Is anyone else here a rosette snob??

lottiepony

Visit site
As in I find it a bit insulting when I manage to get one and it's a naff cheap looking one! :p I know it's not the be all and end all and I should be grateful that I got placed etc but I've been handed some shockers in my time, perhaps we should start a album best and worst rosettes :D

miss_c

Visit site
Yup! Especially when it's a pricey entry. Paid £20 for a BD class to be given a 50p job, all the same colour just a different number in the middle, and they only gave them to 1st and 2nd. I know they don't HAVE to give them 1st to 6th depending on numbers, but it's a bit disheartening. Might have to dig out some of the naff ones lol.

On the other hand I've entered some 'cheap' classes and received BEAUTIFUL rosettes, always makes it seem all the more worth it, and in a materialistic way encourages you to go back to that venue!

Firewell

Visit site
Ha ha yes! I'm not a snob in terms of colour ;) but I know what you mean! Nothing worse than being thrilled at getting placed and then receiving some bald, wilting, one tier rosette ;).
I keep all my rosettes though, I write on the back what they were won for and I have always done this since my first show when I was 7yrs old. So even the scabby ones get preciously placed with the others :)

MandyMoo

Visit site

MandyMoo

Visit site
I keep all my rosettes though, I write on the back what they were won for and I have always done this since my first show when I was 7yrs old. So even the scabby ones get preciously placed with the others :)

SAME! :D I have rosettes going back to when I was 9 on my first pony, and have written every date, event and class on the back so when I look back I know what it was for :)

Firewell

Visit site
Yep BD are awful for rosettes! I don't know if that's because the shows are held at a lot of equestrian centres who bulk buy in the rosettes as cheap as possible.
I find Riding club shows tend to have the best rosettes, nice frilly big ones :D.
The nicest rosette I ever won was for PC showjumping at hickstead. It has hundreds of tiers and amazing metre long ribbons. It's 16 yrs old now and still has pride of place in my bedroom!

Leviticus

Visit site
SAME! :D I have rosettes going back to when I was 9 on my first pony, and have written every date, event and class on the back so when I look back I know what it was for :)

We're doing this for our kids now, although the two girls only really care if they get pink ones, and my son only cares that he beats his sisters :confused: Oh well, making memories for them I suppose.

Firewell

Visit site
My mum was the one who encouraged me to do it. It's very cool looking back now to see my childish handwriting from 1991! They hold good memories from old horses as well that are no longer with us :).

vam

Visit site
I little bit, i've won some intresting looking ones over the years. The best being a yellow/black tarten one as part of a trek type comp many years ago. It was a big rosette but the colour was :eek:. I have lots of those single layer tiny ones as well.
Tend to get good ones Aff jumping and at RC level from what i've noticed.
The one that is my fav is a Hickstead one that i got for coming 6th in the RC teams about 10 years ago, its one with all the multi levels so that the middle is higher than the outside. Hard to explain but Hickstead was the only place at the time you ever saw one. Now they give out standard ones, still very nice and i wouldnt care what it looks like if i got placed there but i cant help but its a shame as they where so special looking.

Leviticus

Visit site
What beauties! although key question what discipline are they for? as we may all need to change to get a few monsters like that!

my faves are for national hunter breeding 3y/o champion and grand hunter breeding champs. The rest are for a whole manner of things, from SJ to HJ to in hand showing. American rosettes seem to beat uk hands down

Vanha12

Visit site
Must be lucky one - haven't had a one tiered rosette since I was a teenager. BE ones (on the rare occasion we have been placed) are lovely.

jenbleep

Visit site
I certainly am...if I pay good money to enter I want a decent rosette!

My best were from Camel Valley riding club for a HT....

I've never affiliated but I would hope I'd get similar rosettes for the price of entry fees ;)

mcnaughty

Visit site
Agree! Some are very cheap and nasty but have to say the larger the show (better sponsors) the nicer the rosettes.

Went to a show last weekend and 7yo daughter came 4th - she was a bit peeved as the 5th rosette was a beautiful pale pink one!!

elsiex

Visit site
I end up just shoving the rubbish looking ones in the lorry! I used to get nicer ones when I jumped BS ponies, maybe because it was at a higher level then I jump now?

