Is anyone elses horse crazy at the moment?

CPW

Visit site
As title really, yes he has had a couple of weeks off due to weather but he has never been like this returning to work - he is an absolute physco - my normal placid gelding is almost unrideable.

He is turned out every day, is on a laminitic suitable diet - what is going on?????

x

Caritas

Visit site
Its the constant cold getting to him, Im sure he will settle, cant you lunge him before you ride?? A lot of people are in the same boat, iv been lucky enough to keep mine going but hes still quite fresh, good luck, take it steady and be safe, thats the main thing.

CPW

Visit site
Thank you Kaismom.

I keep him really rugged up day and night to stop him getting cold and always ride with an exercise rug on. Unfortunately I can't lunge as the arena is still semi frozen - although he lunged himself last night after standing up and pulling away!

But I want to keep him going as if I give him more time off he is going to be even worse when I do start him again.

Think I will purchase myself a body protector!

x

ucmeicu

Visit site
My yearling is out 24/7 but the last few days has been absolutely full of beans, nothings changed diet wise but she is really full of herself.

letrec_fan

Visit site
Yes! Has been in the stable for 2 weeks on off due to ice and now has been in solidly for about 3 weeks due to snow. I am going to try ride him in the school cause its getting a bit ridiculous now. I really want to turn out but the YO wont let us because they get really up tight about ruining the ground! If they let them out more often, they wouldn't go nuts and ruin the ground! He has been getting a casual stroll on the walker and thats it. I am praying he doesn't hurt himself when he first goes out!

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
I was early for my first job at work today and had to wait for my work partner outside some houses. There was a huge field opposite and for half and hour i sat and watched two horses playing and running up and down. They were very lively and were having a whale of a time. I think it was because it had just started snowing again maybe. I also noticed that the birds were acting slighlty crazed too
crazy.gif
A small sparrow type bird was chasing a seagull around through the air All very nice to watch but i think the animals are reacting to the cold. Perhaps they all have brain freeze
grin.gif

Stinkywellies

Visit site
Yep - mine is mental at the moment aswell and she has been turned away since the end of last year. She almost ran over the top of me the other day! I think its a combination of the weather and now getting bored - think she needs to start work again soon!!

Chex

Visit site
Mine too, which is weird cos he's in exactly the same routine as usual. I think its just the constant snow has sent him round the bend (ditto for me!). He keeps doing things out of character for him like escaping and breaking gates and being a general menace to other horses. Or he's just finally gone senile
crazy.gif

Magicmadge

Visit site
Yep my rising 3 cob filly has been charging around like a loon for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday i stood and watched her gallop from the bottom of the paddock doing MASSIVE bucks all the way (not looking forward to breaking after seeing them!!!) Then she went behind the barn for a few seconds, only to reappear again flat on the floor sliding along on her side for about 20 feet and ended up sliding under some electric fencing in to my other horses paddock. Amazingly the femce was intact. Then if that hadn't shocked her in to calming down, by tea time she was so desperate to come in she broke the electric tape and got in to the front paddock (that i keep for riding in) and knocked over a set of wings as she charged around in there. I was not impressed with her at all
mad.gif

0ldmare

Visit site
Nope, mine are looking quite depressed poor loves. They were mega excited when it originally snowed, but now they are ' Oh, its snowing again, can we come back into our nice warm stables pleeeeease'.

mahorse

Visit site
Mine stretched her forelegs for about 6 minutes the other day while trying to lunge! I never knew she could look so tall!!
crazy.gif

Oh and that was with sedalin aswell!

Gingerbird

Visit site
YES! My 5 yr old has not done any proper work for a month due to the weather. He's started rearing inhand going to and from the field so is now being led everywhere in a chiffney! I can't get to cross as he's seriously fed up and bored but I can't say I'm enjoying him very much at the moment
frown.gif

GoingRoundInCircles

Visit site
Far too lively! Very limited turnout due to ice and snow, was being ridden every day but then kicked me in the head while lunging so now isn't being ridden or lunged either as I can't.