become complacent. They have hundreds and hundreds of dogs that need good homes, I think there needs to be some more scrutiny as to what dogs will be able to make good pets with the average owner.

I also noticed a huge amount of 1-2 year old dogs of very expensive breeding on there where the description basically outlined a dog who cannot cope with life, being left alone or change - we are definitely seeing the outcome of the Covid morons already. Some of these dogs would have been £4000+ during lockdown..

I just had an idle scroll through the Glasgow Dog's Trust site, and it seems as though over half the dogs require a garden with a 5 or 6ft fence, no children in the house, and they specify that it should be walked on-lead and muzzled, preferably in "dog-free" areas. Who can rehome these dogs? This is a city of 1.2 million people, most of whom live in flats, and most of the local parks are pretty busy with other dogs.

Last year, a friend was thinking of getting a dog and we were scrolling through the rescue sites together. There weren't as many dogs who needed to be muzzled in public. People's poorly socialized lockdown animals are piling up at the rescues.

Clodagh

Visit site

They should be pts. I actually agree with the US and Australian rehoming policy of behaviour test and if in doubt it’s pts. Yes it’s sad but not anywhere near as sad as if they kill someone’s pet or, heaven forbid, a person. I suspect it’s an unpopular view on here though!

Archangel

Visit site
I suspect it’s an unpopular view on here though!

Not with me, I am meeting quite a few dogs now that look like they should be guarding sheep in the Carpathian Mountains. The most recent appeared out of nowhere to chase me on my bike. I tried to get off the bike but it was right on top of me and I am not sure how that would have ended had my dog not appeared out of the trees and body slammed it so hard it ran off.

smolmaus

Visit site
I agree there are enough homeless dogs that the effort would be better spent finding homes for the ones without major behavioural issues. Putting a dog to sleep that finds it difficult or impossible to function in a normal family home is sad but so is living in a kennel for years, or being bounced around homes that think they can cope, and the dog will change... until the dog is there and they have to actually deal with the problem and can't.

Plenty of well meaning people would howl and scream at the thought of a young and healthy dog being put down by a rescue but wouldn't take the time and resources to make their home fit. They just think someone else should do it.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I agree there are enough homeless dogs that the effort would be better spent finding homes for the ones without major behavioural issues. Putting a dog to sleep that finds it difficult or impossible to function in a normal family home is sad but so is living in a kennel for years, or being bounced around homes that think they can cope, and the dog will change... until the dog is there and they have to actually deal with the problem and can't.

Plenty of well meaning people would howl and scream at the thought of a young and healthy dog being put down by a rescue but wouldn't take the time and resources to make their home fit. They just think someone else should do it.

Agree, I'm also going to say that a dog that cannot cope with life/change to the level that some of these dogs can't (as per the decription on their profile thing) isn't and won't ever be a truly happy dog. It is living a constant state of fear/anxiety, even if managed as you can't remove all triggers forever.

Nasicus

Visit site
They should be pts. I actually agree with the US and Australian rehoming policy of behaviour test and if in doubt it’s pts. Yes it’s sad but not anywhere near as sad as if they kill someone’s pet or, heaven forbid, a person. I suspect it’s an unpopular view on here though!
Unfortunately due to the amount of 'rescues' in the US pulling dangerous dogs out of the pounds, it's becoming more and more common for these PTS candidates to be allowed into inexperienced peoples homes, and out into the world. Usually of a certain type and breed too... The 'save them all' mentality is pervasive and detrimental.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Agree, I'm also going to say that a dog that cannot cope with life/change to the level that some of these dogs can't (as per the decription on their profile thing) isn't and won't ever be a truly happy dog. It is living a constant state of fear/anxiety, even if managed as you can't remove all triggers forever.

This

And this.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just been commenting on a Facebook group photo of a dog carrying a snail in his mouth and loads of people agreeing about them being a tasty snack for their dogs and me being a worry wart over nothing when I mentioned lungworm....

OMG! My parents dog made herself quite ill crunching snails before she could be stopped from doing so, nothing to do with lungworm, they poisoned her, according to the vet.

scats

Visit site
Do either of his dogs every get in with stock(including horses)? If so, then report him to the police, as its an offence to allow out of control dogs to worry stock.

Fortunately no, or at least not that I’ve seen. He does have to pass my fields quite close and then the footpath runs through my friends field but he does put the dogs on lead then.

stangs

Visit site
Just been commenting on a Facebook group photo of a dog carrying a snail in his mouth and loads of people agreeing about them being a tasty snack for their dogs and me being a worry wart over nothing when I mentioned lungworm....
The dangers for the dog aside, what happened to not letting pet dogs injure/kill wildlife? Completely irresponsible, liable to escalate, and shouldn’t constitute as a dog being under control imo.

Clodagh

Visit site
The dangers for the dog aside, what happened to not letting pet dogs injure/kill wildlife? Completely irresponsible, liable to escalate, and shouldn’t constitute as a dog being under control imo.
Well it might be in their garden!?
Scout used to eat snails, it was a scramble to stop him. Thankfully he seems to have grown out of it.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com

I do let Luna (husky) kill the mixy rabbits at the field. Do my absolute best not to just let her kill Willy Nilly though.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I'm sure all of mine have crunched up snails, much to my horror. I panicked about lungworm. Dunno how they all survived! Given I used to put down pellets/salt for slugs/snails before I had dogs, I can't be too bothered re them being killed.

They've all caught birds in the garden. Brig went through a phase of bringing me a mangled pigeon (that he'd somehow caught) every time we went to the park. I was wrestling one one off him and wrangling Zak who promptly picked it up when another dog walker went past looking properly horrified.

My fil's dog used to fetch ducks from a far flung pond when we took him out. They never appeared harmed so were let go.

Last edited: