Is 14 too old?

hannah9000

Visit site
I met a gelding last night, ex racer, very gentle temperament, last raced Oct 09. He's 14. I wonder if he's too old to do a few years eventing with me? I don't want to damage him, and if he can do a few years with me competing he'll retire as a happy hacker for my mum. He is so genuine I feel silly passing him up but I don't want to break him if he's too old to event. Opinions please?!

lillith

Visit site
My friends 3/4TB/ID was (low level) eventing untill he was 18 then sustained a SERIOUS injury in the field and is now back in work after nearly a year off and 6 months back in work in decided to jump the gate out of the field and is scoring well on dressage tests. He wont be jumping officialy under saddle for a while but as long as he is shiny, enthusiastic, sound and forward she will continue to do whatever he is happy to do with him.

So no, I really don't think 14 is too old bearing in mind the afforementioned horse was bought at about 12, severely overweight and done pretty much nothing.

As long as the horse vets sound (I'd do x-rays considering his racing past) then go for it :)

reindeerlover

Visit site
What level do you intend to do? Is he already reschooled? Generally I don't think 14 is too old but it really depends on the horse and also how hard he was raced.

Last edited:

Starzaan

Visit site
My big lad is 24 and still hunts twice a week in winter, and competes all summer. Go for it - he was 18 when I got him, and he's got more and more silly with age. We do a lot of cantering sideways and pawing the ground! I do have to be careful with him, in that he has spavins, and one stiff leg, so he gets "No-Bute" in every feed which has made a HUGE difference, and he gets one sachet of bute before and after hunting. I also don't push him too hard, I know that he'll hunt all day on adrenaline, so I have to call time when I feel he's done enough.
Apart from that, we do everything that anyone else can do, so I'd say go for it!

pinklilly

Visit site
I would think it's down to the individual horse, whether he has had injuries in his racing career, how much racing he has done etc and also what level you are wanting to do. I have seen horses point-to-pointing as a schoolmaster at 16 and horses hunting in their 20,s. Then again you get younger horses that need an easier life so not really something you can generalise on.

inkiboo

Visit site
There were at least 3 17 year olds that went round Badminton this year... There's an article in this week's mag about care of the older horse

Echo Bravo

Visit site
young yet, many horses compete into their late teens. I'ts like telling a 60 year old (me) time for the nursing home, when there's still plenty of life and energy yet.:D:D:D:D:D

D

Donkeymad

If the horse is healthy with no injuries that would affect him, then fourteen is far from too old.