The Jays in bury st edmunds do sashes - they are quaint... haha

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
I've always dreamed of winning a rug :eek:

I may be dreaming for a verrrrry long time!

I'm still dreaming! :rolleyes:

Got a funny story about a sash and rug....my OH walked in to the secretary's office at a show that was holding Scope quals. He saw the sash and rug layed out on the table and he said to me "I'm guna win that rug!" I laughed and replied "really!?"

Sure enough he did!! :D:D

404641_10151072521396883_1754190858_n.jpg

(I took pic on my phone so no copyright!)

humblepie

Visit site
Love a nice rosette and I have rosettes going back to 1965!!! Like others I always write on the back what they are for, the date, the horse etc.

A single tier rosette is one of my best as it were - being placed in the first Foxhunter we jumped on my little ex racehorse. Thought we should have had a medal for getting round.

Am fortunate enough to have some lovely ones but they are all special in their own way.

My collection has not had much added to it recently as not been competing much so need to start bulking it up again! Can remember years ago jumping down at Windsor Park and sometimes getting four rosettes for one class - the Windsor Park rosette, the show sponsor rosette, the class sponsor rosette and then additional sponsor's rosette for winning.

Kikke

Visit site
The rosettes I get here are completely different to the once I got growing up back in Holland. For one different colours (orange is first there) but also alot more fancy now than back in the day but that might well be because times have moved on. But yes I have to admit I like a nice rosette when I have deserved one! ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm still dreaming! :rolleyes:

Got a funny story about a sash and rug....my OH walked in to the secretary's office at a show that was holding Scope quals. He saw the sash and rug layed out on the table and he said to me "I'm guna win that rug!" I laughed and replied "really!?"

Sure enough he did!! :D:D

404641_10151072521396883_1754190858_n.jpg

(I took pic on my phone so no copyright!)

Show off :mad:

:p

LCH611

Visit site
The one that is my fav is a Hickstead one that i got for coming 6th in the RC teams about 10 years ago, its one with all the multi levels so that the middle is higher than the outside. Hard to explain but Hickstead was the only place at the time you ever saw one. Now they give out standard ones, still very nice and i wouldnt care what it looks like if i got placed there but i cant help but its a shame as they where so special looking.

I had one of these when we won the Riding Clubs Teams of 3, and a sash & they were lovely . sadly they got stored in a shed for a while & were chewed by mice :(

marmalade76

Visit site
I keep them all and mine go back to 1980. I don't mind a single tier but not keen on cheap, nasty, badly made ones, especially when the entry fee is steep. For some reason I really don't like spotty ones, but they do seem to have gone out of fashion now.

My daughter had some a couple of years ago that were awful, they hadn't even bothered to stick the middle bits on straight!! They were only for the gymkhanna, though.

bogpony

Visit site
Hehe, I'm definitely a rosette snob, but then I'm also a hoarder and I don't think I ever throw any 'nice' ones away.

Unfortunately up here there is an increase in competition centres giving out the same rosette (ie. all one colour, but just with a different number placing on the disk).
One centre gives out green ones and one gives out blue ones.

I mean come on....RED means first...I want red if i win....(my other half has even imposed a 'red rosettes only' rule in the house to prevent me from covering all the walls in the kitchen with ribbon!!!)

One of the competition centres does however take their own rosettes back - effectively as currency - in their cafe, which i think is brilliant! :)
Afterall, once you have won one, all the rest look the same, so you may as well get a hot chocolate or a can of juice for giving it back again!!!

Oh and I LOVE sashes!!!

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
One of the competition centres does however take their own rosettes back - effectively as currency - in their cafe, which i think is brilliant! :)
Afterall, once you have won one, all the rest look the same, so you may as well get a hot chocolate or a can of juice for giving it back again!!!

Rowallan?? I'm the opposite- My rosette is worth much more than a can of juice lol!

bogpony

Visit site
Rowallan?? I'm the opposite- My rosette is worth much more than a can of juice lol!

No Kingsbarns - they are all identical navy rosettes, not very exciting...plus, its so cold up there, swapping one for a hot chocolate becomes much more appealing!!

soulfull

Visit site
I must be a snob too then. I keep all the nice 1st, 2nd and 3rds. But unless it's for something we haven't done before or a really nice one I give them away