is a wilkie magic bit dressage legal?

lisa_lou

Visit site
can anyone suggest me a dressage legal snaffle that is good for a horse that gets very excited and strong after canter work and tries to come above the bit and fight to go faster. In an ordinary snaffle she just takes hold of the bit, sets her jaw and i have nothing there then at all.

be positive

Visit site
can anyone suggest me a dressage legal snaffle that is good for a horse that gets very excited and strong after canter work and tries to come above the bit and fight to go faster. In an ordinary snaffle she just takes hold of the bit, sets her jaw and i have nothing there then at all.

Schooling is the only way, a bit can help but no dressage legal snaffle will do the job without the education in place, a hanging snaffle would be worth trying.

ridersince2002

Visit site
i think a waterford is dressage legal- give that a try. It is also a great peice of equipment for schooling (if you are just beating your head on a brick wall with conventional schooling- belive me: a pony i ride wouldnt be rideable if it wasnt for this bit- she is just too strong to school in a normal snaffle!) as it makes them alot lighter as they cant grab hold of it.
Some people may jump on me for suggesting it as it is considered to be fairly harsh, but i find that it is better to have control in a stronger bit than it is to battle in a weaker bit and make their mouth harder or worry about cutting it. And in a plain snaffle i cant have light hands as she does just go, however in this i can ride with a lot softer contact. Its deffinately worth a try if your situation sounds anything like my mini-beast :p

albeg

Visit site

A loose ring with a lozenge worked for me, as well as some good schooling sessions to get him listening to me, in particular my leg and seat, rather than having to fight him by pulling.
I'll do pretty much everything in it now, except hack out alone. And I used to do everything in a gag as he was so strong.

SO1

Visit site
wilkie is not dressage legal I ride my pony normally in a beval which is the NS version of a wilkie, when I do dressage I use a hanging cheek snaffle and drop noseband but it sounds like your horse is more tricky than my pony.