Is anyone elses pony obsessed with water?

Palindrome

Visit site
Mine dislikes water (he is a bit soft) but we hack out with a friesian who absolutely adores water, keeps pawing into every puddle splashing my boy in the process (who then gives him a wide berth).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My cob likes to play with water trugs. We use those big builders' trugs from B&Q/Wickes, she grabs the handle and either moves the bucket or tips it up - not so bad in the field, a pita in the stable! She seems to have introduced her friend to the game, too.

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
I had a youngster who would always trot up to a running tap and drink out of it. He also loved rolling in puddles.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My Old Cob thinks that hosepipes and baths are the work of some horse-eating devil :) However, get him near a river and he will launch in like a small hippopotamus :eek:. I once took a friend and her mare along to a local ford and my cob splashed so much as he happily waded up and down he scared the other horse and she wouldn't go in!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Both my ponies like to play in water-the Exmoor likes to swim and play in troughs-he's also a hay dunker. The Fell will cross the river but I've not seen him play in it-he does play with the hose though (mealie is less keen on the hose but will tolerate it).

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Absolutely loves it. He'll try to take the hose off you & gets you to squirt it on his face, he'll paw, splash about and roll in puddles in the field.

Until there's a puddle out hacking. He'll drink from it but hates crossing them!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I knew a pony that loved to stick her nose deep into water-filled troughs or (as in the photo) enamelled iron bath, shake her head vigorously underwater while blowing bubbles. Then she'd try and soak everyone in the vicinity.

My fried's horse used to put her head in the water nearly up to her eyes when she wanted a drink. really odd. Was a bit worried she was going to drown.

BBP

Visit site
BBPs a pain in the butt, he goes in to water obstacles but then I can’t get him out again as he’s too busy splashing! The harder you try to get him out the harder and faster he does it. He’s like an extra hazard on the course when the next horse comes through.
He does it in the field too when the furrows fill up.BEC855A6-6A84-403E-8FAA-E26A27F8C527.jpeg

rowan666

Visit site
We once caught my cob standing with all 4 feet in the water trough/bath when she was a yearling, she likes to steal the hosepipe when being bathed too, needless to say shes always the first one in the water at the beach too, she is a special case 😂

Annagain

Visit site
My friend had to trot through any significant water as fast as possible or her mare would get down and try to roll in it. She couldn't let her go in the sea on the beach until the end of the ride when she'd take her saddle off and let her roll. We'd then spend about 20 minutes trying to find somewhere for her to get back on!