Is 15yrs really too old ??

ghost&secret

Visit site
I have two wonderful ponies for sale and they are 15yrs and 16yrs. Both are fab, fit, clipped - have lots of experiance, hacks out beautifully - 100% in traffic, clip, shoe, box etc ............you get the picture yet eveyone that has expressed an interest have then finally dismissed them on age !

Is 15yrs really that old ?

Inchy

Visit site
Lots of people are happy to buy older ones, i've never struggled to sell anything that was a bit older - particularly ponies! Have you put their age on the advert and priced accordly?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ha hahaha!!! If that is old then all the horses on my yard are the walking, ridden dead!

That is at the prime IMO!!! I'd buy a 15/16yo - but it would depend on what they had done... you should remember that the best horses competeing are winning medal after medal at that age... too tired to remember ALL of them but Badminton is full of 15/16 yo's...

I'm about to take one on older than that.

I suppose they are just looking for something younger.. to "bring on" maybe... who knows. The right person will come.

mirage

Visit site
No,I actively seek out older ponies.Our current one is 20 and acts like a 7 year old [not always in a good way either].Can you advertise them as confidence givers? How high are they? People are always looking for those and they can be sought after.We are hoping to have a 17 year old on trial this week and are going to see an 18 year old too,in case this one doesn't work out.

Good luck,

ghost&secret

Visit site
Lots of people are happy to buy older ones, i've never struggled to sell anything that was a bit older - particularly ponies! Have you put their age on the advert and priced accordly?

Yes have been 110% honest - have put age and both are advertised for £2000 both with extensive wardrobes and quality English tack.

They have XC SJ and PC - have hacked out with Kids and adults etc - not too sure what else to do !! - Ideas anyone ??

Edited : both are 14.1hh

charlimouse

Visit site
I have just sold my 15yo event horse, so there are people out there looking for older horses/ponies. Are the photo's on the advert good, and where are they advertised?

AngieandBen

Visit site
Not at all, I bought my pony at 18! he's nearly 21 now and is fit as a fiddle. As an older lady I would always buy a more experienced pony and keep them for life :)

I paid £1800 for him too and would have paid more, he has given me the best time and bucket loads of confidence. I love him to pieces :D

shelley8697

Visit site
I would love a 15+ that his fit and healthy. :)

Think of all that training and experience if you get a riding club/competition horse/pony.

I would rather spend my money on that now than a green youngster with all that hard work ahead of you.

I must say though, some of the oldies that I have seen have been unrealistically price when you compare to 8-13 year olds.

ghost&secret

Visit site
Up to date photo's and advertised on local boards etc will go on horsemart next week ......prehaps I have just been unlucky so far, it seems that many of you also appreciate the merits of a few years of experiance.

Prehaps will go and reword and re post !! Thanks

HollyB66

Visit site
Bought my 19 yo 2 years ago aged 17 for £1200, worth every penny and more. If I have to buy another at some point I would be looking for something about 15 yo, I think based on the experience I now have that it is the perfect age for me. I'm not young myself, plus I just want to ride and have fun - so something with experience is ideal. I'd also be looking 14.1 to 14.3, so your 2 sound perfect :) Good luck, I'm sure the right owners are out there.

idx

Visit site
I realise with rugs, tack etc £2000 is a bargain however could you perhaps advertise at a lower price with tack and rugs available via seperate negotiation?

£2k for a 15 year old 14.1hh may sound expensive compared to others on the market. I realise it is not but you dont want people discounting your advert on price so perhaps advertise at a lesser price to get interest? If people dont want your tack you can always sell seperately on ebay.

madeleine1

Visit site
its not old at all. i brough mine at 14 and she was 5000 instead of 6 because she was old. as she had been sold at 11 for 6000.

i just think i could have brought a 4 year old and it had a heart attack at 5 or i can buy a 14 year old and she works till shes 25 and which was the better deal. horses arnt garenteed at any age so i dont care unless they are over 25. especially for ponies as some go on forever

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I have recently bought a fabulous 15yo pony and have just sold our beloved first pony also aged 15. I was worried about buying at that age but posted on here and got loads of reassurance. And he is great! The lady who bought my pony was worried by her age but frankly she is much better behaved now than she was when we bought her age 9!

I am considering an older pony for my other daughter too. She needs a confidence giver having done the "bringing on the youngster" thing.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Idx has a good point. It's the ponies that you need to sell, not the tack, so if you adjust the price accordingly I am sure you will get more interest. I have just bought a 15 y.o so I'm sure age will not put people off!

DougalJ

Visit site
I've got a 16 year old who is now a complete schoolmaster. I would definitely buy at this age horse again...especially as I'm getting on in years...I crave calm! LOL