Is a 4yo Fell pony likely to grow much more?

Walrus

Visit site
Agree with EKW, height wise probably not too much more but bulk wise definitely, I don't think they really finish maturing until about 8 personally, mine was 4.5 when I got him and has probably gone by an inch absolute max but he's filled or loads. He's rising 9 now.

Walrus

Visit site
Seriously, the width takes up your leg. At 5'1" you could even go for one of the smaller v12.3hh fells that you can get so on a 13.2hh you'll be fine. I'm on my phone or I would post a photo of me on my lad add he's 13.1hh ish and I'm 5'8" with quite long legs and we have no problems, he's not even very wide compared to some fells. Best thing I've ever seen was a girl of 6' with the longest legs give a riding demo on a 13hh fell stallion on a stud, they looked great together and I think had been placed in a hoys qualifier the week before. Honestly, knowing fell ponies I can't even comprehend how someone of 5'1" would be too tall.

Walrus

Visit site
Sorry, I've pinched the iPad off the OH to stick on a couple of photos just to show you what I mean. This is me on my fell:

554098_10151328151375938_1130550589_n.jpg

63c410fc-f1b6-4fbc-af57-a93f4ea9ead6_zps0ee752ad.jpg

jakkibag

Visit site
Mine grew out the way massively between 7-9, He is only 12.3hh but he is the same widthways Lol, Im 5.3, and he rides like a normal size horse, but on stumps Lol!!! This was taken at the beginning of last season and he has bulked out even more now!

EMMA450_zps1718416d.jpg

Visit site
This is my Lownthwaite fell as a 5yo learning to jump.

jaspjump.jpg

He's about to turn 17... Jeezo I've had him for longer than I realised! Veteran showing is in store for him next year until I get too cheesed off with the dodgy judging lol!

He loves hunting I just wish I had the time in winter to keep him fit for it.

Walrus

Visit site
Thank you erwina, he has only really started jumping this year but thinks it's much more fun than flat work!

Jackkibag your pony is lovely, I'm very jealous of his silky mane, we get marked down as my pony has quite a coarse frizzy mane so tends to look like Tina turner on a bad day (another reason to do more jumping!)

OP, hope your viewing goes well, fells are indeed the dudes of the horse world, they're the original go anywhere, do anything 4x4!

dollyanna

Visit site
This is my Lownthwaite fell as a 5yo learning to jump.

jaspjump.jpg

He's about to turn 17... Jeezo I've had him for longer than I realised! Veteran showing is in store for him next year until I get too cheesed off with the dodgy judging lol!

He loves hunting I just wish I had the time in winter to keep him fit for it.

Can I ask who yours is? My two are both Lownthwaites, wondering if they are related :) PM me if you prefer.