Is 7 miles to far...

treacle_beastie

Visit site
To hack to a mini ODE?

I'm thinking this is a no go but if I cant get any transport then its my only option - I really want to go!

Its in 14 weeks and my horse is currently not fit enough for the job - can probably hack 3 hours in mainly walk with the odd trot and canter at the mo. Jumping once a week 20 mins, schooling twice a week and hacking weekends.

Will increase the workload to get fitter but do you think this is possible - not forgetting she will have to hack back too after xc. Its only 70cms so not too demanding. Would estimate 4 hours hacking in total.

It would only be 4 miles straight down the road but its a very busy a road and there would be a m/way junction to negotiate too!

Advices welcome.

ScarlettLady

Visit site
I would question whether in 7 weeks you will get the horse fit enough to hack the 7 miles there, do a ode and then hack 7 miles back, depends on the basic fitness level, the level of the ode (distance and expected pace)

I wouldn't, I always used to think, but there's always someones horse less fit than mine at these events, but to be honest last year I was appalled at the lack of fitness of horses, but mainly ponies locally who were eventing and competing in hunter trials (would do 2 rounds at 80/90cm) on a horse who probably only got ridden 3 -4 times a week and either hacked or jumped at home, I was even more disappointed that the PC DC failed to raise this issue with their members at their events!

My horse hacks out for 2-3 hours in walk twice a week and is schooled 3 days a week, and there is no way he would be fit enough for our local 80cm ODE which is in about 6 weeks time, mostly because he winds himself up so much he uses twice the energy. I like to have him out cantering happily over 2miles before eventing.... (and thats only local)
God i sound so negative, sorry :(

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I would question whether in 7 weeks you will get the horse fit enough to hack the 7 miles there, do a ode and then hack 7 miles back, depends on the basic fitness level, the level of the ode (distance and expected pace)

I wouldn't, I always used to think, but there's always someones horse less fit than mine at these events, but to be honest last year I was appalled at the lack of fitness of horses, but mainly ponies locally who were eventing and competing in hunter trials (would do 2 rounds at 80/90cm) on a horse who probably only got ridden 3 -4 times a week and either hacked or jumped at home, I was even more disappointed that the PC DC failed to raise this issue with their members at their events!

My horse hacks out for 2-3 hours in walk twice a week and is schooled 3 days a week, and there is no way he would be fit enough for our local 80cm ODE which is in about 6 weeks time, mostly because he winds himself up so much he uses twice the energy. I like to have him out cantering happily over 2miles before eventing.... (and thats only local)
God i sound so negative, sorry :(

nope dont worry - I welcome your advice. Its in 14 weeks though not 7! Now accurately measured distance at 6 miles. TBH I think it will be pushing it and I will look a right mess by the time we turn up!! I think if I was just doing a round of SJ or a dressage test then would be OK as have done that b4 but to do all 3 might be going one step too far. Will get her fit anyway and hope I can get a lift!

ScarlettLady

Visit site
nope dont worry - I welcome your advice. Its in 14 weeks though not 7! Now accurately measured distance at 6 miles. TBH I think it will be pushing it and I will look a right mess by the time we turn up!! I think if I was just doing a round of SJ or a dressage test then would be OK as have done that b4 but to do all 3 might be going one step too far. Will get her fit anyway and hope I can get a lift!

DUH!!! I saw 7 sorry, would help if i could actually read!!! well in that case, when do the entries close? I would set it as a goal and see what he was like the week of the entries closing...
You can use your hack as a warm up for your dressage test, I've hacked 5 miles to a hunter trial only, and home and he was cool....
Just leave a nice recovery time between your xc and hack home...
See I can be positive :cool:

treacle_beastie

Visit site
more than likely get eliminated on xc anyway if there are ditches! hehe

well I am going to go and do the hack and see what its like as never ventured out that way before and yep will use it as a goal to get us both fit for it - at least of dont go we will be nice and fit for the summer!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Can you put a notice up in a saddlers / feed merchants asking if anyone has space to give you a lift and also contact the organiser so they can put a note on their website if they have one.