Is anyone happy with what they have got?

ridefast

Visit site
I'm very happy, on a yard that is quite literally just down the road, with year round grazing on good draining land so even in this wet weather it's only normal muddy for winter, the YO is lovely, the other 2 liveries are lovely, riding is fab, and it's cheap! My horse is everything I want in a horse, and I brought her on from a youngster so I know it's all my own work. Paradise would be having my own place but this is the next best thing.

spacie1977

Visit site
It's just part of British culture isn't it? Moaning about everything. I think it's always particularly bad this time of the year when everyone is suffering a bit from the winter blues and post Christmas financial hang overs. I've noticed people are just as whingey at work too :-( I'm happy though and not noticed anyone else with the grumps at my yard :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would say that I am happy at the moment. I had a terrible year with my late mare, always teetering on the edge of PTS and worrying constantly. Now I miss her dearly and think about he every day. Still can't talk about her without blubbing, BUT I am happy. Sounds strange I know. She is at peace now and my yard is buzzing with activity thanks to a new livery who has breathed new life into the yard and I giving everyone lessons. Two of my old liveries who had left in sad circumstances (one because her horse had to be retired early - she was devastated and had to move him to retirement livery nearby, the other who lost her gelding to colic the day after my mare) are returning to the yard with new horses if I can work out a way of fitting them in!

Finally, I have a delightful new filly. She is the friendliest, most cheerful little soul who I hope will come as dear to me as my late mare was.

The only blot on the horizon is that due to the bad weather I have had to close the fields and my arthritic gelding has to come in for 7 hours during the day. He is out in the sand for the other 17 hours, but already he has really seized up. I have to make a choice now, see if I can get him into the blood bank where even in winter they are able to move around in their herd in large barns, PTS or bute him up. One bute doesn't make any difference to him so am going to try two, but may have to be making a decision soon.

asbo

Visit site
Not happy in the slightest lol, 3 lame horses, yard being sold for houses, stables have partly fallen down and farmer will not fix them, and no yards in the area with space!

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I'm another happy one!!!

I just got engaged!!!!!!

I'm hardly riding at all and I do miss it, but knowing that after 5 years of constant stress and fighting to keep the neurotic chestnut mare even slightly happy, I am happier not riding her and knowing that she is finally able to enjoy life in a huuuuuugggeee field.

And did I mention that I'm engaged? :)

ridefast

Visit site
I'm another happy one!!!

I just got engaged!!!!!!

I'm hardly riding at all and I do miss it, but knowing that after 5 years of constant stress and fighting to keep the neurotic chestnut mare even slightly happy, I am happier not riding her and knowing that she is finally able to enjoy life in a huuuuuugggeee field.

And did I mention that I'm engaged? :)

Aww congratulations!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I'm very happy with my horse and the yard I'm on, just need a baby-sitter so I can ride more (and some better weather).

I moved from a traditional livery yard to a farm last summer and its great, masses of grazing so very little poaching even now, within 1 mile of my house, 40acres to ride on (around the farm) as well as the usual bridleways and cheap, good, on-site hay. They built a brand new arena 2 months ago (sand and rubber with good drainage). Sure there are downsides (having to push through the waiting-to-be-milked cows each morning to reach the muck heap being one) but only minor things.

My 2 year old daughter loves it, there are other people with kids who bring them to the yard (which we didn't have before) so she has company, one of my fellow liveries has a pony for her daugher and lets mine ride it whenever I want (even if she isn't there) and another has mini-shetlands that my daughter is welcome to groom and play with too.

I have a nice sensible cob who (touch wood) has been sound pretty much the entire 5 years I've owned him, goes barefoot, stays well on hay and a balancer (too well sometimes!) and is generally easy all round.

Embo

Visit site
Urgh, I hate you all!! lol

Only joking. I was sort of happy (despite yard theif still at large) until I went and visited a friend at her yard on Sunday. Was offered a part-livery space (currently DIY) with lots of benefits which would be perfect for us as school is useable and turnout is in very good order...

But after working it all out, it would just be too expensive at the moment. Now all the leaks in the roof, both schools deep and flooded and boggy, trashed fields seem ten times worse :(

Dang.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I count my blessings every day. :) I rent my own land so I'm free to do my own thing and come and go as I please. We have 3 very content, healthy equines who considering their ages (17, 21, 25) is more than I could ever wish for.

The only (rather large) fly in the ointment is that my landlord is looking for planning permission to build houses on my grazing land so we may be homeless at some point!

Other than that....life is good! :)

Ibblebibble

Visit site
some days as i trudge through the mud with a builders tonne bag of hay on my back i don't feel exactly over whelmed with happiness lol but when i think about what i have i feel very lucky! my parents couldn't afford to buy me a pony as a child and i never believed i would actually ever own one of my own, but here i am renting my own little yard with 2 horses and daughters wonderful pony and i know i am very very lucky.
so my fields flood a little, so what, i have a yard i can use on those days, so i don't always get to ride as much as i would like, but so what ,taking my daughter out for rides is as much fun too! i can go sit in the field in spring/summer and watch my girls eating and mooching and again i realise how lucky i am to have them in my life. ( i could sit there in autumn and winter too but i might seize up in the cold and damp).

cavalo branco

Visit site
Yes, more than just happy! I adore my 2 boys, am lucky enough to have them at home now, can see them from the house, have a lovely school and several friends to hack with.
Also have a wonderful husband who helps with all the horsey chores.
My motto? Enjoy every moment!! Life is no dress rehearsal :) :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am happy. 2 happy healthy ponies, even if they do somewhat resemble swamp monsters. Baby pony has had a breakthrough moment in her ridden career and my boy is just so chilled out at the minute. Love to see their fluffy faces even if it is slinging it down and blowing a gale.

