Is any time the right time for another dog??!!

maisie06

Visit site
Been offered a cracking Springer pup...... so many yes thoughts and some no thoughts too, I know it's double the work/expense ect but my lad is 3 coming 4 now so could be the ideal time to start bringing on a youngster andsomeone did say 2 dogs are actually easier than one....thoughts?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Do it. The only downside (apart from cost) of having two is I find you become slightly less able to go anywhere with the dogs than if you just have one. Like the pub or cafes after walks etc. But you'll be fine if you train them... my two are basically hooligans. 😂

maisie06

Visit site
What cons are there? Is your current dog ok with other dogs? If so, I don’t see why not.

Yes my dog is good with others, well apart from one vile terrier type who always tries to attack him....but he's a working dog and used to being with others, only cons are double cost!!! But I don't have a horse now...!!

Clodagh

Visit site
Yes my dog is good with others, well apart from one vile terrier type who always tries to attack him....but he's a working dog and used to being with others, only cons are double cost!!! But I don't have a horse now...!!

You need to spend the horse money. Like when you give up smoking and you should save the money you would have spent and use it on something special. So of course you need two dogs. Tip though, unless you are a complete purist, make one heel on the right, all mine heel on the left and it can cause tangles!

Clodagh

Visit site
Interesting. I have a left and right dog, although Zak needs reeling in, he’s like a cat on a lead, zigzags if he has too much lead!

All mine heel on the left, as is deemed correct for rough shooting. They go rough shooting about once every five years, but there you go! They all want to be next to my leg, so there's a lot of ducking and diving!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Both mine do both sides but that just means they both want to be on the side they deem nearest to any potential biscuits. They aren't exactly properly trained!

{97702}

Visit site
All 5 of mine heel on the left and we have no problems.... must be a sighthound thing 😊 (oh and a random terrier!!)

I’d go for it OP, I’ve added dogs at all sorts of times and it has always ended up Ok 😂😂

maisie06

Visit site
Going to see the pup soon, they are only 2 weeks old so I can have a good think, the litter are being sold word of mouth so I'm quite honoured to be asked if I would like one!

Clodagh- interesting about heeling one each side, I only beat and don't shoot so the left being "correct" wouldn't matter I take it? I guess my little lad has been an only dog for a almost 2 years since the old Terrier went that I worry about him feeling pushed out - but then again the upside is company when I'm out...

Leo Walker

Visit site
I worried about my big dog being pushed out. He wasnt. They seem to really like each other and after a few days of strangeness it was like the pup had always been here.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mines a whippet. Hes the most spoilt, self entitled little diva. If he was ok any normal dog will be :) The puppy loved him from the second he set eyes on him and its never changed

This is about an hour after we brought Floyd home

14568112_10154082340708667_8895050386376835832_n.jpg

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
We had been pondering the same for a few years. We have 2 Dalmatians who are both 13 1/2....had to face the fact that sooner or later 1 will leave the other behind :( They've always been together and the healthier one of the 2 is now deaf, i don't think he would be happy as an only dog.

So obviously we were very sensible.....and got 2 puppies!!! A springer and a dachshund. My husbands choice and my choice! They're all getting on ok. The 2 younger ones play together so don't annoy the old boys too much and if we take 1 pup out alone then the 2 old boys act as babysitters.

Don't get me wrong, its hard work but it does work if you want it to and put the effort in x

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So obviously we were very sensible.....and got 2 puppies!!! A springer and a dachshund. My husbands choice and my choice! They're all getting on ok. The 2 younger ones play together so don't annoy the old boys too much and if we take 1 pup out alone then the 2 old boys act as babysitters.

Don't get me wrong, its hard work but it does work if you want it to and put the effort in x

Good lord, you mad thing!

When we lost one, we went out and bought two more, utterly bonkers! They got along fine, but the puppies preferred each other to the big dog.
1567445980000.jpeg

gunnergundog

Visit site
As a bit of an aside......re dogs heeling on left or right, my view is that all dogs should heel equally on both sides. This is particularly true for the type of dog that curls itself around your leg whilst heeling, displaying a high degree of flexion through the cervical and early thoracic vertebrae.

You wouldn't work your horse just on the right rein would you? :D So, work your dogs equally on both sides to aid their even development and maintain their flexibility.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
As a bit of an aside......re dogs heeling on left or right, my view is that all dogs should heel equally on both sides. This is particularly true for the type of dog that curls itself around your leg whilst heeling, displaying a high degree of flexion through the cervical and early thoracic vertebrae.

You wouldn't work your horse just on the right rein would you? :D So, work your dogs equally on both sides to aid their even development and maintain their flexibility.

Or in a zig zag: Zak constantly demonstrates his flexibility. He’s positively sinuous!

Moobli

Visit site
Exciting!! What will you call him/her? 😁

After recently losing two of my three dogs I’d settled myself that I’d enjoy the 11 month for a year or two before adding another but I was contacted about a little bitch pup that was thought ideal for me by the breeder and my hubby so we are collecting her on Sunday.

Go for it!