Is 7k reasonable or ludicrous for a well bred 5 year old?

billylula

Visit site
Just wondered what everyone thinks.

Has sj up to a metre and has lovely breeding and willing happy personality.

Still seems ££££££££ though

Luce85

Visit site
For me it would depend on the breeding, and results.
I have known 5 years olds triple in price once they reach 6 and upped a few levels!

DollyPentreath

Visit site

oldie48

Visit site
Are you buying or selling? Not clear from your post. I don't think £7K is too much for a well bred, sensible 5 year old which has been brought on correctly and showing real talent for a discipline, particularly if you trust the source and are confident it will be as described. Several years ago we paid a lot more than that for a 5 year old bred to event. He was worth every penny and gave my daughter years of fun. he had talent, looks but most importantly he was as safe as houses, you can't put a value on that.

TheoryX1

Visit site
In my opinion not really. It does depend entirely upon the horse though. I paid into 5 figures and a bit more for my daughter's mare. We bought her a month before her 6th birthday so technically 5. She was beautifully bred from Samber and a beautifully marked coloured, plus her breeder/owner had had her graded with SHGB, and she had come 3rd as a 2 year old at the Pavo young event horse awards. She had also been evented to BE100 by a 4* rider and had overall been beautifully produced. We also knew her whole history as the breeder was our YO, and we are still on the same yard.

Six years down the line she has been well worth the money for the fun my daughter has had. She has taken her from PC eventing to BE Novice eventing and has won at the PC National Champs at dressage and also won at Dressage at Badminton as well. I have had several serious offers to buy her, but she is our pet and well as a competition horse, and will stay with us forever.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
If the 5 year old was clearly talented, then 7k could be reasonable. I personally wouldn't consider an "intro to eventing" talented enough to be worth 7k at five years old, but then I may be misinterpreting what you mean. Most horses can get round a BE80/BE90 course and you don't need to pay 7k to get one. At 5, it is normally quite obvious if the horse will be talented, as long as it has been well produced.

eggs

Visit site
A horse is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To be honest good breeding would only be of interest if it was a mare who I was planning on potentially breeding from once proven in competition. For a gelding I wouldn't pay a premium for good breeding.

Show jumping up to a metre is not exceptional but a good willing personality would be what makes a horse worth the money.

billylula

Visit site
Yes I don't think she is exceptionally talented BUT she is very genuine and honest, lovely looking and incredibly lovely temperament. Her jump is beautiful also. I am talking myself into this :-/

bakewell

Visit site
If this is the horse for you, and you've got £7k, buy the horse. If it's not the horse for you, doesn't matter what the price is.
There's no point trying to quantify the exact worth/ potential return if you're not primarily in it for results, financial or placings wise.

_GG_

Visit site
I don't think it's unreasonable at all to pay that for a quality, well bred youngster. A lot of investment goes into breeding and producing quality young horses so it's right to pay a decent price for a good one and 7K really isn't that much for a good young horse :)

millitiger

Visit site
I'm looking at the moment for something similar (but want talent to go Intermediate+).

My budget is a bit bigger than yours and I'm really struggling to consistently find the quality of horse I want to even bother to go and view.

Fingers crossed I am looking at one this afternoon!

MagicMelon

Visit site
It depends if breeding means that much to you. It means nothing to me if I'm honest, temperament is everything! I've had a very well bred warmblood but he had the worst attitude and was impossible to compete in the end and I've got a warmblood now who has incredible breeding (top Olympic SJ lines throughout) and sold for a lot as a youngster BUT he has dodgy legs and is basically retired as mechanically lame! However, my grey gelding (now retired) had no special breeding at all (Luso breeding on one side and TB racing lines on the other) yet because he had the most wonderful temperament and attitude he took me further competition wise than I ever expected. So really, please don't think breeding means everything. I'm not saying my grey would have ever been capable of Badminton however, whereas its one with the right bloodlines should be but often they are a lot trickier. It really depends what you want to do and to what level. Jumping a metre, isn't anything special IMO although only 5 - to me it sounds pricey but then I've never paid over £4,5k for anything!

eahotson

Visit site
Are you buying or selling? Not clear from your post. I don't think £7K is too much for a well bred, sensible 5 year old which has been brought on correctly and showing real talent for a discipline, particularly if you trust the source and are confident it will be as described. Several years ago we paid a lot more than that for a 5 year old bred to event. He was worth every penny and gave my daughter years of fun. he had talent, looks but most importantly he was as safe as houses, you can't put a value on that.

Illusion100

Visit site
For a well bred, talented, well produced, sound young horse with a good attitude and temperament, no 7k doesn't seem a silly amount at all IMO.

The asking price of my youngster was £6500 at 3 months old due to his breeding and movement but there was no way I was paying that as there are too many ifs with such young horses.

The horse in this case is completely different. The high risk factors are now gone and you have a pretty clear idea of what you are getting. If this is to be a forever horse and you feel you get along well, then I think go for it! :)

Asha

Visit site
I think it is reasonable. As long as it's showing the technique, scope and attitude to jump the higher classes. Personally I'd be put off if at5 it had been out jumping the bigger classes already.

Lolo

Visit site
For some perspective maybe, my sister sold a 6yo who had done a few 80cm ODEs, a few prelim dressage tests, and had seen hounds and was generally a 'nice person' for £5k. He sold within a fortnight of the advert going up and had lots of interest. His breeding was good, though nothing overly special. If he'd been doing 1m I think she could have easily asked for £7k and got it...

Quality horses fetch quality prices.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I was offered 8K for my gypsy cob as a 6 year old... and turned it down -- He is very nice tho... A horse is worth what someone is willing to pay for it... Charlotte Du jardin was riding a 4 year old at the nationals that some one paid 100k for... couldn't see it myself it looked like a little pony to me..

Blitz

kassieg

Visit site
I would happily pay that price for a 5 year old which is showing talent in a discipline

you have to think the amount of money it costs to produce a horse correctly to a decent level, I would always be more willing to pay more for something that has been out eventing doing well as it costs more to produce than a showjumper but if it is a nice horse & you like it then surely it is worth it

Puzzled

Visit site
Depends on the horse. I paid nearly that for a 4 yr old ( no recorded breeding) the best part of 20 years ago. He was an intermediate eventer at 6 and a grade A Showjumper at 7. I still own and compete him ( dressage now, but still very successfully!) in my eyes he was a bargain. Most importantly I still love riding him today as I did then. If the horse suits and you can afford it then the price to me is irrelevant.