Ceriann

Visit site
I'll be honest and having my three at home is really hard work and when im paddling in my mud and puddles it can be a bit depressing! But i never thought i would be lucky enough to keep horses at home again (its my first winter at home with all 3) and am very happy to finally be looking after my old mare myself again. I love spending time with them - even if it is pitch black, cold and wet at 6 in the morning when i feed them - they are the only thing capable of making me re-focus if im stressed at work. The mare i ride might not win any awards for cuddlability and every 4-5 months or so i have to get her back checked and saddle done (or she lets me know she isnt happy!) but when she's right she doesnt put a foot wrong and i can literally finish rides beaming. My OH is also brilliant and helps me out so much with chores. Whilst i cant wait for spring/summer i wouldnt change a thing - well except for some hard standing (which is on the list for this year!).

Shantara

Visit site
99.9% happy!

Ned is being a fantastic patient, my field isn't TOO bad, they're not needing much extra food, I've just got them some straw and they seem to like that :) Only bad thing is Ned is getting over an abscess so I can't ride or do much, which is a shame, but I doubt I'd be doing much in this weather anyway!!

MiniMilton

Visit site
The only thing i'm missing is an indoor arena! Either that or no more wind and rain. But really thats just the spoilt fair weather rider in me. I'm very lucky with my fields, outdoor arena etc so I shouldn't complain at all

Merrymoles

Visit site
Yep!
Yard not perfect (work in progress)
Horse not perfect (work in progress)
Weather not perfect (but fingers crossed)
...but I'm not perfect either (work in progress for whole life) and we're doing fine!

daughter's groom

Visit site
Lucky me. Nice little pony, lovely yard, do as much/little as I want, retired early so time and money to pursue my hobby in a very modest way. Sorry if I sound smug 'cos I'm not.

Greylegs

Visit site
I'll join the "Happy" crowd as well. Got my perfect lovely highland who suits me down to the ground. Love riding him and doing our lessons and a bit of competing. He's cheeky, cute and loveable and the light of my life. The yard is lovely, great crowd of people and very good facilities (… a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for I guess…), helpful and lovely YOs and no people problems at all. Can't think of anything to complain about except the mud on our off road ride which is currently making it un-usable, but it will stop raining one day, I'm sure.

L&M

Visit site
Yes we are! My son and I have a lovely cob each and have a lot of fun.

They are healthy and sound (touch wood!) and no hassle at all, and seen as members of the family. We hack, hunt weekly and in the summer go on fun rides and to the beach. We occasionally compete but prefer the none pressure route as would rather go for a good gallop!

The weather is a pita, but that's winter - we just get on with it rain, snow, or shine.

However we are very fortunate as we keep them at home and I also have the luxury of working part time, so have the time and energy to ensure the horses are kept well excercised and managed regardless of weather conditions.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Im very happy atm.
Pony fixed and looking fab, yard still standing, keeping to budget, pony out 24/7, fed watered and keeping weight on, got two rides done at weekend , friend now sharing so pony is costing me £8 a month :D

GlitterPup

Visit site
I'm happy with everything I have as I realize I am very lucky to have my own pony so why complain!
Private yard with an amazing lady who I absolutely adore and a pony who has taught me so much and who I wouldn't ever be without :)

MochaDun

Visit site
I'm happy. Lovely yard, and the pony is what he is and I am the level of rider I am - ie, we don't set any vast expectations on each other :) and currently just enjoy hacking. I would like to be able to start having lessons again even if only once a month but that has to wait until the day (lord please may it come soon) when I finally have permanent decently paid work again and am not on 4-5 week temping contract. And the only other thing is that I hope he stays in goodish health as he ages, that's the only thing about him that causes me a bit of worry at times but will deal with that as and when it occurs.

Last edited:

moodymare1987

Visit site
I am happy where I am. Dead easy going yard. Suits me and the horse. Winter turnout but they look after field so don't go out when it's awful which I'm happy with. Easy access to bridle paths. Couldn't be happier and it's cheap. And I like the people on there just a handful of people which Is great.

DipseyDeb

Visit site
Nope I'm happy too, lovely yard, supportive YO and love my little herd, we won't be setting the world alight and the weather has meant restricted turnout (which has meant increased hay bills) but I couldn't imagine any other set up! :)

skint1

Visit site
I'm happy with my horse, I am not very happy with myself though. I've had better times at the yard but again I think that's more me than anything else

kassieg

Visit site
100 % yes ! Lucy is going amazing! Got our 1st comp of the year on sat, dressage on my own, 1st time towing to a comp on my own, makes me v . excited about the season to come !